The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be a great duo for a few years (Demko/Wallstedt), but Wallstedt is a star in the making and he'll want to become a starter. 

At that point, either one would be worth ++++ in a trade.  Might be nice to get that kind of haul when the team when the team is a contender and wants to keep it that way in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

At that point, either one would be worth ++++ in a trade.  Might be nice to get that kind of haul when the team when the team is a contender and wants to keep it that way in the future.

Goalies never get top trade value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

True, could be a great investment

Spoke with Jim Benning on his reaction to the draft lottery. He sounded relieved to not move down. On the possibility of trading the pick: "I can't answer that now. It would have to be a really good player to move the pick," he said.

Sam Reinhart? 
Morgan Reilly?
Seth Jones?
Somehow Eichel?
This is actually a year where a top 10 pick can be a main piece in a big player trade
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And they need goalies as well in those 'holes':lol:

It's hard to say... This draft is so all over the map that guys could go in almost any order in the top 12 or so, could include one or two goalies (or neither if they both drop)... I'm not even going to guess at a mock :lol:

Yeah I think For Detroit and San Jose they are not far along enough to not take BPA. But at the Same time that might be Wallstedt might be BPA on their list and Yzerman isnt afraid to take chances. Going to be a fun draft with a few suprises hopefully.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning (as quoted in The Province on May 23): 

"We're going to be aggressive on the trade front and in free agency. We're looking at players that drive offence, that can play with our other offensive players. I think we need more speed up front. Some veteran leadership."

Aggressive? Is trading Schmidt aggressive? I can't see them trading Miller, as he brings a lot of skill and passion, and he drives offence. Speed and veteran leadership in the Top 6 isn't cheap. I'm not sure the Canucks have the assets, including Schmidt. But they do have a #9 pick. 

I'll be thrilled if he can turn this team into a playoff team AND draft the #9, but can he do it with the assets they have? The Canucks need improvements in the Top 6, Bottom 6, and D. That's a lot.

2022 lottery protected 1st rounder could fetch us a top 6 player. Haven’t really looked at what’s out there.  

If I was an opposing GM I’d be calling about Juolevi and Virtanen and paying pennies on the dollar for them. 

19 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:
Spoke with Jim Benning on his reaction to the draft lottery. He sounded relieved to not move down. On the possibility of trading the pick: "I can't answer that now. It would have to be a really good player to move the pick," he said.

Sam Reinhart? 
Morgan Reilly?
Seth Jones?
Somehow Eichel?
This is actually a year where a top 10 pick can be a main piece in a big player trade

Not at all.  This year is NOT the year that the 9th overall will get you a king’s ransom.

Im sorry but I think that Drance is as qualified as a used car salesman when it comes to hockey. 

4 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Sam Reinhart? 
Morgan Reilly?
Seth Jones?
Somehow Eichel?

My issue with trading the pick - especially for a club like ours which likely won't be carrying a lot of cap room flexibility after resigning our RFA's and filling out the roster - is that we're going to likely need several players moving forward who can contribute in meaningful roles while still being on ELC - this role could be a perfect fit for a high-end pick to take advantage of.  Yes, lower round picks can contribute on ELC too, it's just more rare for that to happen. 

So if you take our 1st round pick this year and trade it for a 'hypothetical' player like Jake Bean (CAR) for example (it's just an example people, calm down) - you've just traded a guy who would potentially be on an ELC for three years and replaced him with a player who requires a qualifying offer this year and resigning thereafter so you've lost all those years of cap-flexibility with ELC for a guy who's going to need to be paid dollar/term very soon.  Now, JB could luck out and get a young, high-end prospect on a team-friendly deal who could step right into the line-up, but tell me when JB's ever gotten that lucky before.....:). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be a great duo for a few years (Demko/Wallstedt), but Wallstedt is a star in the making and he'll want to become a starter. 

If so Demko could potentially be traded in 3-4 years for a kings ransom... Mind, Schneider fetched a 9th so don't think, there is much won by drafting a goalie now, unless they are totally unsure about the player at our position. 

Edited by spook007

The 'tender idea is interesting. If none are picked before us, we could slide back 2 or 3 slots, to then pick 1 of them.

If the trading team would also send us a 2nd, & say take a cap piece(like Roussel) out of our hair.

I don't know squat about this crop, but it's another option to mull.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Thoughts on this approach? 

Canucks 9th pick - Jesper Wallstedt (future superstar) 

We build our team with Demko and Wallstedt in net. 

Trade Dipietro & Virtanen for whatever picks and defensive prospects we can get. 

Canucks remaining picks - best players available with a focus on right shot defence 

iu-2.jpeg

iu-1.jpeg

I mean if they’re sure he’s gonna be a star and the BPA I’d be good with it.

Maybe even flip him right away as part of a package to a team desperate for goaltending. Rasmus Dahlin?

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Likely we walk away with one of these three: Kent Johnson, Dylan Guenther, or Mason McTavish. 

No No No GIF

I think if anyoneis going to bust its him or Hughes.  I hope JB steers clear of both

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Whats your concerns with Johnson?

Not op, but in my opinion he has the biggest bust potential in the top end of the draft. Even more then Edvinsson. He also has extreme potential to be one of the besr offensive players in the draft.

I'm no expert by any means, but the tapes I have seen it's kinda bewildering how often he looses the puck because he waits to long to make the perfect play. He has so much skill that he skates around by himself and eventually just gets squeezed.

That being said, I'm not opposed to drafting him in the slightest. He and McTavish are my big 2. The irony being they are polar opposites in projections. McTavish is a sure thing NHL player, it's just questionable if he is elite (I think he is). Johnson may never make the NHL at all, but if he does it's likely as an elite offensive player.

Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2