The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

The Draft Analyst just posted his last draft lists...........If we are taking a forward......I want one of these...........pleeeeeeease!

9 Mason McTavish C 30-Jan-03 Peterborough OHL 6’2 207 L CAN
Violence and aggression are just two of several commonplaces in your typical McTavish shift, but he’s also a highly-skilled playmaker and shooter who causes all sorts of matchup problems for defenses. He too had to play in Europe after his solid 2019-20 campaign with the OHL’s Peterborough Petes; much to the chagrin of the Swiss League opposition who had to deal with his nightly assortment of hits and snipes.
10 Cole Sillinger LW 16-May-03 Sioux City USHL 6’0 194 L CAN
Maybe we need to put an asterisk next to Sillinger’s draft-year league because he’s a real Western Canadian kid who was drawn to the top U.S. junior circuit by the pandemic. That turned out to be bad news for USHL opponents, as Sillinger torched the league to a tune of 1.48 points per game, whcih was good for fourth overall. But Sillinger, whose father Mike played 17 NHL seasons, didn’t have the luxury of a deep supporting case. He’s a powerful forward but also one with exceptional hands and playmaking ability.
11 Fyodor Svechkov C 5-Apr-03 SKA-Neva VHL 6’0 178 L RUS
Dominant league play? Check. Productive international tournaments? Check. High hockey IQ? Creativity? Strong two-way play? Check, check, and another check. There simply isn’t enough room in this space to detail how good a center Svechkov is, but don’t take our word for it. Just ask Russia’s vaunted SKA program, which paid a hefty price to acquire him from lowly Lada Togliatti.
12 Aatu Raty C 14-Nov-02 Karpat SM-Liiga 6’1 177 L FIN
Raty once was considered the closest thing we had to a lock for the No. 1 pick in this particular draft. But a depth role on a traditionally-competitive Karpat squad in Finland’s SM-Liiga kept both his minutes and his scoring opportunities to a minumim. Nevertheless, his size, shot, and two-way play improved from last year to help Raty stay in the conversation for the top 10.

Honestly I really don't think Mason McTavish will be available at 9. It really is a premium position and he has the frame, skill and family name.

Also a fresh u18 performance in scouts minds.

His rankings really opened my eyes to Lambos. More intrigued by him now

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

As far as those unexpected players, one guy I'm really curious about it Matvei Petrov. Wasn't at the initial U17s, but then at 5 Nation U17s he played on the second line with Chibrikov, and then he was an extra forward at U18s. Had pretty good numbers in MHL. But I just really, really liked what I saw from him at 5NU17s. His skating looks really dynamic, and his overall skillset and hockey IQ seemed impressive. He's also 6'2. Sounds like he's expected to go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. As far as I can tell from what I've seen he looks like he could be a serious steal and a legitimate offensive weapon in the NHL.

Another couple players I was really high on from limited viewings at U17s were James Malatesta and Riley Kidney. Malatesta is a small guy around 5'9, but he threw a couple big hits, had a couple breakaways, and scored a pretty slick goal on one of them. Kidney showed some good skills but one of the highlights of the tournament was he absolutely lit up Sasha Pastujov on a reverse hit. Just one of those moments, because Pastujov was creating offense every time he got on the ice and looked unstoppable, and he took a run at Kidney and just got brick walled. The crowd went nuts.

At the 5NU17s I loved Atte Lehikoinen's defensive game, but wasn't sure about his puck-moving abilities. Just from looking at the stats, apparently they are pretty much non-existent. Still, might be worth a look in the later rounds.

Riley Kidney I really like I'm a big fan of fight in the dog players. 17 points in 9 playoff games for acadie bathurst gotta love that. I used to watch Artyom Manukians games when I got the chance there is just so much fire in his belly even though there is no chance he makes the NHL I love that JB took a chance on a guy like that.

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Honestly I really don't think Mason McTavish will be available at 9. It really is a premium position and he has the frame, skill and family name.

Also a fresh u18 performance in scouts minds.

His rankings really opened my eyes to Lambos. More intrigued by him now

My 2 cents on Lambos: I had him ranked first overall in my initial rankings, after U17s. And even at the start of this season, he was still in my top three. But that needs some explanation. I was forthright in my assessment that I thought he was one of the highest upside players in the class, but that there were major question marks. I remember after my first viewing of him I was raving about his smooth skating and defensive game, and at the end I said, "he did make some really weird decisions, but I'm gonna take that as a sign he's creative". The more I watched, the more I was impressed with many different aspects of his game, but the weird decisions became less and less cute. At times they were downright egregious. But the strange thing was, it wasn't like he was making bad decisions under heavy pressure - a pretty common theme for young defensemen. He just made bad or strange decisions for no apparent reason.

I was really hoping that he would put some of my confusion to rest this season, but he went over to SM Sarja in Finland, where I saw two of his games, and he looked really good and put up big numbers, but that's a lower quality league than any of the CHL leagues. Then he got into two Liiga games, which were a disaster; he played about two minutes each game. Then he came back to WHL and stopped playing due to some mysterious illness or injury. So as much as I like him, I had to drop him way down my rankings, because I had all these question marks that he just didn't get the opportunity to address, while all these other prospects were proving themselves in all sorts of ways.

As for what type of player he is, the comparison I've seen most often is Alex Pietrangelo. I don't really like the comparison, but I can see where it comes from. He's a defensive defenseman first and foremost, but also has some major offensive upside. The big difference is that while, yes, he's excellent defensively (although there are some question marks there too), he's not a safety-first player with the puck. This is a kid who loves to try for the long stretch breakout pass, loves to challenge forecheckers on the breakout, and loves to challenge defenders in the offensive zone.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

My 2 cents on Lambos: I had him ranked first overall in my initial rankings, after U17s. And even at the start of this season, he was still in my top three. But that needs some explanation. I was forthright in my assessment that I thought he was one of the highest upside players in the class, but that there were major question marks. I remember after my first viewing of him I was raving about his smooth skating and defensive game, and at the end I said, "he did make some really weird decisions, but I'm gonna take that as a sign he's creative". The more I watched, the more I was impressed with many different aspects of his game, but the weird decisions became less and less cute. At times they were downright egregious. But the strange thing was, it wasn't like he was making bad decisions under heavy pressure - a pretty common theme for young defensemen. He just made bad or strange decisions for no apparent reason.

I was really hoping that he would put some of my confusion to rest this season, but he went over to SM Sarja in Finland, where I saw two of his games, and he looked really good and put up big numbers, but that's a lower quality league than any of the CHL leagues. Then he got into two Liiga games, which were a disaster; he played about two minutes each game. Then he came back to WHL and stopped playing due to some mysterious illness or injury. So as much as I like him, I had to drop him way down my rankings, because I had all these question marks that he just didn't get the opportunity to address, while all these other prospects were proving themselves in all sorts of ways.

As for what type of player he is, the comparison I've seen most often is Alex Pietrangelo. I don't really like the comparison, but I can see where it comes from. He's a defensive defenseman first and foremost, but also has some major offensive upside. The big difference is that while, yes, he's excellent defensively (although there are some question marks there too), he's not a safety-first player with the puck. This is a kid who loves to try for the long stretch breakout pass, loves to challenge forecheckers on the breakout, and loves to challenge defenders in the offensive zone.

Just a thought that may apply here, depending on if he can settle down and make safe plays....

I really like players who can think and play outside the box sort of speak.....meaning they are stretching themselves, and testing themselves

Some of its out of boredom, if too good for the surrounding players, and some of it experimenting.

Now if he can real it in and play normal when it is asked of him, then its a good thing what he does

If he does not have that ability, then it is a flaw

• Like 1

I would consider Jakub Brabenec if he falls to 4+ Rounds. The 6'2'' 176lbs  Czech youngster is a very good skater and more of a playmaking C. Stood out on the Czech team at the u18s and spent the year playing pro in Europe. I feel he has good upside despite what little there's to watch and read. Also is one of the youngest players in the draft. 

I feel that he could potentially be a steal in the later rounds.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think I have pretty much made up my mind on top 10 draft order in terms of from a Canucks perspective. I have watched enough shift by shifts and games of all of them and many others that unless a whole bunch of new footage became available I feel comfortable with this order strictly from a Canucks perspective.

1 Clark

2 Beniers

3 Luke

4 Eklund *BPA

5 Lysell *BPA

6 Edvinsson

7 Mctavish

8 Wallstedt *BPA

9 Sillinger

10 Svechkov

11 Raty

Soo I'm really waaaaaay more interested in the glimmer men. If you're like me you sat down to watch footage of a certain player or certain games because there were players you wanted to watch and someone unexpected caught your attention. Who's got late round dark horses? 

Evan Nause anyone? LHD Offense defense physicality skating I like what I see. 

Roman Schmidt 6'6  Behemoth stay home RHD Skates incredibly well. Turns better than Juolevi. Its almost as if his parents were figure skaters moves in all directions well uses his reach and if he misses he won't with the body. 

Samuel Helneius This is one big man zipping all over the ice.

Kirill Kirsanov. Great 2 way play impressive at stuffing attackers before they have a chance to create anything.

It’s very interesting that you don’t have Power in there. I must say though that based on stats alone (as I haven’t been watching the tourney) he seems to be struggling at the world championship right now. Another -2 today. Then again the whole Canadian team seems to be struggling.

Eklund has been making his way up in my list. He and Clarke are the two players I think I would like to see the Nucks target if we win one of the lottery picks. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I don't like Clarke cause he is an awkward skater. I have seen several videos of him tripping over his own legs.

Hughes is definitely the one I want because he looks to be the best skater for dmen in the draft

I'd say Edvinsson is a best skater for Dmen in the draft, but saying that, the thought of having 2 Hughes bros on the team is cool. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

As far as those unexpected players, one guy I'm really curious about it Matvei Petrov. Wasn't at the initial U17s, but then at 5 Nation U17s he played on the second line with Chibrikov, and then he was an extra forward at U18s. Had pretty good numbers in MHL. But I just really, really liked what I saw from him at 5NU17s. His skating looks really dynamic, and his overall skillset and hockey IQ seemed impressive. He's also 6'2. Sounds like he's expected to go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. As far as I can tell from what I've seen he looks like he could be a serious steal and a legitimate offensive weapon in the NHL.

Another couple players I was really high on from limited viewings at U17s were James Malatesta and Riley Kidney. Malatesta is a small guy around 5'9, but he threw a couple big hits, had a couple breakaways, and scored a pretty slick goal on one of them. Kidney showed some good skills but one of the highlights of the tournament was he absolutely lit up Sasha Pastujov on a reverse hit. Just one of those moments, because Pastujov was creating offense every time he got on the ice and looked unstoppable, and he took a run at Kidney and just got brick walled. The crowd went nuts.

At the 5NU17s I loved Atte Lehikoinen's defensive game, but wasn't sure about his puck-moving abilities. Just from looking at the stats, apparently they are pretty much non-existent. Still, might be worth a look in the later rounds.

Roman Schmidt is a player I have my eye on for the 2nd round. But, im praying Scott Morrow slides to us in the 2nd round, thats who I want. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As I was eating supper, I was thinking of the draft and also Benning's comments of skill and speed. I agree with the skill part and "above" average speed, but I think for the most part, most players drafted in the top 1/2 of the 1st round have "decent" skating skills and speed. I would also say., most atre above average in skill. That does not mean they will be elite, but certainly above average. 

I look at Virtanen to really illustrate that, in that he has skating, and shooting down in spades, and really it is the intangibles that he is missing...aka, elite IQ, and aggression.

So when Benning says he wants skill and skating.....sure, at #9, I think it is in almost every prospect.

This brings me to Mason McTavish, and what I am reading is that he is a good offensive player, who skates well, with above average IQ. He is also a beast on the ice and at 207 and 6'1" and only 17, he will get heavier for sure, and may still grow a little.

Johnson on the other hand is a lighter guy, who can be bounced (simple physics). Now, when I look at the NHL playoffs and what you see is needed, and what we are missing is high end skill that  is on the ice 20 minutes a night and who can also play that physical game.

I would love to hear Benning's thoughts on the prospects I proposed...aka McTavish, Raty, Sillinger and Svechkov, I would like to know, what his thoughts on who gets to the corner first, who comes out with the puck, and if he scores when he comes out.

I actually think there is more than one here, but McTavish is the guy who leaves the other guys stuck to the boards in the corner when he comes out with the puck. I am reminded of JT Miller and how he plays the game....is McTavish that type of player?

Haven't watched enough of McTavish to say. He has a very quick shot, seems like a very high iq player with high compete. Apparently scouts have said, once he is in front of the net, good luck to any dmen to move him out of there. He just plants himself and creates a ton of pressure in front of the net. His skating isn't great, but it's definitely not bad. He provides versatility with being able to play multiple positions (maybe a Miller replacement). I would be happy with him being a Canuck. 

If we don't win one of the top 2 picks. I could see us selecting Eklund, Lysell, McTavish or Svechkov. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I'd say Edvinsson is a best skater for Dmen in the draft, but saying that, the thought of having 2 Hughes bros on the team is cool. 

Like his brother, Luke has defensive inconsistencies. Seem to be more of an issue with him than with Clarke/Edvinsson/Power. Scouts think this is coachable though and feel he needs a year or two of seasoning in Michigan.

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Interesting option nonetheless. But if there are that many question marks I guess at 9 he could be a higher risk pick then what is available. Thanks for sharing that I appreciate it

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Nave said:

I always got the impression that Benning and Brackett were unified in making picks. But, Benning had the final say.

Benning has always had the final say but he's really trusted his scouts a lot and they've built a good grading system for qualities that they look for. 

I know that @Sp3nny was just pointing out different attributes that Jim and Brackett prefer, but it's not like it was all Jim or it was all Brackett all along.  I suspect that Minnesota's drafting will improve with Judd there, and I really think that our strong drafting will continue even without Brackett. 

On 5/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, hammertime said:

I mean if it makes you feel better Neutral Zone whoever they are has him 11. https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/neutral-zone they also have Lambos at 2 and Beniers at 18 :picard:

Undersized offensive Russian yaaaaa its no surprise he's flying below the radar. In 2 years he will be on the top of every top prospects outside the NHL list. My guess is Yzerman takes him with the Capitals pick. If not he may even make it to the 2nd round. He will likely get the Kaliev, Klim Kosten treatment. Of course for different reasons I'm not comparing him to those players other than the lens he well be looked at. 

I really really like how Chibrikov slices through the neutral zone I havn't looked at any controlled zone entry stats if there are any but I would wager in this area he's at or near the top of this draft class.

Concerns he seems largely ineffective when the puck is on the opposing teams stick. It's not for lack of trying at least he makes an effort to check and cover lanes but from what I have seen he doesn't seem very effective at it. At least he's not giving up on the play he certainly has the capacity and desire to improve. 

Kaliyev is American

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

The Draft Analyst just posted his last draft lists...........If we are taking a forward......I want one of these...........pleeeeeeease!

9 Mason McTavish C 30-Jan-03 Peterborough OHL 6’2 207 L CAN
Violence and aggression are just two of several commonplaces in your typical McTavish shift, but he’s also a highly-skilled playmaker and shooter who causes all sorts of matchup problems for defenses. He too had to play in Europe after his solid 2019-20 campaign with the OHL’s Peterborough Petes; much to the chagrin of the Swiss League opposition who had to deal with his nightly assortment of hits and snipes.
10 Cole Sillinger LW 16-May-03 Sioux City USHL 6’0 194 L CAN
Maybe we need to put an asterisk next to Sillinger’s draft-year league because he’s a real Western Canadian kid who was drawn to the top U.S. junior circuit by the pandemic. That turned out to be bad news for USHL opponents, as Sillinger torched the league to a tune of 1.48 points per game, whcih was good for fourth overall. But Sillinger, whose father Mike played 17 NHL seasons, didn’t have the luxury of a deep supporting case. He’s a powerful forward but also one with exceptional hands and playmaking ability.
11 Fyodor Svechkov C 5-Apr-03 SKA-Neva VHL 6’0 178 L RUS
Dominant league play? Check. Productive international tournaments? Check. High hockey IQ? Creativity? Strong two-way play? Check, check, and another check. There simply isn’t enough room in this space to detail how good a center Svechkov is, but don’t take our word for it. Just ask Russia’s vaunted SKA program, which paid a hefty price to acquire him from lowly Lada Togliatti.
12 Aatu Raty C 14-Nov-02 Karpat SM-Liiga 6’1 177 L FIN
Raty once was considered the closest thing we had to a lock for the No. 1 pick in this particular draft. But a depth role on a traditionally-competitive Karpat squad in Finland’s SM-Liiga kept both his minutes and his scoring opportunities to a minumim. Nevertheless, his size, shot, and two-way play improved from last year to help Raty stay in the conversation for the top 10.

the second round has several RHD options this year between 41 and 64 ... man I hope we don't trade that pick this year.

Not sure who the "best" of the four RHD are in his list is but unless something funky happens before we pick in the 2nd round 1/4 should be available: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-rankings-final-33-64-may/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the second round has several RHD options this year between 41 and 64 ... man I hope we don't trade that pick this year.

Not sure who the "best" of the four RHD are in his list is but unless something funky happens before we pick in the 2nd round 1/4 should be available: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-rankings-final-33-64-may/

Yes , he has these guys a little low in comparison to where I have seen them in other draft boards, especially Ceulemans.

Morrow (41) Ceulemans (51) Schmidt (61) and Bar (64)....................where is Mailloux?

I love the size of these guys! 

IMO, I this is how you will see it playout........

Ceulemans ( 10 to 22 OA range)

Morrow  ( 22 to 32 OA range)

Schmidt (30 to 50 OA range)

Mailloux (30 to 50 OA range)

Bar (40 to 60 OA range)

Oh, and I see Hemosalmi going in the 25 to 35 range

If we came out of this draft with McTavish, Schmidt and Bar, I would be happy, as it would really give us a step up in our RHD and our aggression. And along with Woo, we would have a very aggressive right side, to go along with a very finesse LHD side.

My biggest concern is not reaching, which I don't think Benning does anyways...............

Now, if we could get one of Ceulemans or Morrow, to go along side Woo, I would be doing the happy dance! :emot-parrot:

But really want McTavish at 10 OA

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes , he has these guys a little low in comparison to where I have seen them in other draft boards, especially Ceulemans.

Morrow (41) Ceulemans (51) Schmidt (61) and Bar (64)....................where is Mailloux?

I love the size of these guys! 

IMO, I this is how you will see it playout........

Ceulemans ( 10 to 22 OA range)

Morrow  ( 22 to 32 OA range)

Schmidt (30 to 50 OA range)

Mailloux (30 to 50 OA range)

Bar (40 to 60 OA range)

Oh, and I see Hemosalmi going in the 25 to 35 range

If we came out of this draft with McTavish, Schmidt and Bar, I would be happy, as it would really give us a step up in our RHD and our aggression. And along with Woo, we would have a very aggressive right side, to go along with a very finesse LHD side.

My biggest concern is not reaching, which I don't think Benning does anyways...............

Now, if we could get one of Ceulemans or Morrow, to go along side Woo, I would be doing the happy dance! :emot-parrot:

I suppose its possible you could see Bar slip to 73rd? you might get your wish. It would be weird having two Scmidts tho. 

But the starts seem to be aligning to get us another RHD in the 2nd round. 

• Cheers 1

I'm all for snatching up as many mobile, defensively responsible RHDs as we can! 

Though I'm very interested to see where Sebastian Cossa goes.

If he's there in the 2nd for some bizarre reason, we gotta take the monster Canadian goaltender for our cupboard.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suppose its possible you could see Bar slip to 73rd? you might get your wish. It would be weird having two Scmidts tho. 

But the starts seem to be aligning to get us another RHD in the 2nd round. 

Yeah, it could sound like de ja vu ...............Schmidt, passes to Schmidt who works the give and go, and passes back to Schmidt, who backs it in, Assist to Schmidt......LOL

I guess that only happens if Schmidt moves over to the left side....lol

• Vintage 1