The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have a bigger issue with the US than I do with China.  Further to that, China is the power and it's better to be on the good side of that relationship than the bad

China will be like any other superpower, it will squish you economically or eventually by force.

No different than any other empire in the history of the world.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

The news articles says the woman was caught but the 2 men are still out there.

Sharmel Teague has been arrested but Teague and Bishop remain at large. 

Yes, I should have said charged not caught.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

China will be like any other superpower, it will squish you economically or eventually by force.

No different than any other empire in the history of the world.

no argument here

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Interesting about the countries that have banded together to raise $11 billion to find a vaccine. Canada has said they will send about $850 million (I think). However, the United States has joined this consortium. Comments?

They have? The article that I read this morning said that the US wasn't part of this. Has that changed?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I like to add that U.S, Canada, Australia and Europe should end their dependence on China.

Personally I have always avoided made in PCP as much as I could, this crisis has just reinforced my beliefs.

On that, I would agree.  Too much manufacturing has moved overseas.  I hope to see some manufacturing moved back to Canada to provide some work to the locals.  I don't usually mind paying a few more bucks here and there to support local businesses.  But if the product was massively $$$, I would probably go for the cheaper option.

• Cheers 3

CNN has sent a Cease and Desist order to the Trump campaign for misrepresenting  a portion of their coverage.

In a nutshell, Wolf Blitzer had asked Sanjay Gupta if the US numbers could have reached 2 million if not for stay at home and social distancing directives. The Trump campaign edited it to appear as though Gupta was crediting Trump's "ban" on China.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cnn-sends-trump-campaign-cease-and-desist-letter-for-misleading-ad/ar-BB13B1sZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Fake news! :rolleyes:

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed.

Unfortunately, some people are trying to turn this into a political blame game, when the issue is clearly those wet markets. All of this obfuscation distracts from the actual issue and as long as that sort of thing continues, we open ourselves up to Covid20, or Covid21.....

Kellyanne Conway suggested there were 18 other coronaviruses before COVID-19. "This is COVID-19 not COVID-1, folks,"

Lol

:bigblush:

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

no argument here

Also due to your country’s vast resources and geographical location U.S, China and Russia could pose a challenge.

China also has his eyes set on Russia’s vast territory and resources.

Right now they have started to pour in money into Russia’s Far East, also demographics are starting to shift.

Alliances will be changing in the 21st century imo.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Kellyanne Conway suggested there were 18 other coronaviruses before COVID-19. "This is COVID-19 not COVID-1, folks,"

Lol

:bigblush:

I know. If you scroll back through the thread, you'll see that I posted the story when it happened.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:
57 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Interesting about the countries that have banded together to raise $11 billion to find a vaccine. Canada has said they will send about $850 million (I think). However, the United States has joined this consortium. Comments?

They have? The article that I read this morning said that the US wasn't part of this. Has that changed?

Sorry, I blew it. The US has NOT joined. I meant to write that, but didn't, I'll go back and edit it! THanks

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Also due to your country’s vast resources and geographical location U.S, China and Russia could pose a challenge.

China also has his eyes set on Russia’s vast territory and resources.

Right now they have started to pour in money into Russia’s Far East, also demographics are starting to shift.

Alliances will be changing in the 21st century imo.

I think canada does a pretty good job of managing alliances with a lot of different countries without involving politics too much.  We also have a large asian and chinese population and are probably more aligned, culturally to china than to the US.  that said, we will always be tied to the US, but I think we're better off cooling that relationship down than doubling down against the next superpower.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wloutet said:

Sorry, I blew it. The US has NOT joined. I meant to write that, but didn't, I'll go back and edit it! THanks

I thought it looked kind of weird....

I read something about the Yanks doing their own thing.....but nothing much specific about what that would be.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I've been dealing with an infection. I got tested for Covid, they stick a swap in your nose so far it feels like it touches your brain.  Fun

Results came back negative.  

Thanks for the video of the procedure you sent me:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

That is actual footage of me getting tested for covid-19 

Probably why I had to laugh when some person stole a bunch of the testing kits.  Like anybody with a sound mind would actually give themselves such a test without ANY kind of medical expertise.  Actually, not funny as those stolen tests are now of no use (and given that there's a shortage of them, could put some people in danger as that meant fewer number of people being tested [with those stolen kits]).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought it looked kind of weird....

I read something about the Yanks doing their own thing.....but nothing much specific about what that would be.

Countries pledge $8 billion for coronavirus vaccine, but U.S. absent

Looks like the world is trying to deal with this pandemic.

Norway $1.1 billion

Eu $1.1 billion

Canada $850 million

China $0.00 but was present at the meeting

Russia $0.00 absent at the meeting

USS $0.00 absent at the meeting 

I think if America comes up with a cure, vaccine, remedy, they won’t share it. They’ll sell it to other countries at exorbitant prices, perhaps even to its own States.

If the world comes up with it, Americans will be begging for it.

And they will be provided.

Edited by Me_

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think canada does a pretty good job of managing alliances with a lot of different countries without involving politics too much.  We also have a large asian and chinese population and are probably more aligned, culturally to china than to the US.  that said, we will always be tied to the US, but I think we're better off cooling that relationship down than doubling down against the next superpower.

Personally the only part of Canada that I find culturally different is Quebec.

I don’t see much difference between B.C and parts of west coast or Ontario and northeastern U.S.

I haven’t been to Alberta so I can’t speak for that province.

• Cheers 1