The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Neither did Boeser or Quinn Hughes, but they turned out fine.  The thing is I don’t think Juolevi has out played Rathbone.  Rathbone looks sharper, faster and sees the ice better, that behind the back pass to Pettersson showcased his creativity.  And the numbers he put up in the NCAA were as good as Quinn Hughes numbers.  Not saying he’s Quinn but he’s a very good top 4 Defenceman.  His agility and edge work are very noticeable.  If it’s a choice between those 2 I’d pick Rathbone.  Juolevi looks solid but he’s not noticeable like Jack Rathbone.  Juolevi’s injuries have set his development back and it shows.   Edit: Pettersson didn’t play in the AHL either.  They’ve all played against men, in the case of Hoglander he’s been playing against men since he was 17. 

Canucks fans should be stoked about Rathbone playing against men in the NCAA for the last 2 years. Compare his numbers with Quinn Hughes.  

5478D7B2-896F-4DE1-99AF-64DBC6FC5AFF.jpeg

D6A25AE0-1074-4CCB-A2B2-CBEE8716FC92.jpeg

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yikes, I totally forgot about those days. The days before Boeser joined the team.

Yes, we've come a long way...

C7ey3E3VYAA1RmJ?format=jpg&name=large

I saw the sedins last home game clip a little while ago and MY GOD no wonder we sucked with the line up we were dressing 

Baertschi-horvat-virtanen

and 

Hutton-stecher 

used to be a thing 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Millsy said:

Tbh it doesn’t really bother me. As long as we don’t go full Europe I wouldn’t care.

that being said, I’ve always wondered why companies advertise on jerseys, the boards etc. When I go to a game and see a Honda add on the boards, it won’t make me want a Honda if I’m buying a car, unless I wanted a Honda, I won’t buy a Samsung TV if I wasn’t considering one etc. Personally, I think these companies waste their money lol.

It's not wasting their money if it's an excuse not to pay their employees a living wage.

• Wat 1

44 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Neither did Boeser or Quinn Hughes, but they turned out fine.  The thing is I don’t think Juolevi has out played Rathbone.  Rathbone looks sharper, faster and sees the ice better, that behind the back pass to Pettersson showcased his creativity.  And the numbers he put up in the NCAA were as good as Quinn Hughes numbers.  Not saying he’s Quinn but he’s a very good top 4 Defenceman.  His agility and edge work are very noticeable.  If it’s a choice between those 2 I’d pick Rathbone.  Juolevi looks solid but he’s not noticeable like Jack Rathbone.  Juolevi’s injuries have set his development back and it shows.   Edit: Pettersson didn’t play in the AHL either.  They’ve all played against men, in the case of Hoglander he’s been playing against men since he was 17. 

I don’t think anyone doesn’t see that Rathbone has the talent to play in the NHL and will, but:

- you’re making assertions based on what? None of us see the practices or scrimmages . To say he’s ready from a few clips is not a valid away to assess 

- green himself said Rathbone needs to work on the defensive details. 

- Juolevi is further ahead in his all around game and particularly the defensive side given his experience.

- for the role of a #6 you need to be ready defensively for the NHL, and OJ is clearly there and has proven  he’s “ready” to handle that 

- Petey and Hughes are future superstars and already stars, comparing their ability to jump straight into the nhl to most players is absurd, they are not the “norm”, they are the exception and Rathbone is not at that level.

- it’s much easier for forwards to jump in vs men than dmen. The physical toll and responsibility is lower 

- Quinn Hughes jumping in is not a valid benchmark given comments above 

- it’s not Political, the coach will choose the player most ready and able to help the team win, that’s his job

Edited by Millsy
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Omg :lol:

And we watched this team for 82 games. What a nightmare. 

Looking back, we should thank those sucky players!!! Without them, we wouldn't have the luxury of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Hoglander, etc... 

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yikes, I totally forgot about those days. The days before Boeser joined the team.

Yes, we've come a long way...

C7ey3E3VYAA1RmJ?format=jpg&name=large

33 minutes ago, billabong said:

I saw the sedins last home game clip a little while ago and MY GOD no wonder we sucked with the line up we were dressing 

Baertschi-horvat-virtanen

and 

Hutton-stecher 

used to be a thing 

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

20 minutes ago, Millsy said:

omg indeed 

Megna!

Chaput!

boucher

skillle

and JB is still criticized. This is hard evidence of how great of a job he’s done rebuilding 

I went to a thriller Canucks vs. Blackhawks game last season where the Canucks won 7-5. The buzz in the building and I remember on my way back on the sky train chatting about the game with other fans. It was awesome. I said "we just scored 7 goals in one game, a couple of years ago when Megna and Chaput was on the team, we probably scored 7 goals total in a 5 game homestand." We've come a long way indeed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Looking back, we should thank those sucky players!!! Without them, we wouldn't have the luxury of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Hoglander, etc... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Schmautzie said:

Any thoughts on who kills penalties for us on defence? If Juolevi makes the bottom pairing either he or Hughes will have to be play the left side on the second PK unit.

Watched lots of games when OJ was in the minors, and he was great on the PK in the season where "his numbers went down". Team guy who suffered offensively while he played big minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hoglander deserves to be in the lineup, one week from now.

He look that good? i sure hope they put out some highlights from the scrimmage. 

I am so excited for this kid. Juolevi and Rathbone too.