The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 hours ago, Isam said:

Johnson biggest problems is footspeed and how he likes to force plays that arent there. His footspeed will improve with size, but he needs some serious coaching in taking the less high risk plays in order to be a more effective player then lysell. He is lightning when he hits though

No Kent Johnson

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Buffalo...................Power..................Best player in the draft, until he goes to Buffalo

2. Seattle...................Benier..................Top 2 player, could be the best player, build down the center

3. Anahiem................Hughes...............Here is the LHD to play alongside Drystale

4. New Jersey...........Clarke..................Here is the RHD to play alongside Smith

5. Columbus..............Eklund.................Top 3 skill, speed, drive, he should have been gone

6. Detroit....................Edvinsson...........Here is the LHD to play alongside Seider

7. San Jose................Wallstedt.............It take 5 years to develop a goaltender, so in a weak draft, take the franchise goalie

8. LA..........................Guenther.............LA is pretty solid down the middle with prospects, and this is a top 5 talent

9. Vancouver..............McTavish............Multi positional, aggressive, playoff style body, great 2/3 center. Canucks considered Svechkov

10. Ottawa..................Johnson.............Best Player Available, great skater

11. Arizona..................forfeit.................Stupid, stupid, stupid!

12. Chicago................Svechkov.........., Time to rebuild up the middle

13. Calgary.................Lysell..................Smart, aggressive, goal scoring winger

14. Philadelphia.........Lucius.................Slid down because of injury, top 10 talent

15. Minnesota.............Sillinger..............Minni needs more goal scoring? Yes, they do. Sillinger can play center as well. BPA

16. NY Rangers..........Lambos..............the RHD side is build, and this is the last player needed to finish the left side. BPA Considered Chibrikov

17. St. Louis...............Chibrikov............This guy dropped 3 or 4 spots. BPA

18. Nashville..............Ceulemans..........2nd best RHD in the draft

19. Edmonton.............Cossa.................2nd best Goaltender in the draft.....may even be the best....fills a positional need, in a weak draft it a no brainer

20. Detroit/Wash.........Raty....................This guy will be a diamond when polished

21. Minnesota.............Bolduc................BPA, and tenacious

22. Columbus/Tor.......L'Heureux...........talented and miserable, needs discipline, but if he learns that, the sky is the limit. Fell because of discipline 

23. Minnestota/Pitts....Pasttujov............BPA and a good goal scorer, pretty much wear he belongs

24. Florida..................Pinelli

If LA takes Guenther at 8th it'll be another reason for me to hate em...

Really starting to like Guenther, and we may get lucky. Alternatively, Svechkov is also starting to grow on me. Definitely would fill a positional need and another hard to play against, play off performer (like Horvat)... 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Buffalo...................Power..................Best player in the draft, but he asks for a trade out of Buffalo

2. Seattle...................Benier..................Top 2 player, could be the best player, build down the center

3. Anahiem................Hughes...............Here is the LHD to play alongside Drystale

4. New Jersey...........Clarke..................Here is the RHD to play alongside Smith

5. Columbus..............Eklund.................Top 3 skill, speed, drive, he should have been gone

6. Detroit....................Edvinsson...........Here is the LHD to play alongside Seider

7. San Jose................Wallstedt.............It take 5 years to develop a goaltender, so in a weak draft, take the franchise goalie

8. LA..........................Guenther.............LA is pretty solid down the middle with prospects, and this is a top 5 talent

9. Vancouver..............McTavish............Multi positional, aggressive, playoff style body, great 2/3 center. Canucks considered Svechkov

10. Ottawa..................Johnson.............Best Player Available, great skater

13. Calgary.................Lysell..................Smart, aggressive, goal scoring winger

14. Philadelphia.........Lucius.................Slid down because of injury, top 10 talent

15. Minnesota.............Sillinger..............Minni needs more goal scoring? Yes, they do. Sillinger can play center as well. BPA

16. NY Rangers..........Lambos..............the RHD side is build, and this is the last player needed to finish the left side. BPA Considered Chibrikov

17. St. Louis...............Chibrikov............This guy dropped 3 or 4 spots. BPA

19. Edmonton.............Cossa.................2nd best Goaltender in the draft.....may even be the best....fills a positional need, in a weak draft it a no brainer

20. Detroit/Wash.........Raty....................This guy will be a diamond when polished

22. Columbus/Tor.......L'Heureux...........talented and miserable, needs discipline, but if he learns that, the sky is the limit. Fell because of discipline 

23. Minnestota/Pitts....Pasttujov............BPA and a good goal scorer, pretty much wear he belongs

Fixed it for you ;)

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If LA takes Guenther at 8th it'll be another reason for me to hate em...

Really starting to like Guenther, and we may get lucky. Alternatively, Svechkov is also starting to grow on me. Definitely would fill a positional need and another hard to play against, play off performer (like Horvat)... 

Guenther, McTavish, could go either way but I'd be happy with either one. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Buffalo...................Power..................Best player in the draft, until he goes to Buffalo

Ugh, although my mock is slightly different from yours, I hate the fact that we get stuck picking Johnson or MacTavish in the most likely of scenarios.  I tend to agree with you in the top 8 guys that will be drafted, with Wallstedt likely not being picked until after us.  

I'd love to see Benning slide down 4-5 spots and pick up a 2nd round pick.  

What do you guys think of my list..........I have probably put more time into it and the 2nd round than any other draft...............

IMO...........I would want of McTavish, Svechkov,...........or Clarke

One will be on the board still...........................

and bank on Wallstedt being gone before us..............If you are San Jose GM, why would you not take him? "Best" since Price, that is a heavy endorsement

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not at all.  This year is NOT the year that the 9th overall will get you a king’s ransom.

Im sorry but I think that Drance is as qualified as a used car salesman when it comes to hockey. 

Actually this is not true at all. With the expansion draft and having to leave players they don’t want to leave unprotected, we could convince a team that a top 10 pick might hold even a little more value than normal. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

What do you guys think of my list.

I was going to post without you asking.

Could be your best post on CDC..., awesome!

It does throw BPA out to some extent?  But digs absolutely into the mindset of each teams fans!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Ugh, although my mock is slightly different from yours, I hate the fact that we get stuck picking Johnson or MacTavish in the most likely of scenarios.  I tend to agree with you in the top 8 guys that will be drafted, with Wallstedt likely not being picked until after us.  

I'd love to see Benning slide down 4-5 spots and pick up a 2nd round pick.  

It's possible, especially if they have someone in mind they think will be there.  I know people are hyped on McT, but does he really fit the style the team wants to play?  

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

It is my opinion that Beniers should be gone before 6th too. I ranked him 4th. This is a mock draft, not a ranking - our own opinions, internet community opinions, and teams' positional needs have nothing to do with it. It is based on what I speculate NHL teams are thinking. Going into starting this list I never expected to have Beniers fall to 6th, but it's where my research led me. Obviously it's just for fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I do make it a point to try every year to break my own record for how many picks I can correctly predict in the first round (currently 8). So of course you're free to comment however you want, but it would be nice if comments were somehow helpful. Anything about teams' positional needs is not helpful.

I've been reading your scouting reports almost daily. I'm not sure if this has been asked, but, are there any CHL prospects that are flying under the radar this draft because of lack of play? In a normal draft, the CHL prospects are top heavy. As many have said, there could be some very good picks late in the first round, and into the second round. Do you have a couple in mind?

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Continuing on with my mock draft:

6. Detroit - Matthew Beniers. Very tempting to think Hakan Andersson exorcises his demons of picking Thomas McCollum over Jakob Markstrom years ago and picks the Swedish goalie stud. And Yzerman certainly relied heavily on Andersson his first couple years there while he was constructing his own staff. But Ryan Rezmierski and Jesse Wallin are Yzerman's own guys that he brought in, and I expect he's going to want to start leaning on them more. Rezmierski is a former longtime DPP for the USNTDP, and a former coach with MU, so the connections to Beniers are overwhelming. Plus there's just no way Beniers falls any further than this.

7. San Jose - Dylan Guenther - Doug Wilson is practically impossible to predict. Very hard to find any discernible pattern to his drafting. One of the things that makes him great - he picks and has success from everywhere. They are in major need of goaltenders in the pipeline, but since Wilson was DPP of the Sharks in '98 they've never picked a goalie higher than 3rd round, so I just can't see it. Guenther and Hughes seem to be the BPA here, and either would make sense, but looking back at the few times Wilson and his team have had top ten picks, they predominately go CHL.

8. L.A. Kings - Luke Hughes. Rob Blake and his staff, led by DAS Mark Yanetti and DES Christain Ruuttu, generally lean towards CHL with early picks, but looks like I have the top CHLers off the board already. They've also shown some affinity for Sweden and NTDP early, so Lysell or Hughes would be options. Just can't imagine Hughes falling any further than this.

9. Vancouver - Kent Johnson. Benning's two top guys, Thomas Gradin and Ron Delorme, love to draft from Sweden and USHL/NCAA in the early rounds, and interestingly enough, Lysell, Wallstedt and Johnson are the top players left on the board. Maybe even Lucius? I'd be surprised if they took the goalie. Johnson seems to be the consensus BPA here, according to the experts (Bob's list and Central Scouting are the only ones I take seriously as a representation of what NHL teams might be thinking).

10. Ottawa Senators - Cole Sillinger. Trent Mann and Mikko Ruutu are the DAS and DES, but there's not really any Finns or QMJHLers within reach here. GM Pierre Dorion has leaned heavily on Bob Janecyk (USHL/NCAA) with their early picks throughout his tenure at the helm. Bobby Strumm (WHL) also seems to be rising up the chain of command. Cole Sillinger played WHL last season and USHL this year, so he falls in both their wheelhouses.

good stuff, thanks.

The only spot I would disagree with you on maybe is Detroit. Their future core is still a few years away, and their current goalie prospects are not doing well. I think Stevie Y goes for Wallstedt given he's actually shown what he can do in a mens league.

I know DET also has the #24 pick and could wait for Cossa but I've seen at least one mock draft with him going at 20 I think fwiw, so if he passes on Wallstedt he might miss out on Cossa too. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good stuff, thanks.

The only spot I would disagree with you on maybe is Detroit. Their future core is still a few years away, and their current goalie prospects are not doing well. I think Stevie Y goes for Wallstedt given he's actually shown what he can do in a mens league.

I know DET also has the #24 pick and could wait for Cossa but I've seen at least one mock draft with him going at 20 I think fwiw, so if he. passes on Wallstedt he might miss out on Cossa too. 

Thanks for the input. That was a tough one for sure. Not so much for the need aspect (although if there is one place positional need does tend to crop up in the first round it is with goalies), but Detroit has been picking out of Sweden like gangbusters since Yzerman took over. Makes sense, Yzerman didn't have his own staff, but knows very well and trusts completely Andersson's reputation. Also Yzerman is one of the few GMs lately who has shown the intestinal fortitude to pick a goalie very high (Vasilieksvy at 19), and it paid off in spades. But I'd already let Beniers fall out of the top 5, and just couldn't picture him falling any further. Plus the Rezmierski connection seemed like icing on the cake, and I just think Yzerman and DAS Kris Draper are going to want to start relying on their own people. The one other consideration was that none of Detroit's European scouts are former goalies themselves, so it would be crossover/video scouts from N.A. doing the heavy lifting on Wallstedt. Phil Osaer is the guy in charge of their goalie scouting, and he was not the guy behind the Vasilievsky pick, so not sure Stevie Y trusts him with a top ten pick.

Edited by HighOnHockey

10 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Guess you have no time for Petey but got time for Virt.

I had time for Petey and Quinn when they were picked, and their exceptional skill got them to the Show early. Great to see Hoglander here and being so good, Rathbone and Juolevi getting some games, and I'm excited with Podkolzin on the way. But after a decade of losing hockey, I would like the Canucks to finally get going here and become a real playoff team again. Trade the pick to make this team good again. 

20 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thanks for the input. That was a tough one for sure. Not so much for the need aspect (although if there is one place positional need does tend to crop up in the first round it is with goalies), but Detroit has been picking out of Sweden like gangbusters since Yzerman took over. Makes sense, Yzerman didn't have his own staff, but knows very well and trusts completely Andersson's reputation. Also Yzerman is one of the few GMs lately who has shown the intestinal fortitude to pick a goalie very high (Vasilieksvy at 19), and it paid off in spades. But I'd already let Beniers fall out of the top 5, and just couldn't picture him falling any further. Plus the Rezmierski connection seemed like icing on the cake, and I just think Yzerman and DAS Kris Draper are going to want to start relying on their own people. The one other consideration was that none of Detroit's European scouts are former goalies themselves, so it would be crossover/video scouts from N.A. doing the heavy lifting on Wallstedt. Phil Osaer is the guy in charge of their goalie scouting, and he was not the guy behind the Vasilievsky pick, so not sure Stevie Y trusts him with a top ten pick.

thats one of the reasons I think Wallstedt does go high, there's more video on him than anyone else if your'e looking for a goalie early, so you can really take a hard look at him.

I fully expect this to be another draft where the unexpected happens, so who the heck knows. Seattle could take him and blow up the whole board early :lol:

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I've been reading your scouting reports almost daily. I'm not sure if this has been asked, but, are there any CHL prospects that are flying under the radar this draft because of lack of play? In a normal draft, the CHL prospects are top heavy. As many have said, there could be some very good picks late in the first round, and into the second round. Do you have a couple in mind?

Mostly anybody with a chance to be a top two or three round pick for Canada was likely at U18s so everyone will be pretty familiar with.

A couple guys I remember really liking at the U17s but weren't at U18s were James Malatesta, Riley Kidney and Connor Lockhart. Lockhart played for a Canada Red, which was the least talented of the three Canadian squads, and played a very defense-first game. Lockhart seemed to be the only one really trying and able to make things happen offensively. Malatesta was a little firecracker, running around throwing hits, forcing turnovers, had a couple breakaways and scored a nice goal on one. And Riley Kidney was another smallish, but sturdy, smart and skilled forward.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

What do you guys think of my list..........I have probably put more time into it and the 2nd round than any other draft...............

IMO...........I would want of McTavish, Svechkov,...........or Clarke

One will be on the board still...........................

and bank on Wallstedt being gone before us..............If you are San Jose GM, why would you not take him? "Best" since Price, that is a heavy endorsement

I think you're probably correct about Jim having McTavish over Johnsson, for the playoff body. We have some smaller skilled guys and need more size to make it through teams like Vegas.

I think Detroit goes for Wallstedt. 

• Cheers 1