The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Because that's when there is broad support for the idea.

So it's a political move and not really about safety. Just like sports waiting until their players have scrambled brains before doing something about concussions.

Preach pro-activity but be reactive.

59 minutes ago, Pickly said:

As a veteran I actually support this notion. 

Thankful to hear that. Most military personnel I know do. They realize that the average person has no need for automatic or semi automatic firearms. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, RonMexico said:

So it's a political move and not really about safety. Just like sports waiting until their players have scrambled brains before doing something about concussions.

Incorrect. It's all about safety.

But if you look at all the whinging going on today about the announcement, just imagine if there had been no recent incident. It's the same reason that the Airline industry makes changes after crashes....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Much like the legalization of pot not shutting down the illegal sales of marijuana, this will have the same useless effect. Shutting down the legal trade and ability to own an assault rifle doesn't stop people from illegally acquiring or using them. I have never owned any gun and do not plan to. But this is classic pandering. OMG we had a mass shooting, when is the government going to protect us from these crazy gun owners?? More nanny state stuff. It's like everyone with their hands out wanting government bailouts due to Covid-19. People forget that money doesn't grow on trees and we will be paying it all back and more.

It draws clear lines and also makes it much harder to have one.

There is a store in Richmond...my Dad and brother are hunters and it's where they've have to acquire their hunting license.  Two young Asian girls were working behind the counter...knew NOTHING about ammunition.  Clearly this was like the Forever 21 gun shop.   A woman who looked to be in her 70's-80's had a handgun up..was testing out how to hold/aim it.  A potential customer.

They also had these types of weapons for sale.  I was completely shocked.

So yeah...it makes them illegal and not so "ignored" or "easy" to acquire?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thankful to hear that. Most military personnel I know do. They realize that the average person has no need for automatic or semi automatic firearms. 

Exactly.  They're the ones who've seen what damage can be done with them.  The "experts" and the only people "needing" them...in times of war.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Both of these are examples of "learning" and evolving.  

So politics that offer change and growth are a good thing, not a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

And the federal government can willy nilly 'ban' something just like that? No vote, no discussion, nothing. We don't like something therefore it's gone.

If by “just like that” you mean 25 years of discussion, debate and research, then yeah.

They banned 1,500 types of assault weapons. 

You don’t just do that overnight despite appearances.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Incorrect. It's all about safety.

But if you look at all the whinging going on today about the announcement, just imagine if there had been no recent incident. It's the same reason that the Airline industry makes changes after crashes....

I would say more like done under the guise of safety. We have to be kidding ourselves if this announcement really helps prevent any assault future firearm related deaths. At best it may reduce, not eliminate, future gun related deaths. Which in the eyes of the voting public, is 'doing something'.

Just now, RonMexico said:

I would say more like done under the guise of safety. We have to be kidding ourselves if this announcement really helps prevent any assault future firearm related deaths. At best it may reduce, not eliminate, future gun related deaths. Which in the eyes of the voting public, is 'doing something'.

Your opinion and you're welcome to it, but I don't agree.

I also have to disagree that a "reduction" is firearm deaths is not something that is worthwhile pursuing. Nothing will totally eliminate the problem, but mitigation is definitely worth striving for.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Both of these are examples of "learning" and evolving.  

So politics that offer change and growth are a good thing, not a bad thing.

I get it but did we all just wake up and realize ARs were bad to own? Guns in general are meant to kill stuff. Some make it easier than others but they all do the same thing. Every breathing human knows this. Banning one just pushes people to use other guns for their nefarious deeds. Might as well just go the full pull and ban all guns. The grocery store has all the meat you need.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

As per Reverend Sharpton; imagine if they were black.

Read a story yesterday about a black guy that was shot and killed by a couple of rednecks because he was jogging through a neighborhood and they assumed he was a burglar....

...."Greatest country in the world"....<_<

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Read a story yesterday about a black guy that was shot and killed by a couple of rednecks because he was jogging through a neighborhood and they assumed he was a burglar....

...."Greatest country in the world"....<_<

Maybe they to need a second civil war.

Sending armed rebels to State Capitols to bully legislators into submission and “liberate” States, is pretty close to that.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So where was the vote on this.

You seem to be laboring under the illusion that all government decisions require a plebiscite.....

....this is not the case..

But, FWIW:

image.png.44bdca8e42aaef482fa58d186fd718e4.png

Edited by RUPERTKBD

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So where was the vote on this.

The civil vote on whether you can kill someone with an assault rifle or not is not necessary after a quarter century of debate.

I really wouldn’t sweat the principles over this one.

Unless you’re the type whose desire to own an assault rifle outweighs common sense.

You should be a professional to handle professional weapons. Become a soldier and you’ll have plenty of toys to play with.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You seem to be laboring under the illusion that all government decisions require a plebiscite.....

....this is not the case..

But, FWIW:

image.png.44bdca8e42aaef482fa58d186fd718e4.png

Most of the people voting aren't gun owners. The gun owners are too afraid to answer an online poll because they don't want the government tracking their whereabouts via the internet.

• Wat 5