The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought of you.

My in-laws had 'the worst flu they have ever had' back about 4 months ago. My father in-law still doesn't feel right. I think they looked into getting anit-body tests done but were told they couldn't get them.

Me too...at Christmas.  I NEVER EVER miss work...missed a few days in a row.  Have never been that sick before...couldn't get out of bed.  I remember my son going "My God, are you ok?" when he called me as I was having a coughing fit (I really wasn't).  For some time afterward was extremely wheezy upon even mild exertion...going upstairs and, in particular, remember the walk over the bridge to the rink being almost too much.  Thought I was just in bad shape but, in hindsight, really makes me wonder.  Symptoms I'd never experienced before.  The wheezing persisted for some time...going upstairs, etc.  Things that had never caused that before suddenly brought it on and I struggled for some time.

• Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I’m in Golden right now (from Calgary). Went to the Liquor Store here last night, the sign on the door said “Masks strongly encouraged”. I wore mine, but nobody else bothered. Not the 3 other customers, and not even the employee.

Unless it's mandated at the business or out in public, we'll continue to see that. Is what it is. Standing next to someone at a Chinese restaurant right now who's not wearing one. Doesn't bother me and won't shame her or think less of her for not wearing one. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Me too...at Christmas.  I NEVER EVER miss work...missed a few days in a row.  Have never been that sick before...couldn't get out of bed.  I remember my son going "My God, are you ok?" when he called me as I was having a coughing fit (I really wasn't).  For some time afterward was extremely wheezy upon even mild exertion...going upstairs and, in particular, remember the walk over the bridge to the rink was almost too much.  Thought I was just in bad shape but, in hindsight, really makes me wonder.  Symptoms I'd never experienced before.  The wheezing persisted for some time...going upstairs, etc.  Things that had never caused that before.

I think there was alot of covid here in BC  - Dec to March.....  

My elderly mom was flattened with some kind of a bug in February.....   she recovered.   Lost my elderly mother in law in late March  though in Montreal. 

Pretty sure Covid was the cause but not certain.   She was stuck in the hospitial with no visitiors.... sucked to not say goodbye properly.  

She is buried now... but we still not done any celebration of life which is what she wanted...   We are still waiting for a time when we can all get together properly...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Unless it's mandated at the business or out in public, we'll continue to see that. Is what it is. Standing next to someone at a Chinese restaurant right now who's not wearing one. Doesn't bother me and won't shame her or think less of her for not wearing one. 

It doesnt bother you that some idiot cares so little about your health... that they won't wear a mask to protect you.....

Wow, you are a saint.     Personally, i think the person next to you is. d-bag.....   I realize they may have a medical issue so i understand that could be the reason...

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think there was alot of covid here in BC  - Dec to March.....  

My elderly mom was flattened with some kind of a bug in February.....   she recovered.   Lost my elderly mother in law in late March  though in Montreal. 

Pretty sure Covid was the cause but not certain.   She was stuck in the hospitial with no visitiors.... sucked to not say goodbye properly.  

She is buried now... but we still not done any celebration of life which is what she wanted...   We are still waiting for a time when we can all get together properly...

Yep, that's my suspicion too...that it was here in winter last year but just wasn't known.

I can't express, enough, how sad I am for you and your family in relation to your Mother in law...I can't imagine that scenario.  Helpless.

People who think it's ok to stand next to people not wearing masks (like the woman in a Chinese restaurant, above) are problematic.  They're the idiots spreading this thing for the most part.  You have two choices:  social distance OR wear a mask.  Preferably, both (to be as careful as possible).  Doing none of the above is irresponsible and unacceptable.  I do judge people because it's ignorance...those who can't wear a mask certainly can social distance themselves.  And should be, no excuses.

If everyone would follow a few basic rules we'd all be much better off.  

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

It doesnt bother you that some idiot

No, because I don't know their life, nor will I presume to. It's not mandated, only encouraged at point, she can choose not to, and it's not my place to think less of her because of it.

She's a human being, not a piece of garbage, or a "d-bag" as you so eloquently put it. Not in my eyes.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Doesn't bother me and won't shame her or think less of her for not wearing one. 

You shouldn't shame her but if we're collectively to treat the precautions as optional suggestions to follow when we see fit, this virus will be with us for  a long time. 

Best way to get the economies going again is everyone wearing masks in all indoor areas. Everyone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep, that's my suspicion too...that it was here in winter last year but just wasn't known.

I can't express, enough, how sad I am for you and your family in relation to your Mother in law...I can't imagine that scenario.  Helpless.

People who think it's ok to stand next to people not wearing masks (like the woman in a Chinese restaurant, above) are problematic.  They're the idiots spreading this thing for the most part.  You have two choices:  social distance OR wear a mask.  Preferably, both (to be as careful as possible).  Doing none of the above is irresponsible and unacceptable.  I do judge people because it's ignorance...those who can't wear a mask certainly can social distance themselves.  And should be, no excuses.

If everyone would follow a few basic rules we'd all be much better off.  

Thanks.  My wife is youngest of 10 kids - french canadian family. My mother in law was everything to my wife.   Losing her in March really sent us all for a loop.

Her being in a Montreal hospital for a month with no visitors....   at her age.....    I think it gives my wife nightmares....

People that will not wear a mask in public are 100% selfish a-holes.   Simple as that. 

• Like 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

You shouldn't shame her but if we're collectively to treat the precautions as optional suggestions to follow when we see fit, this virus will be with us for  a long time. 

Best way to get the economies going again is everyone wearing masks in all indoor areas. Everyone. 

I agree, and like everyone, I'm sure she's well aware that she has the choice to wear or not wear a mask, much like I have the choice to wear one. Doesn't make me a better or worse person, doesn't make her a better or worse person. We're both obeying the laws, and me telling her to wear or not wear one won't change things.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Monty said:

I agree, and like everyone, I'm sure she's well aware that she has the choice to wear or not wear a mask, much like I have the choice to wear one. Doesn't make me a better or worse person, doesn't make her a better or worse person. We're both obeying the laws, and me telling her to wear or not wear one won't change things.

Hopefully if she enters the restaurant without a mask... they tell her to get f... out.    Come back when she has a mask. 

• Wat 1

Just now, Monty said:

Wearing a mask makes you a better person with your commitment to the health and safety others, as advised by experts. 

Would you be in favour of making masks mandatory? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Wearing a mask makes you a better person with your commitment to the health and safety others, as advised by experts. 

Would you be in favour of making masks mandatory? 

In your opinion, it does. And that's fine. More power to you.

As for making masks mandatory? I don't care. Not my say, and my opinion on the matter won't change things. My place is to obey the laws.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah. Because kill them with douchbagery, not kindness.

KIndness doesn't work with d-bags....  Anti maskers need to be told bluntly.  

Put a mask on or get out of the business.

Simple.   You don't have the right to put the rest of us at risk of covid / death.  Come back when you have a mask, and we will be happy to have your business /support. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, Monty said:

In your opinion, it does. And that's fine. More power to you.

As for making masks mandatory? I don't care. Not my say, and my opinion on the matter won't change things. My place is to obey the laws.

Yes, it is my opinion that experts know more than us.

I wanted your opinion though. If it was your say, would you make masks mandatory? Would you have a different opinion of this woman if it was a law?

I want to economies to get going again, I want those suffering with the increased mental health challenges to get better, i want the domestic abuse to be reduced. I just feel if we all get on board we can learn to live with this virus and still create a better future and finally beat it.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Lol. Why? What does it matter if you know my opinion on it? I'm wearing a mask now, and that's enough for me.

Cause I like and respect you.

I don't know if making mask mandatory is the right thing to do myself, I don't know how they would enforce it.  I do believe that the best way to get past this is to get everyone wearing one though, one way or another.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah. Because kill them with douchbagery, not kindness.

Better than killing them with COVID though.

I’m not about to flip out at someone else being less considerate. Then again, I haven’t had a friend or family member die (yet) from it.

And I’m relatively well-insulated working from home and wife home-schooling the kids. But if I were a a doctor or nurse, I think I’d be losing my mind over what’s been going on.

Cause I like and respect you.

I don't know if making mask mandatory is the right thing to do myself, I don't know how they would enforce it.  I do believe that the best way to get past this is to get everyone wearing one though, one way or another.

That won't ever happen. There are many reasons why that's the case, but the short answer is, that will never happen. 

If masks are made mandatory? Fine. My responsibility is to obey government and the laws. But history has shown that laws don't stop people from doing things. So there will always be people not wearing masks. 

• Cheers 2