The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, Barzal was oddly overlooked in his draft year. Other than missing some time to injury in his draft year, what had he done to hurt his stock? Great D minus 1 year, great draft year despite games missed, lit up the U 18’s. Was already a sublime skater, tremendous hands, great hockey sense, great passer, etc. He looked every bit the same kid who went first overall in the Bantam draft. 

Eventhough we will never get Eklund, Eklund stylistically is very similar to Barzal including body build.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Yes in that order we should pick because who doesn't want a Canadian version of Petey and his (Johnson) favourite team in interview I saw was Canucks, but also I see some high risk high reward potential in off the board picks to be specific in Raty and Chibrikov as well. Not high on Lysell on shift by shift videos I saw.

Ugh. Watch scouching on lysell. Lulea was a $&!#show and frolunda while being good at finding talent kind of likes burying their young guns

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We could use an offensive (preferably RH) winger but more so a (preferably RH) D. 

A 3rd C could be had with our 2nd/3rd. 

I think McTavish is the most likely to be an “off-the-board” pick from teams ahead of us. 

Only team I see drafting Wallstedt ahead of us is the Sharks since everyone else has a G and/or much bigger needs. Cossa is also available at 25-35 and he looks like he could have star potential as well. Kolosov is the next best G IMO already playing some games in the KHL and put up impressive numbers as a 19 year old. 

Wallstedt will either go to Sharks, Wings or even LA I think. He just has that good size and that number 1 goalie of future vibe. Wings analysts from yesterdays wings draft lottery coverage said they lack D men, however Luke Hughes however has character issues via many sources unlike Quinn.

2 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Wallstedt will either go to Sharks, Wings or even LA I think. He just has that good size and that number 1 goalie of future vibe. Wings analysts from yesterdays wings draft lottery coverage said they lack D men, however Luke Hughes however has character issues via many sources unlike Quinn.

But lacks the athleticism of a vasilesky or askarov

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

Wings and LA have a G. Kings have almost just as much reason to draft Wallstedt as we do given Peterson’s age and performances being pretty much on par with Demko. Kings also really need a D this draft. 

DET has Petruzzeli, NCAA goalie of the year and Hobey Baker finalist. They also have the Capitals 1st and could draft Cossa who is also a really good G in this draft. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lysell is my guy this year.

Yeah I like him too. I like Guenther better as a RH winger but I doubt he’ll be available at 9. Lysell good character guy too from all accounts which might tickle JB’s pickle. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Yes in that order we should pick because who doesn't want a Canadian version of Petey and his (Johnson) favourite team in interview I saw was Canucks, but also I see some high risk high reward potential in off the board picks to be specific in Raty and Chibrikov as well. Not high on Lysell on shift by shift videos I saw.

Yeah, other than Clarke, KJ is the player I hope JB drafts but I will refer to JB on this one (hope we keep the pick).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wings and LA have a G. Kings have almost just as much reason to draft Wallstedt as we do given Peterson’s age and performances being pretty much on par with Demko. Kings also really need a D this draft. 

DET has Petruzzeli, NCAA goalie of the year and Hobey Baker finalist. They also have the Capitals 1st and could draft Cossa who is also a really good G in this draft. 

Peterson though isnt elite though, he is no Quick when he was in his prime in my opinion. But you are right in general of organizational need.

Sharks- Goalie

Wings- D

LA- D or G

Just now, PositionOfPower said:

Positionally he is excellent with perfect size to the point shooters have no choice but to try to shoot high plus very important he has the charisma in terms of appearance that all elite players 

You are basing this off his junior tourneys i assume. So tell me how does he move from post post or get down into the butterfly that excites you. I could give a $&!# less about charisma since any nhler that made an impact in the league has lots of charisma

Just now, PositionOfPower said:

Peterson though isnt elite though, he is no Quick when he was in his prime in my opinion. But you are right in general of organizational need.

Sharks- Goalie

Wings- D

LA- D or G

IMO Kings need offensive players to surround their two-way blue chips and especially D.

Petersen is putting up elite numbers at the WC with USA right now. 1.01 GGA and .961 save percentage through 5 games. If Kings need another goalie they can draft one in the later rounds like we did with DiPietro. 

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

He just has to keep doing what he is doing. Dude is fun to watch

I get he is explosive in the highlights when he scores.etc. but take a close look at the shift by shift videos. Many times he gets knocked off the puck very very easily and lacks positional awareness without the puck. 

15 minutes ago, Isam said:

He just has to keep doing what he is doing. Dude is fun to watch

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I like him too. I like Guenther better as a RH winger but I doubt he’ll be available at 9. Lysell good character guy too from all accounts which might tickle JB’s pickle. 

Elite skater - check.

Right-handed - check.

Aggressive puck pursuit (ala Hoglander) - check.

Playmaker - check.

Funny, @PositionOfPowercompared Eklund to Barzal - but I was thinking that Lysell has similarities to Barzal in terms of skating. It's not just the speed he possesses, but the agility and the low-centre gravity that Barzal does. 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Lysell

How ya like that for a balanced top-6?

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

I get he is explosive in the highlights when he scores.etc. but take a close look at the shift by shift videos. Many times he gets knocked off the puck very very easily and lacks positional awareness without the puck. 

Weight can corrected overtime man. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Elite skater - check.

Right-handed - check.

Aggressive puck pursuit (ala Hoglander) - check.

Playmaker - check.

Funny, @PositionOfPowercompared Eklund to Barzal - but I was thinking that Lysell has similarities to Barzal's. It's not just the speed he possesses, but the agility and the low-centre gravity that Barzal does. 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Lysell

How ya like that for a balanced top-6?

For guy similar in size to Hoglander he gets knocked off the puck very easily unlike Hogz. In the NHL where space is at a premium with more physical play there is a risk to picking him.

2 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

And you got to watch some full games. The devils in the details can be misleading sometimes. Take a look at mctavish