The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens there.

Mikey 21. Demko 25.

Demko is really just getting started. Wouldn’t be surprised if Mikey gets packaged.

Not until he's backed up Demko for a couple years and we have another 'goalie controversy' IMO.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

Drafting a goalie is an interesting discussion but lets be real, its never going to happen. JB Is not going to draft a player that might be a star 5 years down the road when we want to be contending next season. And in my opinion we have our goalie of the future in Mikey DiPietro already. 

Benning has always had the mantra of drafting BPA (according to their own list). Benning doesn't care if there is a wait and has demonstrated that by taking Podkolzin fully knowing it'll take him a couple of years before even getting a look here in NA (same can't be said necessarily by all of the GMs that had skipped over him). We are not picking 1st or even 2nd overall, so there is no expectation that whichever pick we make is expected to jump straight into our lineup and the expectation is to have some development time.

Just because Benning expects to contend next year doesn't mean our draft plan is affected by that idea. If it's the case, then we would be trading the pick for a ready now player instead of selecting a young kid that is going to be years away regardless. Perhaps the idea that we have Demko could allow for us to consider moving DiPietro for immediate help now and drafting a top end goalie could replenish that hole if they are considering how drafting a goalie could "help now".

I fully believe that a goalie being drafted is a very realistic possibility given that Wallstedt (or Cossa) could very well be available at our pick and could be the best option as well.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I tend to agree, I watched guys like Turris, Newhook, Jost, and Bennett while playing in the BCHL and Johnson dominated that league as much or more than any of them did and it wasn't based solely on his superior athletic ability.  That said, I haven't seen a single minute of him playing in college so perhaps that level exposed something in his game that wasn't noticeable at the other levels? 

So in your opinion is he capable of having a Barzal-type celling? he'd be drafted in roughly the same spot, a bit higher than MB but this isn't a deep draft. 

40 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

That would be similar to us not drafting Pettersson because we had Hobey Baker winner Adam Gaudette. The Goalie position is arguably Detroit's weakest point in prospect depth and they could easily take one if available.

Not sure why they would when they have one of the better goaltending prospects. Not sure that logic flies. You can never have enough forwards and D, can’t say that with goaltending since there’s only 1 starting role. 

It’s not a major need whatsoever for the Wings. There’s also another goalie that could be had 25-35 in Cossa who looks good too. It would be stupid to spend a 6th overall pick on a G.

They’d likely trade down if they wanted Wallstedt or go after Cossa with the other 1st they have from the Mantha deal. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

39 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

Honestly, i could not disagree more. The chances we pick a goalie with our #9 OA is zero point zero.

Well unless you're Jim himself on CDC. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPrF461Amoh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Lmao one of them have us picking Johnson and the other has us nabbing Clarke. I feel like Clarke dropping to us would be a gift tbh since he’s a projected top 5 pick to me. Johnson is a more realistic option for us since he’ll most likely be available. I’d be down with Ceulemans, McTavish, Eklund, Lucius as our selections as well. I’m very excited about the draft not just about our 1st rounder but our other picks as well. 

• Like 1

We could use an offensive (preferably RH) winger but more so a (preferably RH) D. 

A 3rd C could be had with our 2nd/3rd. 

I think McTavish is the most likely to be an “off-the-board” pick from teams ahead of us. 

Only team I see drafting Wallstedt ahead of us is the Sharks since everyone else has a G and/or much bigger needs. Cossa is also available at 25-35 and he looks like he could have star potential as well. Kolosov is the next best G IMO already playing some games in the KHL and put up impressive numbers as a 19 year old. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We could use an offensive (preferably RH) winger but more so a (preferably RH) D. 

A 3rd C could be had with our 2nd/3rd. 

I think McTavish is the most likely to be an “off-the-board” pick from teams ahead of us. 

Only team I see drafting Wallstedt ahead of us is the Sharks since everyone else has a G and/or much bigger needs. Cossa is also available at 25-35 and he looks like he could have star potential as well. Kolosov is the next best G IMO already playing some games in the KHL and put up impressive numbers as a 19 year old. 

You draft a 3c with a lower pick. Much of this talk about mctavish is peple wanting to pigeonhole him into being a 3c, but he was way more effective off the wing which would raise his value for exponentially. As for right winger, lysell fits the bill. Top end speed with an elite shot. Problem was his team &^@#ing sucked, but the underlying numbers hold up with the eyetest.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not sure I agree on the hockey sense, his offensive ability is off the charts. He put up 2.0 pts/game at the BCHL level in his draft-1 year which even puts BCHL stars like Newhook and Turris to shame. Then put up 1.0 pts/game in the NCAA in his draft year. It is impossible to put up these types of numbers and have a low hockey sense. 

His skills are not on question, but when video after video and scout after scout demonstrates some very questionable d vision making with the pick, that's not a player I'd want them to make with a pick that absolutely needs to hit

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

One player that stands out with this criteria is Zachary L'Heureux. Seems to put up the numbers, but has gotten suspended twice this season for questionable hits. He's been ranked all over the place in the 1st round.

I mean he also spat on a guy during a pandemic though. 

1 hour ago, bruceybruce said:

Honestly, i could not disagree more. The chances we pick a goalie with our #9 OA is zero point zero.

What if we have a trade in hand for dipietro though for a young D man?  Then I could see us taking a goalie at 9.  Highly unlikely but ...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What if we have a trade in hand for dipietro though for a young D man?  Then I could see us taking a goalie at 9.  Highly unlikely but ...

Goalie market has always been volatile alf.

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPrF461Amoh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Lmao one of them have us picking Johnson and the other has us nabbing Clarke. I feel like Clarke dropping to us would be a gift tbh since he’s a projected top 5 pick to me. Johnson is a more realistic option for us since he’ll most likely be available. I’d be down with Ceulemans, McTavish, Eklund, Lucius as our selections as well. I’m very excited about the draft not just about our 1st rounder but our other picks as well. 

Not going to happen... but if he fell to us like Hughes did in that draft... I'd be giddy like a school girl.

tumblr_lyw347hoeJ1rn95k2o1_250.gif

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So in your opinion is he capable of having a Barzal-type celling? he'd be drafted in roughly the same spot, a bit higher than MB but this isn't a deep draft. 

I would honestly say no, I wouldn't think he'd be at Barzal's level at his ceiling,  not talking way lower ceiling but not quite at the same level imo.  That said I always felt Barzal was grossly underrated his draft year and in hindsight if  Barzal was taken top 5 it wouldn't have been viewed as much of a reach so to compare Johnson to him may not be the right comparison. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would honestly say no, I wouldn't think he'd be at Barzal's level at his ceiling,  not talking way lower ceiling but not quite at the same level imo.  That said I always felt Barzal was grossly underrated his draft year and in hindsight if  Barzal was taken top 5 it wouldn't have been viewed as much of a reach so to compare Johnson to him may not be the right comparison. 

Yeah, Barzal was oddly overlooked in his draft year. Other than missing some time to injury in his draft year, what had he done to hurt his stock? Great D minus 1 year, great draft year despite games missed, lit up the U 18’s. Was already a sublime skater, tremendous hands, great hockey sense, great passer, etc. He looked every bit the same kid who went first overall in the Bantam draft. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Kent Johnson, Mactavish or Sillinger, would be a good add.

Yes in that order we should pick because who doesn't want a Canadian version of Petey and his (Johnson) favourite team in interview I saw was Canucks, but also I see some high risk high reward potential in off the board picks to be specific in Raty and Chibrikov as well. Not high on Lysell on shift by shift videos I saw.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1