The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Burrows named assistant coach of Montreal Canadians

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

22 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The bigger story is the firing of the head coach. How do you not get that? If it was Green being fired you wouldn’t need someone to spell it out for you 

Give it a rest.  No one here is required to share your 'priorities'.  As you're well aware, this is Canuck.com and Burrows is legendary here.  No need to pine on endlessly as if everyone is missing 'the point'.   If you want to be surrounded by people that focus on Clod/Ducharme, I imagine there are Habs discussion boards.

I'm glad the Habs did this.

I disagree with the idea that Clod took a mediocre group further than they should have gone last year  - I thought they generally underachieved under Julien - and the additions that were made in the offseason imo position the Habs very well in the short run.  They should do everything they can to maximize their chances while Weber, Price, Petry etc are still performing exceptionally well.  If they feel Ducharme is the better coach, or more likely to get more out of the group than Clod, kudos to the Habs for making the move.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I think Montreal’s expectations are unrealistic.  They are very young at the Center ice position and probably between them and Calgary have the 5/6 best centres in the division.  Unless Price is rocking. 930 percentage and stealing games they were always a bubble playoff team despite what the pundits were suggesting preseason.

I don't agree regarding the expectations.  I do agree that they are young at center - but Danault is a solid two way center, and Evans may be young but he's proving to be a good young defensive center as well (and both are solid faceoff guys).

And both of their young centers have very solid 'possession' numbers - so either they are better than we might anticipate at this point, or their supporting cast is solid/'foundational' enough to provide them very good conditions to be successful (or, more likely, a combination of both).

That is the only position they are young - and to compensate - they have one of the best, biggest, meanest, talented top 4 D in the NHL (if not the best) - and have solid depth throughout their lineup. 

They can always add a good veteran center down the stretch if they're positioned to do so.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Burrows will learn early on that dealing with pro athletes that are being paid alot of $, is not easier to manage than someone in the minors.  Perhaps his natural tenacity and charisma will lessen his developmental curve.

burrows probs chirping perry.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:07 AM, D-Money said:

Burr didn’t just work hard, he worked smart. He worked so well with the Sedins because he was able to figure out what they were doing and adapt while so many others couldn’t. I seem to remember AV saying he was the smartest (hockeywise) player on the team.

Doesn’t surprise me at all that he’s having success as a coach. Hockey IQ, hard work, non-stop talker, and had great relationships with his teammates.

Without a doubt, everything that @D-Money mentioned above is something us Canucks fans were able to root for, experience, and enjoy for so many years. 

Here is our Dutch Gretzky chiming in on Burr's promotion and further solidifying the brotherhood he shared with so many:

Not to mention, his outreach and willingness to do numerous events and talks off the ice too. One recent occasion was the Alumni Virtual Hot Stove in December as Frick and Frack, along with Juice and Murph took to an informal podcast of sorts! 

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:10 AM, x00x said:

rumors have it, gerrad gallant might be the next montreal coach, but again just rumors

Source?  From everything I’ve read it’s Ducharme’s job to lose.  Also, Gallant isn’t French/doesn’t speak French.  As silly as it is , that pretty much eliminates him from consideration 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Source?  From everything I’ve read it’s Ducharme’s job to lose.  Also, Gallant isn’t French/doesn’t speak French.  As silly as it is , that pretty much eliminates him from consideration 

Why is it silly..?

The montreal market is primarily French speaking... so they want a coach to do media events in French...Needs to be bi-lingual....    Would you like a Canucks coach that speaks French....  and not any English.....

Makes sense to me that the habs need a coach that speaks some French. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why is it silly..?

The montreal market is primarily French speaking... so they want a coach to do media events in French...Needs to be bi-lingual....    Would you like a Canucks coach that speaks French....  and not any English.....

Makes sense to me that the habs need a coach that speaks some French. 

They should be more concerned with hiring the best person for the job with an eye on winning.  Limiting yourself to a much smaller hiring pool based on something that has nothing to do with the on ice product is ridiculous. The media stuff should be secondary and can be addressed in other ways 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They should be more concerned with hiring the best person for the job with an eye on winning.  Limiting yourself to a much smaller hiring pool based on something that has nothing to do with the on ice product is ridiculous. The media stuff should be secondary and can be addressed in other ways 

Pretty sure every NHL coach needs to address the local media.....  fans demand it. 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure every NHL coach needs to address the local media.....  fans demand it. 

Get a translator for media briefings. Done. Fans should care more about a winning product than a coach who doesn’t need a translator 

23 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Get a translator for media briefings. Done. Fans should care more about a winning product than a coach who doesn’t need a translator 

Quebec is a French Speaking province.  Anyone that wants to work in Quebec in a high profile position....   needs to be able to speak somewhat  in French.

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Quebec is a French Speaking province.  Anyone that wants to work in Quebec in a high profile position....   needs to be able to speak somewhat  in French.

I disagree.  The on ice product should be the primary concern. 

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I disagree.  The on ice product should be the primary concern. 

Have you ever spent time or lived in the Quebec ? Just curious.

The Montreal Canadiens head coach must speak both English and French.

Montreal has the second-most native French speakers in the world. The major city in the province of Quebec is the center of French-Canadian culture.

The city needs media available in both French and English, and therefore the Canadiens deal with media in both languages. If the head coach cannot speak both languages, then he cannot effectively communicate with the media. His connection to the entire fanbase would then be impaired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1237613-montreal-canadiens-6-qualities-an-ideal-habs-coach-must-possess#:~:text=The major city in the,effectively communicate with the media.

Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Have you ever spent time or lived in the Quebec ? Just curious.

No.  It’s not pertinent to the argument though.  I’m not discounting the social importance of having francophones in key positions. But it doesn’t need to be every position.  Montreal is a storied franchise and the league is better when they’re relevant.  Having the best possible coaching candidate possible should be the goal.  Be it a Francophone or an Anglo with with a translator the bottom line should be having the best team on the ice. I understand it’s an issue. I’m saying it shouldn’t be. I bet a large majority of Francophone fans would happily accept an Anglo coach if it led to a Cup 

Just now, qwijibo said:

No.  It’s not pertinent to the argument though.  I’m not discounting the social importance of having francophones in key positions. But it doesn’t need to be every position.  Montreal is a storied franchise and the league is better when they’re relevant.  Having the best possible coaching candidate possible should be the goal.  Be it a Francophone or an Anglo with with a translator the bottom line should be having the best team on the ice. I understand it’s an issue. I’m saying it shouldn’t be. I bet a large majority of Francophone fans would happily accept an Anglo coach if it led to a Cup 

Quebec is a very unique province.  Language is a primary / fundamental  concern to its citizens.  

The Montreal Canadiens head coach must speak both English and French.

Montreal has the second-most native French speakers in the world. The major city in the province of Quebec is the center of French-Canadian culture.

The city needs media available in both French and English, and therefore the Canadiens deal with media in both languages. If the head coach cannot speak both languages, then he cannot effectively communicate with the media. His connection to the entire fanbase would then be impaired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1237613-montreal-canadiens-6-qualities-an-ideal-habs-coach-must-possess#:~:text=The major city in the,effectively communicate with the media.