The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I like Tierney as a player but we already have too many players like him. Decent player, not the type we are looking for though. 

I think you undervalue Tierney. He’s having an off year but he’s a solid player who can play both ends of the ice and wins faceoffs. 

I think he’d fit in really well in a 3rd line role with the young forwards we have in the system. PK and 2nd unit PP. Alleviate some defensive responsibility on Bo’s line maybe. 

Adam Lowry would be another great target for 3rd C if he falls to FA. Part of the reason I’d like to sell UFAs(we aren’t re-signing) now and use those assets to move out cap is because moving a guy like Roussel would likely net us the cap for Lowry. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Personally I feel you need to take advantage of these sort of situations. If we lose when we’re in this sort circumstance it plays a part of the reason why we lost, especially if the opposition is rested going in. 

Not the only reason but a significant one. 

Perhaps I emphasize taking advantage of situations like this more so than you and that’s where we have our differences in opinion. I kind of view it in the same way like if we/they lost a Dman early. 

I also try to take a day at a time approach so that could be why you’re not seeing me going both ways here even though I do view it that way. If it goes one way it likely applies both ways when I state something like this. 

Hopefully that makes my viewpoint a little more precise to understand. 

We DID take advantage of the situation....we won the game.  

People seem to want pretty games but I feel like the ones where we grind it out are equally important.  They don't come easily, you have to fight for them.  We've had some of that lately and I'm encouraged by it.

They wore down and we kept at it.  We got a very greasy goal that was pure determination.  They were fearlessly blocking shots.  

If you're going to go back in time to Edmonton's schedule "this week" then you should also go back to what our schedule has been like this year.  That's my point.

I just don't care "why" Draisaitl lost...I only care that he did.  Anyhow...cheers.  I am happy to take the wins and see if they can "settle in" and build something from them.  Yes, something more convincing but confidence and momentum often can really help in that.  Guys were squeezing their sticks, second guessing things, etc.  They're now having time to practice and try to get more familiar with the additions to the team, as well as learn to work around the vacancies that were left.

I'm not opposed to changes....but they can be disruptive and take time to adjust to (as we've seen).  It can be a dog chasing its tail deal.   Let the dust settle on what has been one of the strangest periods over the last year then decide what needs to be done.   

Anyhow, I'd rather celebrate the win with silly fun than argue that we didn't win it good enough.  That sort of sucks the fun out of it for me.   Draisaitl fans can worry about his state because I just don't care enough.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think you undervalue Tierney. He’s having an off year but he’s a solid player who can play both ends of the ice and wins faceoffs. 

I think he’d fit in really well in a 3rd line role with the young forwards we have in the system. PK and 2nd unit PP. Alleviate some defensive responsibility on Bo’s line maybe. 

Adam Lowry would be another great target for 3rd C if he falls to FA. Part of the reason I’d like to sell UFAs(we aren’t re-signing) now and use those assets to move out cap is because moving a guy like Roussel would likely net us the cap for Lowry. 

Tierney is fine we just have too many players like him. Lowry would be one of my targets or even Trevor Lewis. Need more players that use their size. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

We won the game.  That's called "taking advantage of" the situation though (for me anyhow).

People seem to want pretty games but I feel like the ones where we grind it out are equally important.  They don't come easily, you have to fight for them.  We've had some of that lately and I'm encouraged by it.

They wore down and we kept at it.  We got a very greasy goal that was pure determination.

If you're going to go back in time to Edmonton's schedule "this week" then you should also go back to what our schedule has been like this year.  That's my point.

I just don't care "why" Draisaitl lost...I only care that he did.  Anyhow...cheers.  I am happy to take the wins and see if they can "settle in" and build something from them.  Yes, something more convincing but confidence and momentum often can really help in that.  Guys were squeezing their sticks, second guessing things, etc.  They're now having time to practice and try to get more familiar with the additions to the team, as well as learn to work around the vacancies that were left.

That’s why I pointed out in the last paragraph that if I say it one way it goes both ways. I elaborated that for you.

I’d like the see this team take that next step and be dominant. That’s why I don’t try to flame but point out where I can see improvements. I might be blunt in my opinions but I don’t like to senselessly flame. 

Admittedly I can react emotionally at times which would garner an emotional response which you could probably find one earlier in the year when we were losing horribly. I love this team I don’t like losing to most of the Canadian teams especially. I feel that this is atypical of most fans here though some more than others. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

Only thing I have against JB is the terrible job he’s done managing this club. 
7 seasons of cap out crap team that If the goaltender doesn’t win it we lose. 
but hey if you want to buy his sad sap excuses and piss poor sales pitch of false hope that cool.

maybe take some time and re read his quotes from 5-7 years ago. It’s laughable.
if he was managing any other team the same people pumping his tires would be laughing at what a miserable failure he is. 
But atleast he thinks we’ll be good in 2 years. But only if he isn’t here. 

Imo, JB is just a part of the equation: there is the coaching staff, who is in charge of the structure & deployment the team plays in; the ownership, who JB has to be answerable too; and the one part missing is a team president that JB can work with in dealing with the owners & fans.  I made the comment cause you only seem to be focus on all the (past) mistakes and non on what he has actually done great at - drafting our core.  Sure and I agree his free agent signing had not aged very well and he was very generous with term - with hindsight he deserves alot of criticism for his cap mismanagements but the initial reasoning made alot of sense from a succession point of view.

Imo, the team is trending to be a cup contender or at the very least a very competitive team   With the cap - parity is affecting the league and the compete windows of teams are very much dependent on how well a team drafts but JB needs to improve cap management.  I would further argue, that he should just focus on drafting & development and only sign vets to 1 or (at most) a three year contract as vet fillers or hire x players instead as coaches/mentors to mentor the young players.   Imo, on ice mentoring is not really neccessary in today's  NHL cause the game has become so managed & analyzed to the point that the young players are all already pro ready coming and it mostly just comes down to a prospects' ability to adapt & thrive at the NHL level.

*Edited with new additions

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tierney is fine we just have too many players like him. Lowry would be one of my targets or even Trevor Lewis. Need more players that use their size. 

I don’t think we have anybody like Tierney personally. 

Hes capable of being a 40-50 point two-way player who can play in all roles on a better team than the Sens. IMO he’s at a Kadri level(borderline 2nd/really good 3rd C). 

I sense that’s where we differ though, in our judgements of him. My olive branch is that I would prefer Lowry over him. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Mr Sunshine sees what he wants to see.

The team climbed back to even in shots with the Coil - until the last few minutes, powerplay assisted and with an empty net....

But he saw it as an otherwise 'blowout' lol.

He was raving about the 4th line generating scoring chances in the absence of Beagle (hates Beagle)....

But Gaudette didn't have a single shot attempt all game, nor did Mac - and LE had only one.

No one could accuse this guy of letting the facts/reality get in the way of a story, though.

Good context - perhaps a local media posser (?).  Too bad but it is his point of view..

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They don't come easily, you have to fight for them.  We've had some of that lately and I'm encouraged by it.

Agreed. The way they came out in the 3rd and pushed hard shows they were hungry for the win, which is a very encouraging sign. A step in the right direction.  Earlier in the season they would have sat back trying to protect the 1-1 tie while hoping EDM would make a mistake they could capitalize on.  Their willingness to take risks last night demonstrates they're gaining confidence and trending in the right direction.  

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed for sure. One of the things I want to see too is OJ get some more time, I don't see why he was taken out other than a coach just choosing a veteran he knows better. I've seen folks say the 'its not a development league" thing but it actually is now to some degree with the tight cap, you need ELCs on the ice and they have to develop quickly. 

I guess the one saving thing here is Demko is turning into a solid starter so he doesn't seem phased by the outside shot count. 

I'm thinking that, one of the reasons OJ is not playing (besides the solid play of Hamonic and Benn) is the Expansion Draft issue.  Mind you, I like how OJ has progressed and I think he will be a regular next year.  If OJ played more than half the season, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't he have to be listed as one of our three protected D in the Kraken Expansion Draft (i.e. we wouldn't leave him unprotected)?   Here are the Vegas Expansion Draft rules which, from what I've heard, will be the template for the Kraken ED:

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076 

It would be ridiculous to not protect a young defenceman like OJ who looks like he'll have a promising career.

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Sorry i don't follow understand "just like JM with Demko" who is JM and when did he move on from Demko?

Ben, Edler, Hamonic are all UFAs that play hard minutes every game, PK, line matching, etc. Those are hard minutes to replace with rookies IMHO

Who in our DMen prospects can bring what they do now? (NOT Using 1 game against the habs or last years playoffs as an example) and have  the trust of the coachig staff?

OJ, Chatfield,  Rathbone, Rafterty, Brisboise, Sautner?

Pick any 3 and ask the coaching staff if they want them in the line-up versus Edler, Ben, Hamonic?

My only point (hopefully) this clarifies it cause this is not the first time you had responded in this manner of word play - most of those veteran players had had there time here and since the team is struggling this season, it is perhaps time to see what the we have with these prospects by giving them some real experience playing in the NHL.

If the team is competing for a playoff spot then I agree - play the vets and the prospect developement can wait till next season (depending on who stays) but this season is a wash (imo), so why not prep these players for next season by playing them hard minutes but Green does not have a contract for next season and is not interested in next year.. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

My only point (hopefully) this clarifies it cause this is not the first time you had responded in this manner of word play - most of those veteran players had had there time here and since the team is struggling this season, it is perhaps time to see what the we have with these prospects by giving them some real experience playing in the NHL.  Ofcourse, with Green being a lame duck coach, he will obviously play the best lineup (mostly consisted of vets) that will give him the best chance to win for this season.  

Fair enough 

But who is JM?

4 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I'm thinking that, one of the reasons OJ is not playing (besides the solid play of Hamonic and Benn) is the Expansion Draft issue.  Mind you, I like how OJ has progressed and I think he will be a regular next year.  If OJ played more than half the season, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't he have to be listed as one of our three protected D in the Kraken Expansion Draft (i.e. we wouldn't leave him unprotected)?   Here are the Vegas Expansion Draft rules which, from what I've heard, will be the template for the Kraken ED:

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-draft-full-rules/c-289403076 

It would be ridiculous to not protect a young defenceman like OJ who looks like he'll have a promising career.

OJ not playing is the #1 decision I can’t agree with. A promising young guy that was starting to come into his own and playing quite well should not be sitting in limbo on the taxi squad. He hasn’t played much in the last two years in Utica because of injury and this can’t be helping his development. He needs to at least get some games. Not saying that Benn isn’t playing well but he doesn’t figure in long term here.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

OJ not playing is the #1 decision I can’t agree with. A promising young guy that was starting to come into his own and playing quite well should not be sitting in limbo on the taxi squad. He hasn’t played much in the last two years in Utica because of injury and this can’t be helping his development. He needs to at least get some games. Not saying that Benn isn’t playing well but he doesn’t figure in long term here.

Yeah, Benn hopefully is being showcased to be traded and should walk after this season.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, Benn hopefully is being showcased to be traded and should walk after this season.

Hopefully  true. Olli played 18 and 45 the last two years because of injuries so it couldn’t be helped. This year looks to be another year of stunted development at this rate. That’s on the Canucks this time.