The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sure people make choices, and need care. And our system is designed to handle that. But the problem with the "what about fatty" discussion is they don't normally collapse the system the way the anti-vaxxers are now.

We wouldn't have to shut down surgeries if the anti-vaxxed had got their shot. Thats just the plain fact of it. 

I think if we want to get theoretical, if you had one hospital bed left, and two patients, one vaxed and the other unvaxed, both at risk, who gets the care?

I’m not arguing they aren’t making a mess.  
Im arguing we can’t pick and choose who gets help.  
We all pay it to the system and a lot of people’s poor choices are putting them in the hospitals.  

My answer to the theoretical,   Why the hell is there still only 1 damn bed?   
Billions wasted on keeping us home wit no result, but still no beds…..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Even if you had the beds, you won't have the trained staff.

It also takes years to build a hospital, unless you are China.

1 Where is the hospital going to be

a) Is it properly zoned?

b) do they own the land?

c) Is there enough Hydro power to keep the hospital running, or will new infrastructure be  needed?

d) sewer capacity- do they need bigger underground pipes or not?

e) can you land a medical chopper at that site?

f) is the hospital reachable, traffic wise? Will you need two lanes each way? Traffic lights?

g) is the hospital close to where the employees live, or do they expect the doctors, nurses and all the other folk- janitorial, clerical, maintenance folk just going to have to drive a couple of hours each way to work?

I'm sure the list of things needed is HUGE.

@ronthecivil would be better able to build this list.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Couldn’t disagree more.    
Never should this be mandatory.  
That’s disgusting. 

You should be able to go to the gym. 
You are vaxed, you show your passport.  
It’s insane that you can’t.  

It seems like you are only reading bits and pieces of what I’m saying, so I don’t think this conversation is worth having much longer.  
Im fully vaxed and think everyone should be.  
There is zero chance everyone will get on board, and we will get through it regardless. 
There has been antivaxers through every single pandemic, and humanity always gets through it.  

How we are being treated through this all is why people think we will never get out until everyone gets the shots, but in reality, the virus already looks to be weakening.  Those who aren’t vaxed will likely end up with natural immunity after they get it a couple times.  
The vaxed will end up getting it too, causing better immunity in the future.  Herd immunity takes over and we are done.  

The virus isn’t the major issue anymore. 
The poor reaction by the dopes in charge are the issue.   
I stead of spending billions of fast tracking healthcare upgrades, they spent billions on keeping us all home, and we still need the upgrades.  

This virus is a fast moving object, that is mutating as it goes. Thankfully we've got very good "dopes" in charge trying to find a way out of this. But, people that don't want a free, tested vaccine are hindering this process. The World community has already spent BILLIONS on the cure, the care, and the medical staff and scientists are paying a much larger price than you or I are, because we can't go to a gym.

The Province says that over 70% of the patients are the unvaccinated, people in ICU has again spiked, so yes, as long as you keep trying to answer with your dribs and drabs of your talking points I'm going to respond.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

Been sick for the past 3 days.  Pretty sure I got Covid.  The testing site is packed and even after u make ur appointment.  U will need to wait 60-90 mins.    For sure my symptoms this time is worst than I got Covid back in Dec 2020

Doctor Bonnie advised those who are experiencing mild (cold and flu like) symptoms to assume they have Covid and stay home, unless they are in a high risk group for serious illness, like the unvaccinated.  

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m sure if the government gave antivaxers the money back they paid in for all those years, they’d be fine with it.  
Use it to go to private care somewhere.  

Are you going to start denying beds for diabetics?  People with lung cancer?   
I destroyed me knee while skiing.  It was a choice I made.  Should I have been denied treatment as well?    Someone else could have used that surgery time for sure!

Where does it end?

How can you draw the line there?

Insurance, medical or otherwise doesn't work that way.  If I was denied coverage on a claim because of some clause on my insurance, I can't ask for reimbursement of all my previous premiums that I paid.  Also its not really correct to bring up obesity, smoking etc.. because our medical system and insurance is designed to cover those things.  It is not designed to cover costs and resources associated with a pandemic and those who choose not to get vaxxed.  Similarly, many insurance companies won't insure flood claims if you choose to live on a flood plain.  Condo buildings that don't have functioning sprinkler systems will be denied coverage if damage from a fire occurs.  See the connection here?

No, I don't agree with physical force as a means to mandate vaccinations but there should be consequences and costs associated with your choice not to vaccinate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Doctor Bonnie says to stay home if having mild symptoms and assume it’s Covid, unless you’re in a high risk group for serious disease.  Since the science shows there’s no higher risk group for serious illness from Covid than the unvaccinated, are these people taking up the testing spots too?  

Private health insurance in the States charging more for the unvaccinated, and getting antivaxxers to pay for medical cost associated with Covid.  Their reasoning is there are free, effective, and safe vaccines.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccination-health-insurance-cost-treatment/#app

https://wgntv.com/news/unvaccinated-people-may-have-to-pay-more-for-health-insurance/

We will take a different path up here.  I wonder what that will be?  

Edited by Alflives

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doctor Bonnie says to stay home if having mild symptoms and assume it’s Covid, unless you’re in a high risk group for serious disease.  Since the science shows there’s no higher risk group for serious illness from Covid than the unvaccinated, are these people taking up the testing spots too?  

That’s the problem here. If you’re having mild symptoms don’t go get tested! Stay home and assume you have it!

Too many people using up tests that don’t need to be tested.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

“I just saw three doctors agree ...”

Now that’s evidence.  :lol:

Get vaccinated.  

A new analysis out of the CDC shows just how extremely effective COVID-19 vaccines are against COVID-19 associated hospitalization and death. Among 1,228,664 fully vaccinated individuals across the United States, 185 (0.015%) had severe illness and 36 (0.0033%) died.”

Where is the comparison to people who have already had covid? They will have a lower % of hospitalization and death, unless those doctors are wrong. I doubt you'll find a doctor that will say vaccine immunity is stronger than the natural immunity of a survivor. I am also sure you won't find a doctor that won't go on to say you still need to be vaccinated, even though that isn't the question.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

sorry to hear that. I hope he's OK.

Thank you, he is. He had cold symptoms, but had them longer than I would have liked (10 days?). It was not a fun wait. His wife is single vaxxed and has an auto immune thing, looks like she will be ok as well.

Edited by Gatzkek
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the problem here. If you’re having mild symptoms don’t go get tested! Stay home and assume you have it!

Too many people using up tests that don’t need to be tested.

The thing is dr. Bonnie said to stay home with mild symptoms unless you’re in a high risk group.  Antivaxxers are the highest risk group.  The facts show these people are filling up our hospital and ICU beds.  I don’t think it’s too much of a leap to assume they are also the ones filling up the testing centres too.  

1 minute ago, Gatzkek said:

Where is the comparison to people who have already had covid? They will have a lower % of hospitalization and death, unless those doctors are wrong. I doubt you'll find a doctor that will say vaccine immunity is stronger than natural immunity of a survivor. I am also sure you won't find a doctor that won't go on to say you still need to be vaccinated, even though that isn't the question.

He is. He had cold symptoms, but had them longer than I would have liked (10 days?). It was not a fun wait. His wife is single vaxxed and has an auto immune thing, looks like she will be ok as well.

The evidence is already in, and has been presented here on several occasions.  Vaccine immunity is by far and away better than previous infection.  

There are dead people who thought going to a “let’s catch Covid party” was a better way to get protection than these vaccines.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The evidence is already in, and has been presented here on several occasions.  Vaccine immunity is by far and away better than previous infection.  

There are dead people who thought going to a “let’s catch Covid party” was a better way to get protection than these vaccines.  

They did not have natural immunity, they sought natural immunity. There is a difference.

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Insurance, medical or otherwise doesn't work that way.  If I was denied coverage on a claim because of some clause on my insurance, I can't ask for reimbursement of all my previous premiums that I paid. 

Your MSP doesn’t have that clause

18 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Also its not really correct to bring up obesity, smoking etc.. because our medical system and insurance is designed to cover those things.  It is not designed to cover costs and resources associated with a pandemic and those who choose not to get vaxxed.  Similarly, many insurance companies won't insure flood claims if you choose to live on a flood plain.  Condo buildings that don't have functioning sprinkler systems will be denied coverage if damage from a fire occurs.  See the connection here?

No, I don't agree with physical force as a means to mandate vaccinations but there should be consequences and costs associated with your choice not to vaccinate.

There are consequences, but your life shouldnt be one of them. 
You all are picking and choosing who lives and dies.  
Pretty wild of you guys. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gatzkek said:

They did not have natural immunity, they sought natural immunity. There is a difference.

Regardless.  Makes no sense to not get vaccinated too.  Natural immunity wanes.  Will need to get vaccinated anyway.  Unless, the antivaxxers expect to get Covid every year.  There is that method, of course.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Your MSP doesn’t have that clause

There are consequences, but your life shouldnt be one of them. 
You all are picking and choosing who lives and dies.  
Pretty wild of you guys. 

Nope MSP does not at the moment.  But these are unprecedented times no?

Pretty sure they are the ones choosing who lives or dies.

Again, I'm hoping we don't get to that point where we have to start denying coverage for the unvaccinated.  But really what else do we do?  If the hospital beds are taken up by some antivaxxers who had exercised their freedumb rights and your close family member gets into an unfortunate accident and requires emergency surgery but can't get it then what would your feelings be then?  

• Like 1

I have had 6 family members (including myself) and in laws get COVID in last two weeks. We have all been careful so not sure how we got it or who got it first. Impossible to trace to source with so many getting Omicron now. Most residents in BC will all have had it within about the next 6 weeks.

All mildish symptoms and everyone is fine. All were vaccinated.

For those that have not yet had it, main symptoms were a very sore throat, cough, low fever, and extreme fatigue. 

I feel mostly fine now already.

Edited by Canuck Luck
  • Huggy Bear 4