The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If anything, they'll need more as they'll likely reduce the number of students per teacher.

Distance learning doesn't work.......it provides learning opportunities in a time of crisis, but it's not teaching and it's not "school".

So how can it work work for an entire school year???

That's why I said in an earlier post, that schools would reopen in September (at least in some way).

If anything, they'll need more as they'll likely reduce the number of students per teacher.

Distance learning doesn't work.......it provides learning opportunities in a time of crisis, but it's not teaching and it's not "school".

Distance learning may work for part of the curriculum in universities and colleges but not for elementary and high school.  Part of the learning environment requires social interactions between the students and teachers and amongst the students themselves.  Kids don't even use phones anymore to talk.

Just now, BPA said:

So how can it work work for an entire school year???

That's why I said in an earlier post, that schools would reopen in September (at least in some way).

It can't, but we'll do the best we can given the circumstances.  If the virus is still around, what choice is there?  I hate it, believe me.........I love spending my days with those little buggers, but I hate seeing people die even more.

No joke, I am sick from September to the end of June as are all of my colleagues.  Re-opening schools will likely be one of the last steps.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Right.

So how can school be still closed even till next semester (September)??

I can't see it not opening unless there is a fundamental shift in the current way of life.

They can still be closed because they need to be.

I'm just saying an online teaching model is going to leave people behind.

I'm unsure how that can be fixed.

Just now, coho8888 said:

Distance learning may work for part of the curriculum in universities and colleges but not for elementary and high school.  Part of the learning environment requires social interactions between the students and teachers and amongst the students themselves.  Kids don't even use phones anymore to talk.

Agreed, even upper HS is probably ok.  Teaching curriculum is only one small part of what we do in elementary school........we raise good, knowledgeable citizens.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

100% correct.  Part of my job is literacy intervention with young readers and I'm finding most of those kids have very limited to no internet access and almost no devices right across the board.  I am working with their parents to figure out how to make sure I can continue building their reading skills given the circumstances.  Part of it will be packets made up and sent home, part of it will be reading over the phone, part of it will be them finding a way to get decent internet for video and part of it is our school sending home as many devices as possible to those families who need them.

Ultimately, the kids who need the most help are at the biggest disadvantage..........these are the kids we are working the hardest to help right now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Unfortunately, it probably can't.

There's no way around it, IMO.....some students are going to be playing catch up for the next year or two.

It's like @stawns said: it isn't ideal, but it's the best solution we have.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, even upper HS is probably ok.  Teaching curriculum is only one small part of what we do in elementary school........we raise good, knowledgeable citizens.

I agree.   

Schools are important for young children to adulthood.  It serves the groundwork and/or supplements good societal norms (ie good behavior) and interactions amongst peers.  You can't get all that from home.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, it probably can't.

There's no way around it, IMO.....some students are going to be playing catch up for the next year or two.

It's like @stawns said: it isn't ideal, but it's the best solution we have.

Even college kids. Everyone on academics really...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Having taught in a self-paced school, 1400 students in all 8 courses, self-paced, AND having taught a class of 30 with 6 different Math courses all going on at once, so the only alternative was Distance Learning, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the success boils down to self-discipline. And, a lot of students just do not have that yet, and they will use their i-pads and smart phones to watch movies, text friends, play games, instead of watching the (very good) online videos. Also, in my classes, I go beyond the curricular stuff, with math in the news, math in sports, math in history and so on.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wloutet said:

Having taught in a self-paced school, 1400 students in all 8 courses, self-paced, AND having taught a class of 30 with 6 different Math courses all going on at once, so the only alternative was Distance Learning, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the success boils down to self-discipline. And, a lot of students just do not have that yet, and they will use their i-pads and smart phones to watch movies, text friends, play games, instead of watching the (very good) online videos. Also, in my classes, I go beyond the curricular stuff, with math in the news, math in sports, math in history and so on.

95% of them don't, in the best case scenario, let alone during a stressful time like this.  We haven't even started any learning yet and our office is flooded with calls from overwhelmed parents.........just from initial emails and contact alone.

That said, by September I hope it'll be a little smoother and we can get kids in a rhythm.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Even college kids. Everyone on academics really...

Even now with university, it's stressful finishing classes. I'm glad I don't have to take another semester, although I wish I had finished last year and I was working instead.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, with the government stepping up to help it's citizens on so many areas, I can see Internet becoming one of those things that people can get assistance with, especially if the next school year isn't back to normal. (as I expect it won't be)

There should be a mechanism whereby people who can't afford it, apply for government assistance and are provided with the equipment and subscription, at least until we're back to a semblance of normalcy.

Most likely a good  long term investment. Better education leads to better jobs, for the most part. Better paying jobs mean more tax revenue. win/win.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Most likely a good  long term investment. Better education leads to better jobs, for the most part. Better paying jobs mean more tax revenue. win/win.

I agree. It's also a good boost for the ISPs. More work for them, more cash injected into the economy.......

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Even now with university, it's stressful finishing classes. I'm glad I don't have to take another semester, although I wish I had finished last year and I was working instead.

The last semester of my last year, all of my courses were online.

The most difficult thing about it is indeed self discipline.

But I came upon a little book called “Get Organized” and it really changed my life, not only for online University, but also to this day I practice many aspects in the little book.

21 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The last semester of my last year, all of my courses were online.

The most difficult thing about it is indeed self discipline.

But I came upon a little book called “Get Organized” and it really changed my life, not only for online University, but also to this day I practice many aspects in the little book.

I might have to look into that book, because I can also see myself working remotely for a lot of my career. Even now, I'm doing similar work in school from home.

• Cheers 1