The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not op, but in my opinion he has the biggest bust potential in the top end of the draft. Even more then Edvinsson. He also has extreme potential to be one of the besr offensive players in the draft.

I'm no expert by any means, but the tapes I have seen it's kinda bewildering how often he looses the puck because he waits to long to make the perfect play. He has so much skill that he skates around by himself and eventually just gets squeezed.

That being said, I'm not opposed to drafting him in the slightest. He and McTavish are my big 2. The irony being they are polar opposites in projections. McTavish is a sure thing NHL player, it's just questionable if he is elite (I think he is). Johnson may never make the NHL at all, but if he does it's likely as an elite offensive player.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you on this. If I had to choose between Lysell, McTavish or Johnson. Johnson would be my last pick, he's extremely creative, but the other two effect every aspect of the game. If Johnson doesn't have the puck, he isn't very effective. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Just to bring this back for more conversation.  Looks like "The Athletic" did a mock draft and ended up with Canucks taking McTavish as well.  We will see.

I guess with the lottery completed, my picks look like:

1 Buffalo - Brandt Clarke - Sabres couldn't pass up the opportunity to have Dahlin and Clarke as their top pairing for years to come

2 Seattle - Matthew Beniers - Way too much talent to pass up a player of this calibre at #2, not to mention the marketing of a star centre for the expansion team

3 Anaheim - Owen Power - Paired with Drysdale, the Ducks are set on defence for a long, long time.

4 New Jersey - Luke Hughes - The connection to Jack Hughes is a marketing powerhouse in the making, not to mention Jack Hughes is an excellent defenceman

5 Columbus - William Eklund - Eklund lands into Columbus' lap.  There is no way the CBJ pass up on him here at #5.

6 Detroit - Kent Johnson - Already in Michigan, this is a perfect match for Detroit

7 San Jose - Simon Edvinsson - Burns and Karlsson are aging out.  Time to add a potential franchise defenceman to their pool

8 LA - Jesper Wallstedt - LA is stacked with prospects, but with Quick aging fast, Wallstedt is clearly the perfect replacement

9 Vancouver - Mason McTavish - With a floor of a top tier 3C, and potential for at least 2C, McTavish brings the size and grit that the prospect pool desperately needs

10 Ottawa - Dylan Guenther - Wow, a steal here for Ottawa.  The weak showing at the U18 sees Guenther drop into the lap of the Ottawa Senators.

image.png.9784ef52fc861275c467e14087d2a3fd.png

Is this an omen to come?

Playing the stanley cup finals in Be a pro right now.

My player is actually playing for the other team.

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I'm with you on this. If I had to choose between Lysell, McTavish or Johnson. Johnson would be my last pick, he's extremely creative, but the other two effect every aspect of the game. If Johnson doesn't have the puck, he isn't very effective. 

Don't disagree. Though I'm not keen on Lysell at 9. Nothing against him really, I just think he is captain of the 2nd tier of this draft and not in the first group that could all go top 9 or 10 easily. If we select him I'll be happy and cheer for him, I just think there is a better choice at 9.

• Cheers 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

Don't disagree. Though I'm not keen on Lysell at 9. Nothing against him really, I just think he is captain of the 2nd tier of this draft and not in the first group that could all go top 9 or 10 easily. If we select him I'll be happy and cheer for him, I just think there is a better choice at 9.

Guenther?

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

his apparent lack of hockey sense is concerning.  The skill level is enticing, no doubt, but that's all that's there, imo.

Not sure I agree on the hockey sense, his offensive ability is off the charts. He put up 2.0 pts/game at the BCHL level in his draft-1 year which even puts BCHL stars like Newhook and Turris to shame. Then put up 1.0 pts/game in the NCAA in his draft year. It is impossible to put up these types of numbers and have a low hockey sense. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Not sure I agree on the hockey sense, his offensive ability is off the charts. He put up 2.0 pts/game at the BCHL level in his draft-1 year which even puts BCHL stars like Newhook and Turris to shame. Then put up 1.0 pts/game in the NCAA in his draft year. It is impossible to put up these types of numbers and have a low hockey sense. 

I tend to agree, I watched guys like Turris, Newhook, Jost, and Bennett while playing in the BCHL and Johnson dominated that league as much or more than any of them did and it wasn't based solely on his superior athletic ability.  That said, I haven't seen a single minute of him playing in college so perhaps that level exposed something in his game that wasn't noticeable at the other levels? 

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Guenther?

If he is available at 9 that's a massive win for the Canucks. He doesn't really have any glaring flaws in his game really. Great skater, great offensive mind, solid defensively, has a NHL frame. He's my 3rd ranked forward behind Beniers and Eklund.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I tend to agree, I watched guys like Turris, Newhook, Jost, and Bennett while playing in the BCHL and Johnson dominated that league as much or more than any of them did and it wasn't based solely on his superior athletic ability.  That said, I haven't seen a single minute of him playing in college so perhaps that level exposed something in his game that wasn't noticeable at the other levels? 

He did make the transfer from center to wing in college, which I think he is better suited for especially at the NHL level. He has a similar frame to Petey though and if he could fill it out, it would only help him win more battles. 

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

owen power named best player of Team Canada in the quarter final against Russia today. Stecher beautifully set up the game winning goal in OT (Mangiapane) .

Can’t say I’ve seen much of Power before today’s game. And wow, looks like a stud.  Feel bad for the kid going to Buffalo.

I like any of about 11 players the Canucks could pick .  I will be happy with trading this pick only if it is a real homerun . Some team screwed with the expansion draft maybe But I hate the idea of losing out on a potential future star for someone who just fits a role .

Powers and Beniers will never drop that far but other than that it does seams to be all over the place . Not just on here but the ranking I've seen . Luke Hughes every one seems to think he is going to NJ but maybe the team wants a winger to play beside Jack instead . Than I can see him falling maybe to 9th 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

If he is available at 9 that's a massive win for the Canucks. He doesn't really have any glaring flaws in his game really. Great skater, great offensive mind, solid defensively, has a NHL frame. He's my 3rd ranked forward behind Beniers and Eklund.

Cheers... must admit, I am starting to warm on Guenther as well....

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

My issue with trading the pick - especially for a club like ours which likely won't be carrying a lot of cap room flexibility after resigning our RFA's and filling out the roster - is that we're going to likely need several players moving forward who can contribute in meaningful roles while still being on ELC - this role could be a perfect fit for a high-end pick to take advantage of.  Yes, lower round picks can contribute on ELC too, it's just more rare for that to happen. 

So if you take our 1st round pick this year and trade it for a 'hypothetical' player like Jake Bean (CAR) for example (it's just an example people, calm down) - you've just traded a guy who would potentially be on an ELC for three years and replaced him with a player who requires a qualifying offer this year and resigning thereafter so you've lost all those years of cap-flexibility with ELC for a guy who's going to need to be paid dollar/term very soon.  Now, JB could luck out and get a young, high-end prospect on a team-friendly deal who could step right into the line-up, but tell me when JB's ever gotten that lucky before.....:). 

I'd be all for it if we could swing for something like Dobson to play with Hughes for the next +/- decade.

But I don't know how we'd square that circle. By all means, they're 'win now' and might prefer Schmidt (but not our 1st... unless they flip it) but then we'd need to take cap back... Do we want 2 more years of Ladd and to lose Schmidt in exchange for Dobson +/-...

And of course the ED complicates things...

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Are there any top tier players besides McTavish that are very physical ala the Tkachuks?

One player that stands out with this criteria is Zachary L'Heureux. Seems to put up the numbers, but has gotten suspended twice this season for questionable hits. He's been ranked all over the place in the 1st round.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, BCNate said:

My guess is we draft Gunther,  johnson,  or Mctavish at 9,  Roman Schmidt at 41.

high end forward with our 1st,  big RHD with our second. We 

Would be happy to have any one of those guys as our pick.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bruceybruce said:

Drafting a goalie is an interesting discussion but lets be real, its never going to happen. JB Is not going to draft a player that might be a star 5 years down the road when we want to be contending next season. And in my opinion we have our goalie of the future in Mikey DiPietro already. 

Might be a very long time until we see Mikey as our goaltender.

Just now, bruceybruce said:

Yes, it might be but i am rooting for him.

Going to be interesting to see what happens there.

Mikey 21. Demko 25.

Demko is really just getting started. Wouldn’t be surprised if Mikey gets packaged.

• Cheers 2