The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

religious groups and U30s. They know exactly what they're doing, they just don't care. 

halloween party in kelowna broken up with almost 180 people checked by the rcmp on premises at last estimate.

honestly...that's NOT the government.

Blame lies on the people now first and foremost

• Cheers 2

https://globalnews.ca/news/7437813/moose-jaw-saskatchewan-2800-covid-coronavirus-fine-party/

Lucas Howard is asking for help paying off a hefty fine he says he received for hosting a Halloween party amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Moose Jaw, Sask., police said officers went to a home on Friday evening after receiving a complaint of a large gathering.

Police said more than 15 people were at the gathering and Howard was issued a fine of $2,800 — $2,000 for failing to comply with a public health order and an $800 surcharge.

Indoor gatherings in Saskatchewan are limited to no more than 15 people under a public health order issued on Oct. 22 to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

It is alleged that upwards of 250 people were in attendance.

Howard said in a GoFundMe campaign that the party was with people they hang out with all the time.

“If we were to get COVID from one of the people here, we would have already gotten it,” Howard posted.

“I have a part time minimum wage job and already have rent to pay. I can’t afford the ticket. I know the consequences of my actions, and I accept the ticket that I got.”

Howard has set a goal of $2,800 — the amount of his fine. Ten dollars have been raised as of the publication of this story.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

halloween party in kelowna broken up with almost 180 people checked by the rcmp on premises at last estimate.

honestly...that's NOT the government.

Blame lies on the people now first and foremost

Lets give police more temporaty covid bylaws and possibly more staffing..... so they can better help with non compliance / covidiot behavior enforcement. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

GoFundME should not be running fundraising for this kind of a cause. Irresponsible as it could lead to more covidiot behaviors - leading to infections.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lets give police more temporaty covid bylaws and possibly more staffing..... so they can better help with non compliance / covidiot behavior enforcement. 

Police have all the powers they need. Dr. Henry has empowered them already. The police have chosen to act in an informational method rather than fining people heavy handedly. 

Guess that’s Dr. Henry’s and Horgan’s fault to eh? Don’t answer. We know what your answer is. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Police have all the powers they need. Dr. Henry has empowered them already. The police have chosen to act in an informational method rather than fining people heavy handedly. 

Guess that’s Dr. Henry’s and Horgan’s fault to eh? Don’t answer. We know what your answer is. 

Really  - you telling whoppers again....  I did not know BC had a mandatory mask law in place ...  

Don't answer - We all know what your answer is....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Really  - you telling whoppers again....  I did not know BC had a mandatory mask law in place ...  

Don't answer - We all know what your answer is....

Your post said nothing about mandatory mask law. 

You said,

”Lets give police more temporaty covid bylaws and possibly more staffing..... so they can better help with non compliance / covidiot behavior enforcement.

Again, nothing about police enforcing mandatory mask laws in that post of yours and again, the police have the ability to hand out fines and arrest people under the directions set forth by public health. 

Please stop posting like the thread’s hyperventilating crazy uncle. 

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Your post said nothing about mandatory mask law. 

You said,

”Lets give police more temporaty covid bylaws and possibly more staffing..... so they can better help with non compliance / covidiot behavior enforcement.

Again, nothing about police enforcing mandatory mask laws in that post of yours and again, the police have the ability to hand out fines and arrest people under the directions set forth by public health. 

Please stop posting like the thread’s hyperventilating crazy uncle. 

Keep up the insults....  when you can't make any kind of a logical post... i guess it all you can offer here. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

For the life of me I fail to see what purpose a mandatory mask order would serve.  Other provinces that have them have higher COVID rates than we do.  All we would achieve is having a bunch of police/bylaw/Worksafe officers running around potentially issuing fines when there are more important things they should be addressing.  I doubt we would see any significant decrease in infections when the infections are being transmitted in residences where people are gathering in groups and shouldn't be.  

If you want masks in school that doesn't require a provincial order.  That could be achieved at the school district level.  How many infections have been traced back to schools?  I know there have been numerous exposures, but I don't believe there have been a significant number of infections as a result?  From what I understand most of the infections that have been reported in schools were traced to events outside of schools?  

People  just like to blame the government for everything. They are doing a fine job.

Edited by kurtis
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm wondering if the BC Liberals were in power and they were doing EXACTLY the same thing. If KOS would be ranting as much?

A broken record is easier to listen to.  I empathize with anyone who is worried about keeping family members safe, but too much rhetoric and the point of the message is lost.  Not backed by facts or science I tend to move past the post.  

Edited by skategal
spelling
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, skategal said:

For the life of me I fail to see what purpose a mandatory mask order would serve.  Other provinces that have them have higher COVID rates than we do.  All we would achieve is having a bunch of police/bylaw/Worksafe officers running around potentially issuing fines when there are more important things they should be addressing.  I doubt we would see any significant decrease in infections when the infections are being transmitted in residences where people are gathering in groups and shouldn't be.  

If you want masks in school that doesn't require a provincial order.  That could be achieved at the school district level.  How many infections have been traced back to schools?  I know there have been numerous exposures, but I don't believe there have been a significant number of infections as a result?  From what I understand most of the infections that have been reported in schools were traced to events outside of schools?  

I don't know the answer to how to force people to wear them, but if they don't, were going back to full lockdown.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know the answer to how to force people to wear them, but if they don't, were going back to full lockdown.

Couple of things - need to be cautious of the terminology we use.  A friend pointed out to me that we've never been in a "lockdown" which would imply that we were not allowed to leave our homes but for essential services.  I was using that term incorrectly.  What we had in March/April was a shutdown of most services which by it's nature resulted in no where for us to go and all the time in the world to get there ^_^  Like all other aspects of how the government and the PHO have handled this pandemic, we were asked to stay at home unless we needed to be outside for exercise or grocery shopping/medical treatments.  We all complied with that as the situation was very new and scary.   Now it's not new, still scary for many of us but I guess since people aren't dropping like flies in the street some of the scariness has worn off for some people which is sad.  The infection rates are still arguably low enough that "not everyone knows someone who has died or is a long hauler" so the risks of infection are still not front and center in everyone's mind.   We as a society constantly battle the "3 square feet around me" syndrome.  Until it enters my space, it's not my problem.  Crappy attitude, but very prevalent.  

I agree with you that we will likely see some level of shut down again, not sure if it will be full blown province wide or more nuanced by region or activity.  In the spring much of the shutdown was voluntary, I suspect this time it will need to be by PHO order as business's now are at the brink of survival/collapse and there isn't enough government support available for many to survive another shutdown.  Perhaps that is natures law, survival of the fittest?  Hate to see a mom and pop operation that is someone's life work end up closing permanently due to forces beyond their control.  I care less about the chain stores and bigger operations but those closures still result in people being harmed.  Franchise owners, workers all end up out of jobs.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, skategal said:

Couple of things - need to be cautious of the terminology we use.  A friend pointed out to me that we've never been in a "lockdown" which would imply that we were not allowed to leave our homes but for essential services.  I was using that term incorrectly.  What we had in March/April was a shutdown of most services which by it's nature resulted in no where for us to go and all the time in the world to get there ^_^  Like all other aspects of how the government and the PHO have handled this pandemic, we were asked to stay at home unless we needed to be outside for exercise or grocery shopping/medical treatments.  We all complied with that as the situation was very new and scary.   Now it's not new, still scary for many of us but I guess since people aren't dropping like flies in the street some of the scariness has worn off for some people which is sad.  The infection rates are still arguably low enough that "not everyone knows someone who has died or is a long hauler" so the risks of infection are still not front and center in everyone's mind.   We as a society constantly battle the "3 square feet around me" syndrome.  Until it enters my space, it's not my problem.  Crappy attitude, but very prevalent.  

I agree with you that we will likely see some level of shut down again, not sure if it will be full blown province wide or more nuanced by region or activity.  In the spring much of the shutdown was voluntary, I suspect this time it will need to be by PHO order as business's now are at the brink of survival/collapse and there isn't enough government support available for many to survive another shutdown.  Perhaps that is natures law, survival of the fittest?  Hate to see a mom and pop operation that is someone's life work end up closing permanently due to forces beyond their control.  I care less about the chain stores and bigger operations but those closures still result in people being harmed.  Franchise owners, workers all end up out of jobs.  

This is 100% the kind of BC attitude that will be sending our province back to lockdown.  

Mandated masks will raise the rates of compliance - end of story. 

BC is the only major province in Canada without mandated masks, exactly because of attitudes like this. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This is 100% the kind of BC attitude that will be sending our province back to lockdown.  

Mandated masks will raise the rates of compliance - end of story. 

BC is the only major province in Canada without mandated masks, exactly because of attitudes like this. 

And attitudes like yours would have people rioting in the streets.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, skategal said:

And attitudes like yours would have people rioting in the streets.  

My god...  you are over the top.   Go check out Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal. ETC ETC ETC...

Rioting because you have to wear a mask in a store or at school  - really ? 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1