The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#43 Q. Hughes now Officially The Worst +/- Defenseman & Player in the entire league.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is playing on Buffalo though. A team worse than the pre-McDavid/Draisaitl Oilers. 

If they can start to ruin Eichel they could ruin just about anybody. 

Their fans have my pity. I can’t even muster the desire today make fun of them anymore. 

That’s the point. It’s a team stat for the most part. Who plays the most minutes on the Canucks. Quinn Hughes.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To a point yeah. 

Being 5’10’’ limits you’re capability defensively. On the flip side being that small and shifty helps significantly offensively. 

Spurgeon, Girard come to mind. Both pretty good in their own end 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To a point yeah. 

Being 5’10’’ limits you’re capability defensively. On the flip side being that small and shifty helps significantly offensively. 

Against forwards who have 6-8 inches of height and 40 lbs of weight, most definitely. Hughes will learn techniques to make the most of his game in his own end. Those techniques though won't be coming from the brain of Baumgartner. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Imo he looked better defensively last year. Was it a injury or something inhibit his skating? He got inside the bigger guys last year and used his speed more. And scooped the puck away. However I'm glad that this is a shortened season for him to learn 

He should double check his fuel tank for long shifts.

17 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Spurgeon, Girard come to mind. Both pretty good in their own end 

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Against forwards who have 6-8 inches of height and 40 lbs of weight, most definitely. Hughes will learn techniques to make the most of his game in his own end. Those techniques though won't be coming from the brain of Baumgartner. 

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Krug comes to mind too.

You can be good but are limited to how good and how they can be utilized.  

The only defenseman who can be good at everything and play in every role are bigger guys who can skate really well, are super smart and skilled. 

Finding that sort of Dman is a rarity because even if they skate and have size doesn’t mean they’re skilled or physical and what not. 

Simply put not everyone is the perfect player. 

Smaller defenseman are always gonna struggle with bigger guys who can skate and know how to protect the puck. Smaller D aren’t nearly as good as bigger D physically and on the PK. 

The guys you mentioned either are utilized more as an offensive defenseman and/or play with a guy known for his D-play(Suter). 

Like I am not expecting Hughes to be a PKer. Our best PKer statistically is Myers and that’s mostly cause he covers so much ice with his size and skating. 

Like I said though there’s pros to Hughes’s size/skating too which is that he’s a tough guy to check with the puck. A guy like Myers or Hamilton won’t have that advantage since there’s a lot more to check and it’s a lot harder to protect the puck in tight/on the blue line being bigger. 

• Vintage 2

49 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s the point. It’s a team stat for the most part. Who plays the most minutes on the Canucks. Quinn Hughes.

Dahlin has a ton of promise. IMO he has the most potential in the NHL. 

Potential is just that though, potential. He’s also on the one team that can prohibit him from reaching it. 

Hughes has struggled defensively but he’s in an environment that’s good enough to help grow out of these issues and reach whatever defensive ceiling he has. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Imo he looked better defensively last year. Was it a injury or something inhibit his skating? He got inside the bigger guys last year and used his speed more. And scooped the puck away. However I'm glad that this is a shortened season for him to learn 

He should double check his fuel tank for long shifts.

Honestly happens to a lot of young players during a sophomore or third year in the league. Should see improvements over the next couple years.

I thought he was better defensively last year as well. Problem this year is the team started off so poorly, feel like Hamonic has helped him since he came back though. Kinda like Junkyard mentioned chemistry with his partner is important 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I've mentioned this before but I really think that until Quinn is able to put on some muscle, he will continue to struggle containing larger players barreling down on him. B)

This is quite true, but I don’t know if I want him bulked up to the point that he loses any elusiveness. For me, he has never presented as a true #1 anyway. Generally Q is fine as he is. The challenge now is to find someone to balance what he does best,  has the requisite physical attributes and skill to play TOP pair minutes, effectively sheltering/supporting the Uber talented but slight Q.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:38 PM, dpn1 said:

I've mentioned this before but I really think that until Quinn is able to put on some muscle, he will continue to struggle containing larger players barreling down on him. B)

I agree.  Besides all the 2 on 1's he's allowed due to going way too deep on numerous occasions, the other problem accounting for his league worst +/- is caused exactly as you and many other describe - that he has trouble containing bigger players that just brush him off because he's so small.   Hopefully they have him go on a McD diet over the summer so he can put some meat on his bones.  If that doesn't work they'll have to use extreme measures such as have him abandon McD diet and go all out on the White Spot Triple O diet.  That will definitely thicken him and his heart up.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

Honestly, this topic is stupid.  I'm not the biggest QH fan, but I do think he's an exciting offensive player who's still figuring out what he can and cannot get away with, when to take a risk and when to play it safe, but hand wringing because his +/- sucks in his second year in the league is just plain stupid. 

We all know that it takes longer to develop a well-rounded NHL Defenseman than it does any other position.  NHL defensemen don't usually reach their peak until their late 20's.  It takes longer for offensive minded defenders to absorb the defensive side of the game at this level, and become a 200 foot threat.  The more limited stay-at-home guys are one-dimensional and as such, only get to the NHL if they can defend. 

The trope about his size is also silly.  Yes, QH is small for the league and especially for his position, but guess what, other small players have found success in the league and playing D.  QH is likely not yet fully grown height-wise and certainly not girth wise.  He won't have a fully mature man's body until he hits his mid-20s, so he can obviously put on another ten to twenty pounds with the proper diet and weight regimen.  Will he be able to push a lug like Perry out of the crease?  No, but then not many defensemen have had a lot of luck doing that during his career.  As I watch today's game, there is a lot less of defensemen pushing (interference) guys out of the crease and a lot more positional play, and stick checking going on in front of the net.  The key is going to be who the RHD is playing with QH, as they will have to work as a unit to overcome each other's limitations.  In today's less physical NHL, QH is just fine size wise.  I do fear for his durability over the course of a long season and playoff run and career longevity due to that lack of size.  I notice that big teams like Montreal have decided the way to counter him is to get in his face and hit him at every turn, the Canucks need a player who is willing to rattle the cages of the stars on the other team as a way to lower the temperature on Quinn.  But I have also noticed the QH has learned from this extra attention and moves the puck quicker against teams who have decided to make him their focus.   

Is QH the next Bobby Orr?  No, I don't think he'll ever be a great defender, and will always be somewhat limited by his lack size, but he WILL be better defensively than he is now, and eventually he will be an excellent +/- player.  For you hand-wringers, I point to Bo Horvat as an example.  You all recall all the gnashing of teeth on this board when Bo, in his second full season as a professional, was -30?  He's turned out to be our best counter-center, a second-line center who can match up in a shutdown role against the best offensive centers in the league and yet still produce offense of his own.

Give the kid a chance to develop before you decide that he's some sort of failure.  Jake on the other hand...  

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Is QH the next Bobby Orr?  No, I don't think he'll ever be a great defender, and will always be somewhat limited by his lack size, but he WILL be better defensively than he is now, and eventually he will be an excellent +/- player.  For you hand-wringers, I point to Bo Horvat as an example.  You all recall all the gnashing of teeth on this board when Bo, in his second full season as a professional, was -30?  He's turned out to be our best counter-center, a second-line center who can match up in a shutdown role against the best offensive centers in the league and yet still produce offense of his own.

Give the kid a chance to develop before you decide that he's some sort of failure.  Jake on the other hand...  

Lazy Jake is "a Goner".     I predict he'll be gone within the very near future likely buried somewhere down in the far Southeast Unites States where no one will notice him and he can do no further harm.  Hopefully JB gets something reasonable in return for him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2021 at 4:44 AM, dpn1 said:

I think he could stand to gain some muscle, right? B)

66e6x91njaz51.jpg

He's just a boy, and off to the 6th best ever offensive start to ANY career in the history of the league. Besides Sergei Zubov, it's by far the best start since the leaky 80's!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Lazy Jake is "a Goner".     I predict he'll be gone within the very near future likely buried somewhere down in the far Southeast Unites States where no one will notice him and he can do no further harm.  Hopefully JB gets something reasonable in return for him.

Those rumors of him for DeBrusk would be a dream trade. I expect a 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 4:44 AM, dpn1 said:

I think he could stand to gain some muscle, right? B)

66e6x91njaz51.jpg

That does not look like a professional athlete's body.  That doesn't even resemble the bodies of most college males I've known.  Fortunately the Canucks have a great player development program and terrific fitness coaches.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

He's just a boy, and off to the 6th best ever offensive start to ANY career in the history of the league. Besides Sergei Zubov, it's by far the best start since the leaky 80's!

He's also been much better since around game 19. I would be more worried as a Sabre fan TBH. I've watched a ton of their games and RD looks completely lost out there. People blame the team but at what point are the players held accountable. Jack, Sam, Dahlin, Risto, Hall, Couzins,should be on par with our young core but instead they are getting worse. Can't be just coaching since they are on what #3 in the last 4 years? 

Watching Dahlin his game has gotten worse on both ends of the ice. He makes A LOT of really dumb plays and treats the puck like a grenade in both ends.

The 3rd period of the game they blew a 3 goal lead he made 2 just God awful plays in his end and in OT he just gave the puck away to lead to the winner.

If Quinn had games like that their would be a new thread every day on HF.

Dahlin gets so many excuses made because of his size and pedigree when in reality, he should be held to a higher standard than a guy like Quinn who wasn't the most hyped D prospect since Hedman and despite some struggles, is still one of the most productive D the last 2 years. 

Edited by Alienhuggyflow

On 2/11/2021 at 10:35 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

A sad stat , but with no one (Tanev) left to cover Quinn's A$$ when he's out of position when he's caught up ice or bumbling the puck, he's now fallen to the very worst and last +/- position in the entire National Hockey league at Minus -13 (Tied with Guess who....Gudbranson) with ALL 252 defenseman  and ALL 743 other players in the entire league with a better +/- than him.     

Does JB or TG share any blame for this very sad situation????

Can't blame him when millers on your line along with the mentor-ship of Edler lol