The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Interesting maybe read up on Taiwan. @debluvscanucks is absolutely correct. 

The only reason he isn't closing the border is he doesn't want to aggravate the Americans, however his first priority should be keeping Canadians safe.

and exactly how does border closing achieve this ?

only makes sense if a complete lock down is in effect

makes no sense otherwise

we are not in a complete lock down

don't cite general stats

explain what this tactic will actually achieve

to address the close contact required to spread infection

otherwise it is fear mongering

and while you are at it

explain why the WHO does not support border restrictions?

they are the preeminant expert on this issue

you think they are mistaken?

Edited by coastal.view

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't vote for JT and I don't think they're doing enough, but I do feel he's the right leader at this time.  He's a compassionate person and I truly feel that he has the best interests of all Canadians in his heart.  It's much easier to point fingers at times like this than it is to try and map a way out of it and look out for the needs of 40ish million people.

Now isn't the time to try and tear people down (not saying you), now is the time to tighten our bonds together.

well said, and i think a lot of people feel that way. I do think it helps that Freeland is such a competent person too, everyone knows JT has a solid backup there. She's Trudeau's Cory Schneider (in his good years).

Where Canada will fall down is the gaps we left in our system, which thankfully seem to be holding for the most part and also allow some flexibility on the fly here with things like increased screening and also the financial supports that are inevitable and will be needed very very soon. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You lost me here.  

if we keep our borders open

we will not add overall numbers of people here

people will just come in go in relatively equal numbers

unless there is a rush of people to our province

and why would that happen

and if by chance it does

then i agree border restrictions may become necessary

otherwise not so much

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well said, and i think a lot of people feel that way. I do think it helps that Freeland is such a competent person too, everyone knows JT has a solid backup there. She's Trudeau's Cory Schneider (in his good years).

Where Canada will fall down is the gaps we left in our system, which thankfully seem to be holding for the most part and also allow some flexibility on the fly here with things like increased screening and also the financial supports that are inevitable and will be needed very very soon. 

I expect a complete pause of our economic system will be coming in the very near future........rent, mortagages, bills etc etc etc.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I expect a complete pause of our economic system will be coming in the very near future........rent, mortagages, bills etc etc etc.  

Same. Not sure exactly what it looks like big picture but something like this will have to happen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Working from home from tomorrow. Of course in IT we are given last minute's notice to get everyone set up with a soft phone and SSL VPN connection lmao

I'm in the office waiting for the last of my staff to get VPN access

So hurry up, would ya!  :P 

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The only reason he isn't closing the border is he doesn't want to aggravate the Americans, however his first priority should be keeping Canadians safe.

the reality is we need an economy to come back to once this passes. If we close off US business travel, even the small amount of it there will be in the next month, it just makes things that much harder. And yeah we do a have a US relationship to manage, which sucks at times to be sure. 

With the self-isolating, gathering size reductions, and social distancing I'm not too concerned about some US travellers tbh, we're already in semi-lockdown so all things considered the risk is probably low vs. the potential fallout from an outright US border ban. But I'd feel better if there was an analysis we could sink out teeth into. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we'll see a pause of the NYSE for a week or so as well. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yup, March 2020 will basically not exist in financial books :lol:

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats why lock down mode is only going to last about a month. It really can't go on much longer. 

sadly, that's not in our control.........mother nature seems to have other plans!  I suppose if they shut down all non essential business and forced people to stay home we might have a fighting chance of getting out of the worst of it by June.  However, it's pretty clear that a significant chunk of the population just doesn't give a sh!t.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

has anyone applied for ei with the t2 for coronavirus lack of work or whatever it is called? is it the same process as regular ei? They said they were waiving the waiting period for payment, be interesting to see if that will be true when they get overflowed with people applying. I may fall into that category soon, boss doesn't know what to do now I am on day 2 of not working

1 minute ago, stawns said:

sadly, that's not in our control.........mother nature seems to have other plans!  I suppose if they shut down all non essential business and forced people to stay home we might have a fighting chance of getting out of the worst of it by June.  However, it's pretty clear that a significant chunk of the population just doesn't give a sh!t.

lots of people don't care about their own health. Yours? meh, rite?

once you wrap your head around the fact that the gov't isn't trying to stop the virus, just slow it, things make more sense. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the reality is we need an economy to come back to once this passes. If we close off US business travel, even the small amount of it there will be in the next month, it just makes things that much harder. And yeah we do a have a US relationship to manage, which sucks at times to be sure. 

With the self-isolating, gathering size reductions, and social distancing I'm not too concerned about some US travellers tbh, we're already in semi-lockdown so all things considered the risk is probably low vs. the potential fallout from an outright US border ban. But I'd feel better if there was an analysis we could sink out teeth into. 

I'm not suggesting shut down trade, I also don't think @debluvscanucks is saying that. But non essential travel is not needed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lots of people don't care about their own health. Yours? meh, rite?

once you wrap your head around the fact that the gov't isn't trying to stop the virus, just slow it, things make more sense. 

truly, we can do everything right, but if the US doesn't manage it, it's not going to matter anyway.  And I think it's pretty clear the US administration has tragically botched the entire situation at this point.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not suggesting shut down trade, I also don't think @debluvscanucks is saying that. But non essential travel is not needed.

for sure. I guess the question is, how much of that will there really be? what are they going to come and do? most of our major tourist areas are now closed. 

• Cheers 1