The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

It’s human nature, don’t  think politics doesn’t play in decisions like this.  That would be a little naive.  There are countless examples of hockey decisions based entirely on politics.  It’s a sad reality. 

ok, I'll bite.   Been around a lot of hockey clubs in my life and not once have I seen a personnel decision made to make someone "look good" that would harm a team's success.   Tell me some examples of such hockey decisions from the "countless" examples you have.    :)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

ok, I'll bite.   Been around a lot of hockey clubs in my life and not once have I seen a personnel decision made to make someone "look good" that would harm a team's success.   Tell me some examples of such hockey decisions from the "countless" examples you have.    :)

messier vs trevor linden?

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

messier vs trevor linden?

Oh, something from the dark ages is one of the "countless" examples?    Further, one player was not "cut" for the other in that case and it is no way similar to the claim made about two rookie assets and that one may be chose over the other due to egos and would be one of "countless examples".     Sorry, this one doesn't cut it at all.    To save you some time, neither will any other example as it is a ridiculous premise.

15 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just want to make a point here.......

Benning has made every pick since he has been GM..............every pick

As he approved every pick...............and probably was the one that announced the pick

Good ones, bad ones........he's made them all

image.png

image.pngThere's a whole lot of people weighing in....trust me.  

But this is the end of the process....it starts, as you know, much much earlier when they scout the players.   But final decisions are a joint effort.

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

I hope so I just bet my friend 50 that he scores 20 this year because he said he wouldn’t make the team lol!!!

If your friend doesn't think he'll make the team, couldn't you just have bet he'll score one goal?

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Too spoiled with these players you’ve seem to have forgotten the one player that gave us hope again in the first place 

I’ve never been huge on bowser ( I call him that for real). I thought teams figured him out after his first year , apples went up goals went down.... I indeed totally brain farted on that .... it’s bed time I’m eating my words too much ... this thread is getting huge and it’s still seven days till our first game love the hype going into this year !!!!

also scorvat was the one who gave me hope brother 

Edited by gottalovethosenucks
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ok, so if I don’t tediously go through all the numerous examples one by one you win the argument? Lol, I’m not doing your homework, it’s universal common knowledge that anyone who has followed hockey throughout the decades knows as a fact.  Politics always plays a role in hockey. Its not right, but it’s a universal fact.  How many young players over the years have you seen sent down to the minors after they’ve skated circles around lazy veterans like Loui? Only to find Loui has the job and the player that skated circles around him was sent down.  You seriously expect me to go through the decades of examples? Lol. 

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

But this is the end of the process....it starts, as you know, much much earlier when they scout the players.   But final decisions are a joint effort.

Bottom pic reminds me of a group of CDCers sitting down at a table coming up with their own top 10 draft rankings. Top pic is when CDCers fall in love with the pick and stand in line to get a good look. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Not sure if you were for me or agin me on this one Deb

But just to make it clear

Regards less of who said what or pick whom.......the bottom line always rest with Benning......

Lets make a point here..........so Gradin says pick joe Smo

Benning who is that........my brother in law

No, I don't think so

It will always be ran past Benning, no matter what

maybe not at the draft table, but somewhere along the line

Benning approved it

Even if it was just hiring the right people, who he can trust

or promoting them....that is Benning