The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

It's what we did here too though. Essential business remained open but pretty much the same thing and ofc cases were super low. It was as everything started opening back up and ppl threw caution to the wind, we've seen it ramp back up. No we are at a crossroads. Do you impose a similar style lockdown again with the same poor outcomes (job loss, sanity loss, etc) or do you just try to manage outbreaks until there is a measure of control of the spread? There is no smoking gun of an answer on how to proceed. France and Italy are crumbling again too so it's not a rosy outlook worldwide either.

Where's here? BC was a joke.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Ha!

Don't get me wrong but sometimes in Canada I think we are way too soft.

Just lay the hammer.

Yah our unethical government is now re-elected so of course they can talk about cracking down now on bc covidiots....

Sickening to see politics being played that wlll cost BC citizens lives....  No wonder Dix did not appear at todays press brief... He knows that he would be accused of exactly that.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah our unethical government is now re-elected so of course they can talk about cracking down now on bc covidiots....

Sickening to see politics being played that wlll cost BC citizens lives....

That's just it.

I would have so much more respect if they were honest. I might not like it but I could respect it.

Just say kids are in school because parents need a break. In the meantime teachers get danger pay.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers.

Antibodies are a key part of our immune defences and stop the virus from getting inside the body's cells.

The Imperial College London team found the number of people testing positive for antibodies has fallen by 26% between June and September.

They say immunity appears to be fading and there is a risk of catching the virus multiple times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873

Dunno about that one.. that happens with every viral infection because your body doesn’t constantly produce antibodies after it’s beaten the infection. Those antibodies are replaced with Memory B cells and your body will begin producing the antibodies to fight that virus again as soon as it notices it again. 

18 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That's just it.

I would have so much more respect if they were honest. I might not like it but I could respect it.

Just say kids are in school because parents need a break. In the meantime teachers get danger pay.

Yes. Jingles are easy.....  doing the real work and leading is so much more difficult....

COVID-19: Case rate for B.C.'s largest health authorities would lead to school closures in Washington state

Washington State guidelines for return to in-class learning is 75 and Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health are now at 83.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-no-deaths-and-217-new-cases-reported-in-b-c-over-the-past-day

• Wat 2

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Dunno about that one.. that happens with every viral infection because your body doesn’t constantly produce antibodies after it’s beaten the infection. Those antibodies are replaced with Memory B cells and your body will begin producing the antibodies to fight that virus again as soon as it notices it again. 

There have been very few confirmed cases of people getting Covid twice. However, the researchers warn this may be due to immunity only just starting to fade since the peak infection rates of March and April.

The hope is the second infection will be milder than the first, even if immunity does decline, as the body should have an "immune memory" of the first encounter and know how to fight back.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

There have been very few confirmed cases of people getting Covid twice. However, the researchers warn this may be due to immunity only just starting to fade since the peak infection rates of March and April.

The hope is the second infection will be milder than the first, even if immunity does decline, as the body should have an "immune memory" of the first encounter and know how to fight back.

I guess I should have read the whole article instead of just the part you quoted. Why only quote the fearful part though? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I guess I should have read the whole article instead of just the part you quoted. Why only quote the fearful part though? 

I think getting covid multiple times potentially.... that is still fearful.   We just don't know yet what the long term affects will be....

Plus - can't really list the whole article...   

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Maybe in your district, but not mine 

For example.......today a grade 7 boy was not feeling well and asked if he could call home and leave.  The admin chalked it up to him just wanting to get out of school and refused to grant the request.  My understanding is if kids are not feeling well, they report to the office immediately and parents are called for pickup asap.

That sounds really odd.  I don't know of any PVP in my district that would do that given the climate we live in right now.

Reluctance to get tested is an alarming COVID trend in Montreal

People refusing to get screened fear being quarantined, missing work.

Montreal public health authorities are alarmed by what they say is a new trend — a refusal by some residents of Park Extension and other neighbourhoods to get tested for COVID-19,

Three sources have told the Montreal Gazette that more and more parents and other adults have learned how to “outsmart” the system so that they don’t have to be screened for the coronavirus if called upon by authorities.

“They don’t want to be tested because they don’t want to go into quarantine, because then they’ll have to stop working,” said a senior health official at a major hospital, who declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

• Wat 2

33 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Reluctance to get tested is an alarming COVID trend in Montreal

People refusing to get screened fear being quarantined, missing work.

Montreal public health authorities are alarmed by what they say is a new trend — a refusal by some residents of Park Extension and other neighbourhoods to get tested for COVID-19,

Three sources have told the Montreal Gazette that more and more parents and other adults have learned how to “outsmart” the system so that they don’t have to be screened for the coronavirus if called upon by authorities.

“They don’t want to be tested because they don’t want to go into quarantine, because then they’ll have to stop working,” said a senior health official at a major hospital, who declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

I'm not surprised.  If everyone quarantined that had to quarantine and we took care of those people who did quarantine (recover lost wages, fine employers heavily for wrongful dismissels, etc) places wouldn't have to go into lockdown.  Instead we don't do it adequately and you get this amid the thread of a lockdown if cases continue to surge.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The entire mindset and relationship of illness and work (missing it vs 'toughing it out') needs to be revamped. As well as addressing the issue of paid sick days.

I would always (talking pre pandemic) tell my staff to stay home if they are sick. That way they don't give it to me!

• Cheers 2

UK reports 24,701 new Covid cases vs 22,924 yesterday

Wed 28 Oct 2020 16:04:03 GMT

The pace of growth may be slowing

I thought the pace might be slowing a couple weeks ago but was proven wrong. There's hope again in today's numbers. Last Wednesday's count was a record 27,707 so there's a week-over-week decline here.

Deaths remain elevated though at 310 vs the post-spring high of 367 yesterday.

Italy posts record 24,991 virus cases vs 21,989 yesterday

Wed 28 Oct 2020 16:13:55 GMT

Italian cases are deeply concerning

Italian cases have been growing at around 100% week-over-week pace for about a month.

Macron (France): All regions are now in high alert regarding covid

Wed 28 Oct 2020 19:02:39 GMT

Comments from Macron

• All regions are now in high alert regarding covid
  • Virus circulating more quickly than forecast
  • We have taken difficult steps but these aren't enough
  • If we don't take drastic action then our doctors will be overwhelmed
  • 2nd wave likely to be worse than first wave
  • France will have 9000 patients in ICU by mid-November
  • Moving between regions will not be possible
  • New measures to take place Friday
  • Work from home will be generalized
  • Universities will go online
  • Bars and restaurants to shut
  • The economy must not stop
  • Schools will stay open
  •  
Some set of curbs was entirely expected. Schools staying open is a bit better than feared but this is going to be a big hit to GDP.
Edited by nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I would always (talking pre pandemic) tell my staff to stay home if they are sick. That way they don't give it to me!

Exactly, or to the rest of the office!

Same. You're not feeling well? GTFO was always my policy to my staff! But I get it... With no/limited sick days, people can't afford to take time off either. They've got mouths to feed and bills to pay, and/or can't afford to get behind on the work. The entire situation needs fixing.

Ability to work remotely did wonders for me on the get behind on work issue. If I wasn't feeling well, I'd simply sleep in a bit to try and get rest, and simply do as many hours as I could manage from home when I got up. Keeping my germs to myself, not falling behind (at least as much) and still getting some rest to get better. Also made my scant sick days stretch further only using half days etc.

That and we clearly need to start euthanizing the small percentage of people who would take advantage :lol:

JK :ph34r:

BC's  WEAK - scared to operate NDP  government can not even do the SIMPLEST things  such as make a mandatory mask policey or  mandatory social distancing rules in schools.....

Melbourne cheers end of Australia's strictest lockdown

Melbourne was at the heart of Australia's second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, and went into a second lockdown for nearly four months - the strictest the country had seen.

On Wednesday, the city eased restrictions and people were able to go to bars, restaurants and shops again for the first time in months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-54717051

• Huggy Bear 1