The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 20 Seasons by Canuck Defensemen [Article/Long Read]

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Loved it! Real good stuff.... thanks for sharing :)

There's some guys I'd move around a little but overall it's really well done. Hoff too high in both his nominations if you ask me. He really padded his stats thanks to Hank & Danny IMO

No disrespect to Jovocop who I loved growing up... but I'd have Quinn #1 by a fair margin - Twenty year old kid, undersized D-man comes into the NHL and drives the play every time he's on the ice. Ends up with 53 points in only 68 games and 16 more points in only 17 playoff games... 69 points in 85GP as a 20 year old... 

Jovo had a strong playoff too... 7 goals 1 assist in 14GP but I just don't remember watching those playoffs and thinking wow Jovo is our saviour...

Was hoping to see a Sami Salo mention but he really never did rack up big time points. He was just a steady humble dman with an absolute bomb of a shot.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I like the list but there should have been room for Adrian Aucoin in 1998-1999

Every time he touched the puck on the PP it seemed like it went in 

1998-99 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 23 11 34

Yeah I did think about him, but I decided to focus more on points than goals.

• Cheers 1

Nice read AJ, well done.   Jovo for sure deserves his recognition on this list, was the closest thing we’ve had to an all around number one defenseman for a couple of seasons.   Reinhart was one though for sure despite his career almost ending...for a couple of years Jovo was up there with the biggest names in hockey - Olympic gold, setting up the clinching goal too if I re-call.     Sure his game had flaws too... he did his best for me to forget who we traded for him. 

Hopefully QHs can bring it - sure looks to have the chops for it.    Lumme and Lidster also had their moments, and Babych was about as solid as they come for a second pairing D come playoff time.  Snepsts, Murzyn and Mitchell also deserve a shout-out as three of our better defensive D’s.   Murzyn I think owns our single season record for plus minus at around plus 34 for a D.    Mitchell - well let’s just say I wish we re-signed him, definitely could have used him against Boston.   And Snepsts - one of our best fighters all-time and what a mustache. 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:53 PM, oldnews said:

Very hard to take that list seriously.

Particularly Ehrhoff at 2 and 6 - rookie Hughes at 3.

Highlight reel stuff. 

Yeah I had a hard time with some of it too.   Erhoff was more of a symbiotic thing given the team he played with at the time - same could be said about a few others.   Adrian Aucion is a notable obmission, playing on some not so great teams he filled the net more then any Canuck before or since on the power play (and I wasn’t even much of a fan at the time missed the old guard ... Sopel wasn’t much different)...  Also Bieksa led the league one year on even strength scoring ... 5 x 5 that is ...starting at 20, well I’d have him a little higher.   Have zero issue with Jovo at the top, for a few years anyways he looked to be the first number one all around defenseman  ever ...  2002 was his golden year, representing Canada and also doing it well at Salt Lake plus what he managed for sure is the best year a Canuck has ever done....he was a beast and part of the gold medal clinching play.  To be a top six Canadian defenseman is no small thing regardless of era, he did it in the dead puck one.  

Do feel a couple guys are missing.  Murzyn 93 season ... team leading record plus minus (tied with ... gulp Dixon Ward ha ha so maybe not - but the best a D has managed and probably won’t be broken for a very long time yet plus 34 I think). 

Snepsts maybe he wasn’t the best but he was one of the better defensive defenseman in the league during his tenure and one of the best fighters we’ve ever had.   Lumme... well he was very good all the time. 

And then there is Babych who’s PGP playoff record stands alone as one of best performers.   Seems like there could be a little recentcy bias ...  Lidster’s season at 12 seems a little suspect.    Personally if I had to rank our best D’s Erhoff’s name wouldn’t make the top ten, but get that this has to do about best seasons.   Bieksa or Erhoff?  Sorry Erhoff not a chance there. 

Hughes is a tough one.   For sure deserving of top 20...but not that high, defense is a big part of being a defenseman.   Maybe 5-7 seems about right and expect he will eventually hold 1-7 by the time he’s done.