The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes' 'top' (4th round) draft pick of 2020 was a convict four years ago for bullying.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 hour ago, Screw said:

He was a child at 14 and did a very stupid and childish thing.  

Bush league move by Arizona to ditch and run.  Everyone deserves a chance at redeeming themselves.

That “child at 14”, right up to now, has refused to apologize to the child’s family 

any excuse for that while you are in your high horse? 

in your world do you give child killers a second chance because they simply made a mistake? 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I couldn't agree more. Thank God I was a teen in the 90s and not now. I don't condone what the kid did but at the same time he was convicted and reprimanded and did everything the Judge specified.

I've heard some people say his apology wasn't good enough or he has shown no remorse, unless you're a part of this there is no way to know what this kid is feeling.

I believe that if he completed his sentence and did what the Judge asked him to do then society has no right to pass judgment and use cancel culture to enact their own mob mentality justice in a case that they only no about from  a 2bit news article.

What's the point of having laws? Let's just let the mob mentality decide what's a crime and what the punishment should be.  I'm sure I'll get blasted for this opinion but I am so sick and tired of cancel culture and their hypocrisy. All the people who think ruining this kids chance to earn a living because he was a POS at 14-16 even tho in the eyes of the law he has served his time and by all accounts hasn't continued this behaviour, I hope aren't living in glass houses.

The fact the Yotes took this kid and were willing to give him a shot to show if he had become a better person could have ended up with a positive ending. Instead they bowed to a mob that had zero inside knowledge that were going off an article that was meant to ignite a negative reaction.

Getting punished for actions =/= cancel culture. This is just a bad take all together. 

Being an NHL player is a privilege not a right, and he lost this privilege by an utter lack of remorse. 

Now he has the right to complete school and look for a normal job like anyone else. 

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

The Coyotes are a private organization that have no obligation to provide Miller employment, let alone the privilege of being an NHL player. There are many people in our society that need behavioural rehabilitation, why should he get special treatment because he's talented at hockey?

Miller should get help remodelling his behaviour if he is willing to receive it, but I don't think the Coyotes are obligated in any way to provide that help. It would be a nice gesture if they did, but I won't hold it against them if leave that responsibility to someone else. Really we should be asking why his parents, the schools he's attended, or the legal systems that have handled him haven't done more to help.

• Cheers 1

For those interested, the report on the incident is public. Pretty damning and harrowing stuff. It's a tough but necessary read.

Also, the report basically confirms that Miller's parents are racist with this tidbit coming from it:

Mitchell Miller's Mom threatened Isaiah and his family by saying that if he "ever went near/touched [her] daughter" she'd "file charges." Which is as racist as it gets. And it should be noted that, Mitchell's sister is only ever mentioned in this part of the report and was not involved in any other way.

His mother, Shell Miller, also used the racist dog whistle of saying that "Isaiah is no angel" when trying to downplay the events her son was involved with. It appears at that point, the investigator knew of and saw the video but she was not aware of it. It's a racist threat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Mitchell Miller's parents are big scumbags too.

Edited by Quantum
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Let's hope this world got more peeps like you and I.. if something ain't right, we voice it and do something about it!

I'm not saying the world wouldn't be better off with more people like you, but there was a time when - and that time still exists to some degree - if you wanted to do something about this kind of stuff, you had to step into the fray and risk getting injured yourself, or worse.  Nowadays, people act like heroes for filming it on their phones or posting things on Twitter that they know in advance will be universally praised.  We live in a time where it's really easy to denounce bad things on social media and then everyone high fives each other for doing so.  Or they call for other people to lose their jobs and then fist pump the air for making the world a better place.

By all means, if something isn't right, say or do something about it.  But people, not necessarily you, currently have a tendency to engage in actions that carry no risks of harm or even criticism, and then overstate the danger they faced and the results they produced.

55 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

That “child at 14”, right up to now, has refused to apologize to the child’s family 

any excuse for that while you are in your high horse? 

in your world do you give child killers a second chance because they simply made a mistake? 

Do you mean people who kill children or children who have killed?

Either way..

The justice system is evidence  that Canadian society believes that people are able to change.  Even criminals. Thus, we have a systems of reform and rehabilitation outlined in the laws.  

I do believe that a even racist bully at 14, 15 or 16 is capable of creating change in his life and becoming a better person.  

I do not accept the "throw this person away" mentality.   You don't fight racism, homophobia etcetera by turning your back to it.   You then reinforce this kid continues in  a path towards becoming a bigoted adult.

8 minutes ago, Screw said:

Either way..

The justice system is evidence  that Canadian society believes that people are able to change.  Even criminals. Thus, we have a systems of reform and rehabilitation outlined in the laws.  

I do believe that a even racist bully at 14, 15 or 16 is capable of creating change in his life and becoming a better person.  

I do not accept the "throw this person away" mentality.   You don't fight racism, homophobia etcetera by turning your back to it.   You then reinforce this kid continues in  a path towards becoming a bigoted adult.

Fair, but the onus is on him to do it. If an apology and rehabilitation is going to be worth anything, it needs to be sincere. Having to be coerced into it after the story goes public doesn’t scream sincerity. He’s actively avoided apologizing to the victim or his family and only offered up the flaccid apology to NHL teams to try to save his skin going into the draft. 

This kid deserves just about whatever comes his way. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Screw said:

Either way..

Good point: the story might go away publicly but has the situation/person really changed - ?.  Also, I wonder how being dropped by the Yotes or perhaps potentially losing a career in hockey be affecting him (although, based on public information he has no one else to blame but himself) ? 

After the public shaming is over then what; perhaps with the Yotes someone could had mentored him ?

What a sad situation !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I have some mixed feelings on this.  This is the very definition of cancel culture.  You have a young guy at 14 did something heinous.  He faced consequences at the time. I haven’t read about subsequent behaviour.  Disclosed to the teams he had a past major incident prior to the draft.  Gets picked and the cancel mob comes out.

if it were my team and I was gm I very likely wouldn’t have selected him but every team had the opportunity to decide if his current character was such that they would bring him into the organization.

where does this end? At what point don’t you get a chance to improve?  I had a 10 year old on my hockey team last year get a racial slur hurled at him.  We dealt with it and both teams learned from it.  Do we track that kid down now and torpedo him from playing organized activities and banish him to a salt mine in Siberia somewhere?  Especially with minors some consideration should be placed on growing and improving. How would you feel if it were your kid?

Its one thing to be caught in this type of act and behavior, its another to not offer a personal apology to the kid that you assaulted, show remorse and clear understanding of your actions.

That was the final straw for Arizona, he did a court ordered apology letter, but never anything that made it clear that he understood at a deep level, what he did wrong.

He flushed his career away before it even started.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s the same thing with that swimmer Brock Turner whose parents defended him.

When kids come from entitled assh@le parents they’re going to be entitled assh@les too.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree as they say. If his parents were good people they would have come out and apologized themselves and punished him rather than defend him. 

At least the judge in Isaiah Meyer-Crothers case took Mitchell Miller's actions seriously and didn't dismiss them with some wordy legal version of boys will be boys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I don’t know how I feel about this. The kid was 14 and this is not a crime per se and now the kid’s life is ruined forever.

He was 14 when he made the dumb decision to bully. I don’t know about this one. Part of Protecting children also includes protecting them from making childish decisions that could ruin their own life. Children’s brains also are not developed like adults. This is why we have a separate legal justice system for children and young adults.

I don’t know enough about this to decide what’s right and what’s wrong but all I could read is this whole thing turns on a dumb decision made by a 14 year old. I don’t know man. This is a strange one. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

I don’t know how I feel about this. The kid was 14 and this is not a crime per se and now the kid’s life is ruined forever.

He was 14 when he made the dumb decision to bully. I don’t know about this one. Part of Protecting children also includes protecting them from making childish decisions that could ruin their own life. Children’s brains also are not developed like adults. This is why we have a separate legal justice system for children and young adults.

I don’t know enough about this to decide what’s right and what’s wrong but all I could read is this whole thing turns on a dumb decision made by a 14 year old. I don’t know man. This is a strange one. 

His life is not over.  He can most certainly go to College (or not) and get a regular job (just like everybody else).

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Screw said:

A more appropriate response by the Cyotes  would be to offer to help facilitate reconciliation.  Offer counseling services to both parties.  Not try and cover their asses.

When did it ever become their job to do that? Lol. That is something he and his family should be doing. And given the fact he hasn't tried to even apologize to the victim's family speaks volumes about who he is as a person. At this point he deserves to be thrown out with the rest of the trash unless HE makes the effort to be a better person. It's not Arizona's job to raise people and teach them right from wrong. Arizona was dumb for even drafting the kid to begin with.

• Cheers 2