The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

32 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Very encouraged by the steps Jurmo is making. Still think he’s a bit of long shot to make an impact on the NHL roster. Not an inherently instinctive player , and that could bite him as he moves up the professional ranks. But if he can further the trajectory of growth over the next few years….maybe we have something here.

Yeah you could see it on a recent rush where he used the speed and size to weave his way through the Germans and then just lost it rather easily when he had a clear lane to the net but didn't see it.

• Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah you could see it on a recent rush where he used the speed and size to weave his way through the Germans and then just lost it rather easily when he had a clear lane to the net but didn't see it.

Yep, I saw the play, and it was exactly what I was referring to in my post just minutes earlier.

Again, rooting for the kid, but in the interest of not overhyping our own prospects (as many do) we should also strive to have well balanced takes on the players. And I get him not seeing PP time, but with his size and mobility it probably says a little bit about his processing of the defensive game that he’s not involved much, if at all, on the PK.

But let me end with a positive note in that he’s exceeded my expectations of him going into the tournament. If he could develop into a tough-to-play-against, mean SOB who is decent defensively with above average mobility for big man and be a 5 or 6 D man….then we’ve won the 3rd round lottery.

Patience will be necessary with big Jurmo.

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

How's the second coming of Edler coming along? This was the kid people were saying is Edler 2.0 right? Jokes aside, I hope he's doing well. Not too many big bodies in the system.

Maybe a better skater than Edler. Like what  saw of him. Patience and coaching. Get him to Abby asap. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jurmo is listed as 6'3 207 lb

In two years if could grow an inch 6'4 and put on 20 lbs

6'4  227lb

Would be a great size

But he needs proper coaching

(switch him to the right maybe)

He’s already 194cm (6’4.4”) per the Liiga website, so possibly he’ll even get to 6’5”.

225+ lbs does seem fairly likely, given his frame, and once he’s fully matured through his early-mid 20’s and puts in a few offseasons of work in the weight room.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Im really starting to think Jurmo has turned a corner in his development.  When he keeps things simple and playing sound defensively, that will get him into the NHL.  His transition and speed with the puck are pretty to watch.  

He skates as well as any big defensemen out there

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I see what the critics mean. Tough shift with multiple mistakes trying to force things, not finding the best option.

He is still so young.

Up against (perhaps) the world's best young players, and on defense.

It takes time to learn to do everything correctly.

He is a very intriguing prospect with his size and skating as well as intangibles like good character, teammates like him, etc.

Go Joni Go   Go Go   Go Joni Go    Joni Be Good!

Edited by Goal:thecup
  • Haha 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

He is still so young.

Up against (perhaps) the world's best young players, and on defense.

It takes time to learn to do everything correctly.

He is a very intriguing prospect with his size and skating as well as intangibles like good character, teammates like him, etc.

Go Joni Go   Go Go   Go Joni Go    Joni Be Good!

Agreed very intriguing, elite physical attributes, its just a matter of his decision making.

I heard a prospect 'expert' on the radio recently (can't remember which, maybe Wheeler) saying he thinks Jurmo could be a good 3rd pair D, but IQ might limit him.

I could see that, elite attributes but prone to mistakes when he doesn't simplify. Maybe similar to Luca Sbisa though a better skater. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed very intriguing, elite physical attributes, its just a matter of his decision making.

I heard a prospect 'expert' on the radio recently (can't remember which, maybe Wheeler) saying he thinks Jurmo could be a good 3rd pair D, but IQ might limit him.

I could see that, elite attributes but prone to mistakes when he doesn't simplify. Maybe similar to Luca Sbisa though a better skater. 

Let's kick it down the road; bit too early to conclude too much imo. 

Cheers.  (Luca Sbisa!  You dog, Smash!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sbisa wasn't that bad in the first year! :unsure:

:lol: It'll be interesting to see how Jurmo progresses from here now that's he's clearly on the radar.

Cheers!

I liked Sbisa, it wasn't his fault we did not have any better defensemen, and he stood up for his mates and could hold his own (most times?).

He got beat a little too easily for the role he was put in but had a good attitude etc.

JJ could be a serviceable to good defenseman for us for a long time if he works out.

We need to pump the D pipeline up!

Pump You Up Hans And Franz GIF - Pump You Up Hans And Franz Arnold  Schwarzenegger - Discover & Share GIFs

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1