The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

35 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Well, not really. Who are we to decide that.  

Then who are we to decide that he deserves the chance to play at the NHL?

Arizona decided to renounce his rights.  So that's their choice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

I don’t know how I feel about this. The kid was 14 and this is not a crime per se and now the kid’s life is ruined forever.

He was 14 when he made the dumb decision to bully. I don’t know about this one. Part of Protecting children also includes protecting them from making childish decisions that could ruin their own life. Children’s brains also are not developed like adults. This is why we have a separate legal justice system for children and young adults.

I don’t know enough about this to decide what’s right and what’s wrong but all I could read is this whole thing turns on a dumb decision made by a 14 year old. I don’t know man. This is a strange one. 

His life isn't ruined. He still has his scholarship. The only thing that's really been taken away from him at this point is the ability to be part of an NHL organization. No pre-season camps and no communication with coaches that could help with his development. At this point in time he's basically at the equivalent of an undrafted player. The only difference is that he's getting all this deservedly negative media attention. 

He has an opportunity to play hockey and get an free education. He could very well mature at UND as a player and a person and be welcomed back into the NHL. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This was the right move by Armstrong.  Kudos to him on this one.

Kid is an adult now. Its time to grow up and learn from this.  Shows others that the NHL doesnt tolerate this behaviour.

This is what sets hockey apart from the other 3 leagues imo.  

The NFL has just absolutely set the bar so low. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

His life isn't ruined. He still has his scholarship. The only thing that's really been taken away from him at this point is the ability to be part of an NHL organization. No pre-season camps and no communication with coaches that could help with his development. At this point in time he's basically at the equivalent of an undrafted player. The only difference is that he's getting all this deservedly negative media attention. 

He has an opportunity to play hockey and get an free education. He could very well mature at UND as a player and a person and be welcomed back into the NHL. 

For now.

That might change in the future.

I suspect the pressure will now build on the University of North Dakota because they've been fairly silent on the issue. I can't see the University of North Dakota wanting to be associated with all of this, and may elect to rescind his scholarship or boot him off the team.

I can't imagine his future teammates looking too kindly to this behaviour, and he might be a total cancer in the locker room, no matter what his skill level is. UND apparently likes to emphasize character and this kid's behaviour doesn't scream good character. Imagine what they are potentially hearing from former alumni that have gone through their hockey program, and from donors and sponsors right now.

Where's the kid's agent in all this?

Shouldn't be too hard for the agent to just call the guy and go, "Do you still want a hockey career?  If so... Turn on your video recorder, get on your hands and knees, apologize, beg for forgiveness, talk about your past failures, how you will be a better person, start volunteering/donating, etc".  

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Shouldn't be too hard for the agent to just call the guy and go, "Do you still want a hockey career?  If so... Turn on your video recorder, get on your hands and knees, apologize, beg for forgiveness, talk about your past failures, how you will be a better person, start volunteering/donating, etc".  

tenor.gif?itemid=8794998

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

For those interested, the report on the incident is public. Pretty damning and harrowing stuff. It's a tough but necessary read.

Also, the report basically confirms that Miller's parents are racist with this tidbit coming from it:

Mitchell Miller's Mom threatened Isaiah and his family by saying that if he "ever went near/touched [her] daughter" she'd "file charges." Which is as racist as it gets. And it should be noted that, Mitchell's sister is only ever mentioned in this part of the report and was not involved in any other way.

His mother, Shell Miller, also used the racist dog whistle of saying that "Isaiah is no angel" when trying to downplay the events her son was involved with. It appears at that point, the investigator knew of and saw the video but she was not aware of it. It's a racist threat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Mitchell Miller's parents are big scumbags too.

Thanks for sharing more info!!  As much as I find Miller and his family sickening, it's also quite prevalent in Trump America!! On Nov

3, let's pray they will get a much better president!! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Why would any agent wanna ruin his career???  

40 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

When i first read the story and realized he was American i just knew his parents were racist.

He probably couldnt help it growing up in that environment but its no excuse for those actions.

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Edit...  Never mind, I though by "that environment" you meant America rather than the home.  However, it's not entirely clear from what I've read so far that the parents are racists.  They may well be, but it's not obvious from what I've read.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He probably couldnt help it growing up in that environment but its no excuse for those actions

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

It's a vicious circle. Kids are a byproduct of their parents, as were their parents with their parents. 

I mentioned this to someone else, but it reminds me of a scene in Mississippi Burning, where parents are at a KKK rally with their infant children. When you grow up in your formative development years in a unhealthy and destructive environment, you don't know any different. That's how you're formed.

For instance, my daughter is 4, and while she has a lot of developing still to do, majority of parents will say that by the age of 4, they have formed their personality, and now it's a matter of growing up (aging, experience) and guiding them. We've taught her to breathe when she's angry, and if she can't do that, to go to her room and yell into her pillow. Not to take it out on us, or anyone else. Then, she has to apologize (if an apology is needed). And we apologize to her as well, if we were ever out of line. At this point, at 4, she now knows, more or less, how to cope when she's angry or feeling mean, and to be kind ahead of time, or leave the room entirely. Now, if we didn't do that, who knows how she might have coped with some of her anger.

The same goes for Mitchell in this instance. He's acting out what's been modeled to him, by however his parents speak to each other, how he speaks to his sister, vice versa. This isn't to take away from his responsibility in this. But as anyone who has kids, you parent them to be a functional and positive addition to society. They don't learn that themselves.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Thanks for sharing more info!!  As much as I find Miller and his family sickening, it's also quite prevalent in Trump America!! On Nov

3, let's pray they will get a much better president!! 

If you believe that, I don't think you've taken a very close look at Joe Biden.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Joe Biden is terrible. Still infinitely better then the other option. That was a fair statement you replied to.

It's fair to believe what he said if you want but I don't think it's accurate.  There is a far stronger case for Biden having racial issues than Trump.  And that's the tip of the iceberg for reasons to think twice about voting for Joe.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

It's fair to believe what he said if you want but I don't think it's accurate.  There is a far stronger case for Biden having racial issues than Trump.  And that's the tip of the iceberg for reasons to think twice about voting for Joe.

You think what ever you want, but that is a absurd statement. We would never see eye to eye on this subject based off what you said, so we can discontinue.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

You think what ever you want, but that is a absurd statement. We would never see eye to eye on this subject based off what you said, so we can discontinue.

Then I don't think you've looked independently and honestly at the words and policies of both candidates, from their own mouths and actions.  And the manner in which you immediately end the discussion there suggests the emotional reaction of a partisan that isn't interested in actual evidence or discussion.

Trump wasn't mentored by a KKK exalted cyclops.  Biden was.  His mentors in government were Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond.  And that's just for starters.  But like you said, we can discontinue.

• Cheers 1