The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Like Hughes, such an effortless skater.  He’ll never be a point producer like Hughes though.  Jurmo can be a real physical defenceman, his transition game is beautiful 

Jurmo has gotten stronger thru the tourny. Anxious to see how he does against Canada. WJC has lots of fast skating players who lose their checks which puts pressure on the d-men. What I like about Jurmo is his skating but also being able to find the open man for a pass. He passes well. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's certainly an older player on the Finnish roster and yet does not stand out ( exceept by Canuck fans ) I like what I see but it's a coin toss in he makes the NHL

Yeah I wouldn't give him more then a 25% chance of making the NHL.  Don't think he'll be able to process the game fast enough for the NHL as he makes quite a few puzzling decisions with the puck once or twice a game. 

If you asked me last year, I would've said 10%.  I really like how he's looked in the world juniors. 

Only watched the second and third periods but I thought Jurmo made some good plays. His skating, size, and puck skills make him look like an NHL player. Let’s hope they can coach up some of these mental mistakes he’s known for making. Maybe we can get an NHL’er out of him. 

• Cheers 2

He's a lefty, yet his signature move, used 3 or 4 times tonight, is to wheel round left to right behind his net, pursued by a forechecking forward, and as he comes round the net he stiff arms his left arm to fend off the forechecker/pursuer while controlling the puck with his right hand on the stick.  Obviously comfortable doing that under pressure. Makes me think he could convert to a right side D

55 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He's a lefty, yet his signature move, used 3 or 4 times tonight, is to wheel round left to right behind his net, pursued by a forechecking forward, and as he comes round the net he stiff arms his left arm to fend off the forechecker/pursuer while controlling the puck with his right hand on the stick.  Obviously comfortable doing that under pressure. Makes me think he could convert to a right side D

Unless he's not as adept at wheeling around right to left.

Ok.............I just hate reading regurgitated news. And a few of you, and you know who you are, are doing just that.

IMO, Jurmo had a great world junior's. No he is not a offensive juggernaut, but he kept his game simple, and used his strengths.

So, against his peers, in his last tournament (world juniors) he did just fine. 

IMO, he  stays in Sweden and plays 2/3 years, then lets just wait and take a look at him

Let's leave the expert analysis to the experts..............he did not disappoint...........that is what is important here!

Don't expect points, hope for stability, and defensive awareness.

I was happy with what I seen..

• Cheers 1

I'm pleasantly surprised  the people worried about Joni's lack of points give Demko a free ride for the same thing.

It means they recognize not all positions in hockey require the player to post points.

Just need to expand the "points not needed" target group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm pleasantly surprised  the people worried about Joni's lack of points give Demko a free ride for the same thing.

It means they recognize not all positions in hockey require the player to post points.

Just need to expand the "points not needed" target group.

It drives me off the wall when I see people whining about defensive defencemens' lack of offensive output.  That's the equivalent of complaining about Fin because he did a poor job of mopping the floor in the offices while the janitor was on vacation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok.............I just hate reading regurgitated news. And a few of you, and you know who you are, are doing just that.

IMO, Jurmo had a great world junior's. No he is not a offensive juggernaut, but he kept his game simple, and used his strengths.

So, against his peers, in his last tournament (world juniors) he did just fine. 

IMO, he  stays in Sweden and plays 2/3 years, then lets just wait and take a look at him

Let's leave the expert analysis to the experts..............he did not disappoint...........that is what is important here!

Don't expect points, hope for stability, and defensive awareness.

I was happy with what I seen..

we don't need to sign him until 2024, so yep let him percolate over there for 1 more year, and bring him to Abby at 20. 

• Cheers 1