The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think what people need to keep in mind is that none of the drugs being touted are any kind of "cure" or preventative. They're treatments for lessening the duration and/or severity of the infection.

Remdesivir, in particular has been shown to speed recovery, but it in no way lowers the infection rate.

Hasn't been shown to reduce death either from what I know. So basically, we can only say with some certainty that it might help with reducing hospitalization time in patients it is effective in, saving some ICU bed use. Hopefully future studies can confirm the hospitalisation reduction and hopefully show some benefit for reducing mortality...but that'll probably be a small benefit if found. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Where does he find those clowns ... err jokers. Clowns are on the left. 

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you"

heh, I can never *NOT* think of the Reservoir of Dogs scene when I hear this song...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Violator said:

Saw a truck like that in vegas last year.

20190502_151234_HDR.jpg

They may need a King after-all...

Imagine a World where Canada is the last Democracy...

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Actually Trump mentioned it weeks ago and has been on the FDA's ass to get it approved as quickly as possible.  

trump fake news GIF

You're the second person to maqke that claim, but I haven't been able to find anything that backs it up. Maybe you can post a source?

Meanwhile, while searching for your evidence, I can across this article that shows Trump supporters pushing back on Remdesivir:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/02/donald-trump-coronavirus-remdesivir-229765

Over three weeks ago, hydroxychloroquine was all the rage in MAGA world, despite flawed and scattered evidence about whether the drug could help cure coronavirus. Now there is another drug, Remdesivir, with positive early scientific data.

Much of MAGA world wants little to do with it.

At first, it may seem like a head-scratching response. President Donald Trump’s base has been quick to trumpet any potential solutions to the coronavirus pandemic — especially those Trump himself promotes — regardless of the red flags from medical experts. But with Remdesivir, it’s the Trump-boosting pundits who are raising the red flags, even as the president expresses optimism.

Indeed, the same segment of the right that claimed scientists and the media were deliberately downplaying Hydroxychloroquine in order to hurt Trump’s standing are now the ones downplaying Remdesivir. On Fox News, Laura Ingraham suggested that Remdesivir, as a newer drug being produced by the pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, could be unsafe and expensive. Those who initially helped raise the profile of Hydroxychloroquine raised doubts about the Remdesivir studies.

The unexpected reaction appears to stem from the differences in how the two drugs came into the public spotlight. Hydroxychloroquine bubbled up through the MAGA grassroots — little-known investors promoted it online, got on Fox News and suddenly the president was talking about it from the White House. Remdesivir’s progress came through a government-funded trial that had the blessing of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the bête noire of Trump hardliners who blame the government’s top infectious disease expert for undermining the president and causing unnecessary economic damage with his social-distancing guidelines.

Remdesivir’s connection to a pharmaceutical company also taps into suspicions on the right that corporate executives are trying to rake in huge profits from the coronavirus. Hydroxychloroquine, on the other hand, is already widely available in generic form.

These factors were likely enough to turn off people who had been using Hydroxychloroquine as a political rallying cry, said David Rapp, a psychology professor at Northwestern University who studies how misinformation shapes beliefs and memory.

The Hydroxychloroquine boosters, he said, “might find the alternative idea as not being pure, in the sense that it doesn't come from Trump. It's coming from other sources that they might not trust.”

The MAGA base’s suspicions about Remdesivir began shortly after Fauci on Wednesday announced the results of a government-sponsored clinical trial that showed that the drug shortened recovery time for coronavirus patients, calling it a “clear-cut, positive” development in the fight against the coronavirus. Fauci also made clear that this is a first step; more research needs to be done into this and other potential treatments.

That night, Ingraham devoted a segment of her show that night arguing on behalf of Hydroxychloroquine. Ingraham first suggested that Remdesivir could present dangers, urging restraint until government regulators like the Food and Drug Administration could thoroughly review the treatment.

“It hasn’t been approved by the FDA,” she said. “They might do emergency authorization. Hydroxychloroquine was approved decades ago.”

The FDA — which Fauci does not run — in fact did move swiftly. On Friday it issued an emergency-use authorization to help patients get quicker access to remdesivir, the first antiviral to show promise against Covid-19 infection.

Ingraham added that Remdesivir, as a new drug, could be expensive, whereas “hydroxychloroquine is obviously cheap and already readily available.” She then brought out a doctor who defended Hydroxychloroquine as “safe” and expressed worries that Remdesivir, originally developed to fight Ebola, could be dangerous.

The original promoters of Hydroxychloroquine also chimed in with their concerns about Remdesivir after Fauci’s announcement. James Todaro, a bitcoin investor who cobbled together a Google Doc pitching Hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus treatment that was widely circulated in conservative circles and caught the attention of Fox News, noted that several members on the government panel making treatment recommendations for coronavirus were affiliated with Gilead.

• Cheers 1

Sometimes I think people are too paranoid. In fact there isn't just a "pair of" noids, there are three noids (trianoid ?) or four noids (quadrinoid ?). Give me one good reason for any ordinary Joe  (non-military or non-police) to own an assault rifle. One!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you"

heh, I can never *NOT* think of the Reservoir of Dogs scene when I hear this song...

....and for those who may not be aware, one of the driving forces behind Stealer's Wheel was Gerry Rafferty. (along with Joe Egan)

Rafferty had a hugely successful (albeit short lived) solo career. The biggest hit was Baker Street, which included one of the most recognizable Sax lines in popular music.

That's Gerry in the middle (no pun intended) as the Lion....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I know this is off topic but I didn't know where else to put it (I searched )...but maybe take a break from the pandemic madness and watch the Gold medal Canada vs US 2010 Olympics game on tv right now (KING channel 114 here in Richmond with Shaw).

I had to bring my bike into Canadian tire today and wow , lots of cars on the road and people in the store...looks like 'business as usual' out there...

LUUUUUUUUUUU

CROSBY SCOOOOOOORES

Gosh, i miss those days...and everyone knows where they were at that exact time and place...I was at the Tennis Club on W 16th, a friend is a member there...

Where were you?

Edited by Just1CupBeforeIDie

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think what people need to keep in mind is that none of the drugs being touted are any kind of "cure" or preventative. They're treatments for lessening the duration and/or severity of the infection.

Remdesivir, in particular has been shown to speed recovery, but it in no way lowers the infection rate.

If we could find a drug that would lower the mortality rate and hospitalization rates then at least you consider the route of just letting it run its course. 

14 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

I had to bring my bike into Canadian tire today and wow , lots of cars on the road and people in the store...looks like 'business as usual' out there...

I usually find it kind of expensive in Crappy Tire & only go in there for the odd sale item.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You're the second person to maqke that claim, but I haven't been able to find anything that backs it up. Maybe you can post a source?

Meanwhile, while searching for your evidence, I can across this article that shows Trump supporters pushing back on Remdesivir:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/02/donald-trump-coronavirus-remdesivir-229765

He did say it a few times... Though he botched the word itself...

...or at least attempted to talk about it but you can tell he doesn’t have any skin involved in that game, unlike Hydroxychloroquine.

President Promoter here is obviously wasting his time.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Me_ said:

He did say it a few times... Though he botched the word itself...

...or at least attempted to talk about it but you can tell he doesn’t have any skin involved in that game, unlike Hydroxychloroquine.

But when was this video made? I'm aware that he is talking about it now. I'm trying to find evidence to back up the claim that he was touting it "weeks ago".

I found plenty of examples in May....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I usually find it kind of expensive in Crappy Tire & only go in there for the odd sale item.

I hear ya but I bought a hybrid bike (first mistake?) from them and brought it back for them to fix a few things , seat and tire...

I had my tires on rims changed over there last month, cheapest in town i found...$39 for all 4

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

I hear ya but I bought a hybrid bike (first mistake?) from them and brought it back for them to fix a few things , seat and tire...

I had my tires on rims changed over there last month, cheapest in town i found...$39 for all 4

Hopefully people were at least maintaining some kind of "social distance" in there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But when was this video made? I'm aware that he is talking about it now. I'm trying to find evidence to back up the claim that he was touting it "weeks ago".

I found plenty of examples in May....

Ha. Got it.

He’s reactionary, attends Covid meetings once  or twice a week and doesn’t read his Daily Briefs.

The thought of Remdesivir may have never crossed his mind before he was pushing Hydroxychloroquine and Clorox.

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hopefully people were at least maintaining some kind of "social distance" in there.

Pretty much except for the toddler running around and in my way and the Mother thinking she was cute and letting her almost grab glasses off the shelf...she was like a bull in a china shop while i waited at the end of the aisle for them to finally walk right pass me and not exit the other end where they were!....grrrr...

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Pretty much except for the toddler running around and in my way and the Mother thinking she was cute and letting her almost grab glasses off the shelf...she was like a bull in a china shop while i waited at the end of the aisle for them to finally walk right pass me and not exit the other end where they were!....grrrr...

Now imagine being a teacher of a class of a whole bunch of 6 year old 1st graders.

A Great Tragedy awaits us and the intro credits have barely rolled.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2