The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

43 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am good with that.

He just reminds me so much of Edler when he was young

Its been a while, did we have concerns over Edlers decision making at that time? I know we didn't endlessly nitpick players back then but I can't recall what his development concerns were back in the day.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:24 AM, Boudrias said:

Jurmo has gotten stronger thru the tourny. Anxious to see how he does against Canada. WJC has lots of fast skating players who lose their checks which puts pressure on the d-men. What I like about Jurmo is his skating but also being able to find the open man for a pass. He passes well. 

I think he held up well. They didn't lose because of him, he helped them a lot.  The best transitional defenceman the Fins had and it wasn't close.  Sure he made more mistakes than some of the other Finish Defencemen but his bad habits can be coached out of him.  The natural talent he has you can't teach, all the things he needs to work on can be coached.  He may not have a super fast processor for the game but if he keeps his game simple and doesn't overthink he won't make as many mistakes.  The things he needs to work on can be coached.  He's at least 2 years away but if he lands wooow baby!  He's top 4 any day of the week.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am good with that.

He just reminds me so much of Edler when he was young

Edler was never that fast, but he has the same physical tools Edler had.  I loved Jurmo's physical game along the boards.  In that respect they're similar. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jurmo reminds of Tryamkin when we drafted him.  Big guy that can skate well but needs to process the game faster.  Tryamkin is bigger but I feel like Jurmo tougher with better skating/puck skills.  He showed well at the WJC and actually looked better than I thought he would.

He won't rag doll guys like Tryamkin but if he can follow a similar development he'll have a spot on the team.  Plus he's got some MMA skills (iirc) to help add toughness on the backend.

• Cheers 1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:42 AM, CanuckleHorse said:

This kid oozes talent and he has the smarts something they said he lacked watching him on that vid looked like he had a smoke hanging out of his mouth so calm under pressure.

Nice rip off of Bieksa's famous description of Chris Tanev.  Is that you, Dave Pratt? 

• Haha 2