The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#43 Q. Hughes now Officially The Worst +/- Defenseman & Player in the entire league.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

On 5/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, Devron44 said:

Quinn is 21 years old. Get your heads out of your asses 

That sounds like an excuse. He's in the NHL now. He should be picking up the clues, tips and learning the plays and eliminating bad habits. All the odd man rushes we have seen due to his bad positioning is to much. Learn from his mistake not mistakes.

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

That sounds like an excuse. He's in the NHL now. He should be picking up the clues, tips and learning the plays and eliminating bad habits. All the odd man rushes we have seen due to his bad positioning is to much. Learn from his mistake not mistakes.

Have it your way. 21 years old is far far from a developed player. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Have it your way. 21 years old is far far from a developed player. 

Just so I can understand your pearls of wisdom at what age should we consider a young players past the development stage ( I understand most players develop over the years for life ) By the by Rathbone also 21 is a plus player. One encouraging thing is Juolevi is only a minus -1 which is a big improvement and he's 22. Hughes is a minus -24

Just now, DarthMelvin said:

So what you are saying is he should spend time in Abbotsford this fall?

I guess you don’t really understand that once a player is in the NHL that’s only the first step. It can take years before they’ve learnt and experienced enough to become better players. Typically why you see players have their best years mid to late 20’s. Also defence is the most reachable aspect. Can’t teach the other special things this kid can do.

Keep doing you man. There’s lots with the same opinion you have.

13 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

If you paid any kind of attention this year you  would have seen Hughes improve his defensively play considerably from the early parts of the season. This was just his second full season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just so I can understand your pearls of wisdom at what age should we consider a young players past the development stage ( I understand most players develop over the years for life ) By the by Rathbone also 21 is a plus player. One encouraging thing is Juolevi is only a minus -1 which is a big improvement and he's 22. Hughes is a minus -24

The difference is Quinn is playing the most minutes of all the defencemen out side of Myers I believe. Quinn also plays heavy minutes when the team is trailing because of his offence ability. We trailed a lot this year and weren’t a very good team. Quinn’s plus/minus is a reflection of that along with his defence struggles.

It’s also typical that a players struggled in his second year pro. I believe Horvat was -30 in his second year for similar reasons. More responsibilities but also other teams are watching video and have learnt tendencies. 

Development is a continuous thing and usually it takes years before a player peaks. Then it’s more about finding way to adapt as a player gets older 

9 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

+/- is a stupid stat.  I wish they would have a combination of all goals personally (with goalies in net).

I counted 4 assists this year Hughes got but subbed of the ice. So he got an assist but no plus. Then add up how many empty netters teams had this year. 10? Hughes would have been on the ice for all of them.

Hughes needs and will improve defensively but the stat is dinosaur and more of a reflection of the team then anything 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

+/- is a stupid stat.  I wish they would have a combination of all goals personally (with goalies in net).

I checked and Jordie Benn had the highest +/- on the Canucks this season....

Have to wonder why management would trade away our best player.....:unsure:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I guess you don’t really understand that once a player is in the NHL that’s only the first step. It can take years before they’ve learnt and experienced enough to become better players. Typically why you see players have their best years mid to late 20’s. Also defence is the most reachable aspect. Can’t teach the other special things this kid can do.

Keep doing you man. There’s lots with the same opinion you have.

I guess? lol

Well since we are guessing... I guess you don't know why we have a farm team. Maybe he should spend some time down on the farm.  This is not a learn as you go team. Well apparently so far it is...but it shouldn't be. 

Yes I will keep striving for a winning team rather than a mediocre core.  thanks :)

2 hours ago, Pears said:

If you paid any kind of attention this year you  would have seen Hughes improve his defensively play considerably from the early parts of the season. This was just his second full season. 

I wouldn't say full...but if you want to say 2nd full season...well he should be well on his way to being a stable core but his numbers say otherwise. You seem disillusioned by his name rather than his stats.

You should pay attention to his game hot the tag on his jersey,  

24 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I guess? lol

Well since we are guessing... I guess you don't know why we have a farm team. Maybe he should spend some time down on the farm.  This is not a learn as you go team. Well apparently so far it is...but it shouldn't be. 

Yes I will keep striving for a winning team rather than a mediocre core.  thanks :)

Right on man sounds good 

49 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I wouldn't say full...but if you want to say 2nd full season...well he should be well on his way to being a stable core but his numbers say otherwise. You seem disillusioned by his name rather than his stats.

You should pay attention to his game hot the tag on his jersey,  

Considering I watched every game that I could this year I think I would have an idea. 

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Interesting how his defensive play overall improved significantly since this was posted. +/- is a garbage stat to evaluate players always has been always will be. 

Yes, going from Minus -13 when this post began to Minus -24 at seasons end is certainly a significant improvement ?

image.jpeg.9336b5567fe867790fb303e083f46da1.jpeg

BTW, could you do my income taxes for me next year?

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, going from Minus -13 when this post began to Minus -24 at seasons end is certainly a significant improvement ?

BTW, could you do my income taxes for me next year?

So what if that change in +/- was all either him getting on or off the ice as a goal is being scored?

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

So what if that change in +/- was all either him getting on or off the ice as a goal is being scored?

I see your point of view but than could go either way.  I also understand your point of view of not evaluating a D based on +/_ but that is not the intent of this post.   It's to simply highlight the fact that as much as he has 40 points, he also had 24 of them negated by bad defensive work and everyone know's he's likely the biggest defensive liability on the team (offensive output not included) as this stat proves that and is fact not fiction.   

Hopefully he can strengthen his Defensive skills and we'll see this number drop dramatically so his points count for something in the end.  I'd for one would certainly want to see that.  He has a lot of potential but man, he can make some horrible mistakes and gets caught up ice and beat for the puck on a regular basis.  I'm hopeful he gets this overcome.

Sometimes I wonder if he'd be better off playing wing, but his exit out of the defensive zone is very strong and would be a shame to waste if he was stuck up front.

Edited by RU SERIOUS