The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 hours ago, stawns said:

The admin chalked it up to him just wanting to get out of school and refused to grant the request. 

Both the Superintendent and a senior representative of whatever health authority you are in need to contact this tone-deaf administrator and explain the situation to them because they've obviously not been listening for the past 8 months......

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC's  WEAK - scared to operate NDP  government can not even do the SIMPLEST things  such as make a mandatory mask policey or  mandatory social distancing rules in schools.....

Melbourne cheers end of Australia's strictest lockdown

Melbourne was at the heart of Australia's second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, and went into a second lockdown for nearly four months - the strictest the country had seen.

On Wednesday, the city eased restrictions and people were able to go to bars, restaurants and shops again for the first time in months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-54717051

Third wave incoming

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Third wave incoming

You may be right.....  Hopefully if the government  there can establish firm rules / expectations... this could at least keep the next wave smaller and more managemable. 

Fingers crossed. No one wants to get to lockdown. 

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC's  WEAK - scared to operate NDP  government can not even do the SIMPLEST things  such as make a mandatory mask policey or  mandatory social distancing rules in schools.....

I was actually able to be a 'fly on the wall' for my wife's recent zoom meeting which included a senior manager at a LARGE health authority in this province.  A participant on the zoom meeting asked the Health Authority manager (I forgot their actual title/role, but they were essentially part of senior management) why masks aren't mandatory as well as why schools don't have social distancing like the rest of society.  The individual said that the government won't make masks mandatory because there's a part of the population who can't wear them due to pre-existing medical conditions and there's zero way to effectively enforce this in the general public anyway.  They doubled down that if people are distancing, masks weren't needed anyway.  They were then also asked about why schools were 'exempt' from most of the rest of the measures put in place for most of BC (including mask wearing) - the answer was that at the time research did not support kids/schools as major transmission risks (perhaps it has changed now).  Another participant on the zoom meeting pressed the manager about schools and surmised that the government/health authorities wouldn't make distancing rules/masks mandatory in schools not because of sound research but because the government didn't want to pay for the costs that these measures would require individual districts to incur - the manager declined to comment on this.  

Remember, these aren't my answers - they came from a Health Authority representative for what they are worth.....

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I was actually able to be a 'fly on the wall' for my wife's recent zoom meeting which included a senior manager at a LARGE health authority in this province.  A participant on the zoom meeting asked the Health Authority manager (I forgot their actual title/role, but they were essentially part of senior management) why masks aren't mandatory as well as why schools don't have social distancing like the rest of society.  The individual said that the government won't make masks mandatory because there's a part of the population who can't wear them due to pre-existing medical conditions and there's zero way to effectively enforce this in the general public anyway.  They doubled down that if people are distancing, masks weren't needed anyway.  They were then also asked about why schools were 'exempt' from most of the rest of the measures put in place for most of BC (including mask wearing) - the answer was that at the time research did not support kids/schools as major transmission risks (perhaps it has changed now).  Another participant on the zoom meeting pressed the manager about schools and surmised that the government/health authorities wouldn't make distancing rules/masks mandatory in schools not because of sound research but because the government didn't want to pay for the costs that these measures would require individual districts to incur - the manager declined to comment on this.  

Remember, these aren't my answers - they came from a Health Authority representative for what they are worth.....

it's no big secret, certainly among those of us inside the school system, that schools are exempt because we provide free day care so parents can work full time.........reagardless of the consequences we're seeing in schools now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's no big secret, certainly among those of us inside the school system, that schools are exempt because we provide free day care so parents can work full time.........regardless of the consequences we're seeing in schools now.

True, everyone knows this, but it still doesn't explain why the Provincial Health Officer and the Minister of Education both feel perfectly fine sending kids back to school full-time with ZERO meaningful measures in place.  Send kids back, sure - the economy can't run without schools, this much we've found out - but do so with at least some acknowledgement that there should be measures in place to protect kids/staff. 

Since you're in a school setting let me ask (anyone else in a school is welcome to answer as well, I'm genuinely curious about the answers):

1.  Do you feel safe going to work every day?

2.  Are there 'meaningful' measures in place for your student's safety?

3.  Are there 'meaningful' measures in place for you & your colleague's safety?

4.  Are there easily implemented measures that don't cost the school/district much money that could be in place but aren't?

5.  Are there currently practices going on at your school/worksite that effectively negate any measures that are in place (such as cohorts interacting at breaks)? 

I support education, teacher's in general, the principle that kids need to go to school, and the concept that schools are required to operate our economy - I just don't support the government's plan as to how they sent kids/teachers back to schools. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's no big secret, certainly among those of us inside the school system, that schools are exempt because we provide free day care so parents can work full time.........reagardless of the consequences we're seeing in schools now.

Free daycare is the goal.  It is still very disturbing / diappointing  to see a NDP government that does not provide PPE  or safe working conditions to school system employees and students.

Very disturbing. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

True, everyone knows this, but it still doesn't explain why the Provincial Health Officer and the Minister of Education both feel perfectly fine sending kids back to school full-time with ZERO meaningful measures in place.  Send kids back, sure - the economy can't run without schools, this much we've found out - but do so with at least some acknowledgement that there should be measures in place to protect kids/staff. 

Since you're in a school setting let me ask (anyone else in a school is welcome to answer as well, I'm genuinely curious about the answers):

1.  Do you feel safe going to work every day?

2.  Are there 'meaningful' measures in place for your student's safety?

3.  Are there 'meaningful' measures in place for you & your colleague's safety?

4.  Are there easily implemented measures that don't cost the school/district much money that could be in place but aren't?

5.  Are there currently practices going on at your school/worksite that effectively negate any measures that are in place (such as cohorts interacting at breaks)? 

I support education, teacher's in general, the principle that kids need to go to school, and the concept that schools are required to operate our economy - I just don't support the government's plan as to how they sent kids/teachers back to schools. 

1. No........I do not feel safe.  I read the procedures and protocols, but I don't see them practiced and I don't see them enforced, at all.  

2. We have measures, they are not enforced.  We have parents sending kids to school who are quite sick, who haven't been tested.  we had positive cases at one school where the kids came back before getting the results of their test and the school actually told them they should be back in school immediately following their test

3. See 2.  For instance, there's a sign outside our staff room that says "max occupancy - 6".  Today, there were 10 people in there and not one mask.  It's smaller than a classroom.

4. The measures are there, but no one is enforcing them

5. cohorts are absolutely mixing at breaks.  we have students whose parents believe it's all a hoax and they don't follow the rules at school and won't listen to supervisors who try to enforce the rules.  Admin obviously do not have the authority to discipline the way they need to.  On my staff we have have several colleagues who absolutely will not follow guidelines and refuse to wear masks, refuse to social distance etc.  It gets brought up with OH&S and nothing happens beyond a "request" to the staff members.

I feel things are very close to unravelling.

Edited by stawns
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Saw this coming a mile away :lol:

Wanted so badly to send the kids to make new friends in our new town but we saw the plan and were like: :blink: Figured by Nov-Dec it would all quickly go to $&!#... Looks like even that was optimistic lol

My wife has accepted a position working in distributed learning (CEAP). I think you mentioned doing DL with your kids. 

As you can imagine the applicants have sky rocketed this year. 

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My wife has accepted a position working in distributed learning (CEAP). I think you mentioned doing DL with your kids. 

As you can imagine the applicants have sky rocketed this year. 

Yeah I think they said they normally have +/- 150 kids and this year have around 750'ish in our district :lol: 

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

1. No........I do not feel safe.  I read the procedures and protocols, but I don't see them practiced and I don't see them enforced, at all.  

2. We have measures, they are not enforced.  We have parents sending kids to school who are quite sick, who haven't been tested.  we had positive cases at one school where the kids came back before getting the results of their test and the school actually told them they should be back in school immediately following their test

3. See 2.  For instance, there's a sign outside our staff room that says "max occupancy - 6".  Today, there were 10 people in there and not one mask.  It's smaller than a classroom.

4. The measures are there, but no one is enforcing them

5. cohorts are absolutely mixing at breaks.  we have students whose parents believe it's all a hoax and they don't follow the rules at school and won't listen to supervisors who try to enforce the rules.  Admin obviously do not have the authority to discipline the way they need to.  On my staff we have have several colleagues who absolutely will not follow guidelines and refuse to wear masks, refuse to social distance etc.  It gets brought up with OH&S and nothing happens beyond a "request" to the staff members.

I feel things are very close to unravelling.

Unfortunately even if they did follow and didn't mix, they are mixing the minute they leave school, whether its walking home, taking a bus, seeing each other on weekends, etc.  Buddy said they were able to get kids to not mix for about 2 weeks or so, then after that it was impossible to try and police the kids, they just gave up at lunch time after those first couple weeks. It really is a no win situation unfortunately, all these kids are mixing outside of the classroom regardless.

On your #2 are the kids coming back after the test or after the results?  Its one thing to get them back as soon as the results are known (as long as negative) but if they are coming back before that then that should be a no go automatically. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Unfortunately even if they did follow and didn't mix, they are mixing the minute they leave school, whether its walking home, taking a bus, seeing each other on weekends, etc.  Buddy said they were able to get kids to not mix for about 2 weeks or so, then after that it was impossible to try and police the kids, they just gave up at lunch time after those first couple weeks. It really is a no win situation unfortunately, all these kids are mixing outside of the classroom regardless.

On your #2 are the kids coming back after the test or after the results?  Its one thing to get them back as soon as the results are known (as long as negative) but if they are coming back before that then that should be a no go automatically. 

The cohort is so they can contact trace if there's an outbreak and get it before it gets to community spread.

I agree though, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I will say, there's a good number of kids whose families are keeping contacts small beyond school hours

1 hour ago, Russ said:

The kids are coming back after the test, before the results.  That's how the infection/exposure happened at one of our high schools.  The kid had symptoms, got tested and came back for the last three days if the week before he got his positive result.  I will say I don't know the student directly but know teachers who are currently in isolation because of it.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The kids are coming back after the test, before the results.  That's how the infection/exposure happened at one of our high schools.  The kid had symptoms, got tested and came back for the last three days if the week before he got his positive result.  I will say I don't know the student directly but know teachers who are currently in isolation because of it.

COVID-19: Fraser Health reports case count almost twice the number that's keeping schools closed in Washington State

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/covid-19-outbreak-at-drug-treatment-facility-near-kelowna-as-b-c-records-287-new-cases/wcm/6c822c41-82da-4be2-b5dc-a552096e7ba9

Edited by kingofsurrey

6 hours ago, stawns said:

to be fair, it's coming onto summer there, so they'll mostly be outside, as we were all summer.  Though I suppose in it's outside weather most of the year there

i was beinf facetious for the most part but you are right.

About a week ago I wrote an email to the  B.C. cdc;

| Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 4:08 PM | Subject: covid related illnesses. --- Hi: I’m searching for  government/cdc numbers regarding the numbers of people that are possibly permanently disabled by surviving Covid-19. I’ve seen it alleged that many people end up with heart and lung problems but am unable to find verifiable data. Hope you can provide a link. Thanks in advance 

Well I just got a response:

Hi xxxx,

This information is not currently collected by the BCCDC.

I have to admit, this shocks me, and worries me greatly.

Man, it's too bad that the global community has to suck China's ****.  Too bad countries hit hard by SARS weren't emulated much more closely.   But MY FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/29/taiwan-domestic-covid-19-infection

Taiwan marks 200 days without domestic Covid-19 infection

Authorities thank public for helping to reach milestone, as cases surge in many countries

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2