The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Leo Komarov

2 hours ago, Provost said:

He moved to Finland as a kid.  He from Estonia which was in the Soviet Union.

He speaks Russian, Finnish, Swedish, and English.

Not a Russian tho. 

I’m all for having somebody around, somewhere on the payroll, to help Podz and maybe Tryamkin get settled in Vancouver. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lol, I don't think the age difference is enough to make Roussel attractive. He's playing like he won't get another contract in the NHL, it's not like he's a developing player. Komarov has played wing lots in his career, moving him for someone who can't play center very well just gives them a less versatile player. I don't see why the NYI would care more about the age comparison than the Canucks, they're first in their division, if either team wants to go on a deep playoff run it's more realistic that NYI would, and Komarov is the better player of the two.

He is still clearly deadweight on their roster. 1st doesn't matter if he's not really doing much.This is something you haven't addressed. Roussel has more points (albeit marginally) while playing almost the exact minutes as Komarov. 

I agree that Roussel might not be the best option, but I highly doubt a team will send a cheaper player in exchange for a 3M player (this applies to Roussel too). Hence, this trade may possibly make sense. The only other problem is the quarantine. The Canucks won't get him for two weeks.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not a Russian tho. 

I’m all for having somebody around, somewhere on the payroll, to help Podz and maybe Tryamkin get settled in Vancouver. 

Yes a Russian.  

A big chunk of the Estonian population are Russians... including Komarov’s parents.

Komarov holds dual Russian-Finnish passports.

You know that you can actually Google stuff before disagreeing with people on things you don’t know?

This is probably the reason your team is terrible, as one of its top players you don’t pay much attention to detail.

• RoughGame 1

On 3/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, Dazzle said:

He is a center. Decent faceoff numbers, but nothing eye popping.

Not really.

Yet another player that is misrepresented on most sites - which tend to stick with a player's 'natural' position upon entering the league - and tend to never amend them.

1000 draws in the NHL over an 8 year period (ie 2ish per game) - is a winger - who steps in on wave outs, and/or injury replacement.

14 draws in 16 games this season - won 3 of them (21.4%).

You can also look at a players' linemates (and frequency) on Dobberhockey - all of Komarov's minutes come on the wing of an actual center - Pageau, Barzal, Cizikas, Nelson - ie the guys that have taken nearly 1500 draws.

In any event, there's no point acquiring more veteran wingers with the kinds of term he has - even if capable of stepping in in a pinch.

No team is going anywhere with 3 - or 4 - actual centers out of their lineup and the kind of patchwork situation the team is in.

Put a fork in it at this point.    Gaudette and Graovac are our 2nd and 3rd centers - and a winger/'natural center' like Motte or Boyd fill out the lineup.

And true to Canuck luck - two expiring contracts / the team's most marketable rentals (aside from the NMCs) - wind up on IR heading into the deadline. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes a Russian.  

A big chunk of the Estonian population are Russians... including Komarov’s parents.

Komarov holds dual Russian-Finnish passports.

You know that you can actually Google stuff before disagreeing with people on things you don’t know?

This is probably the reason your team is terrible, as one of its top players you don’t pay much attention to detail.

Who’s he play for internationally? Which is what I was basing my comment on. How’s he gonna help the Russians acclimate if he’s not Russian?? He can speak the language and that’s it. Culturally, I’d be about as much use. We can hire somebody who doesn’t count against the salary cap for that. I suspect it was you that turned to Wikipedia for this. 

Also, I hate the Flames. You’re an insufferable twit to deal with on here. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Who’s he play for internationally? Which is what I was basing my comment on. How’s he gonna help the Russians acclimate if he’s not Russian?? He can speak the language and that’s it. Culturally, I’d be about as much use. We can hire somebody who doesn’t count against the salary cap for that. I suspect it was you that turned to Wikipedia for this. 

I agree with your general sentiment. It's difficult to label someone because people travel all over the place, and thus, have different identities. Brett Hull, for example, represented the US, even though he's born in Canada. Alex Galchenyuk represents the US, even though he's, for all intents and purposes, "Russian". Furthermore, Komarov was born in Estonia. Some sites list it as "USSR", which doesn't exist anymore. So he's Estonian then, if you were to take it solely from a national perspective, who can speak Russian, among several other languages.

It's definitely problematic to label someone as "Russian" just because he's from USSR, or that he speaks that language.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Not really.

Yet another player that is misrepresented on most sites - which tend to stick with a player's 'natural' position upon entering the league - and tend to never amend them.

1000 draws in the NHL over an 8 year period (ie 2ish per game) - is a winger - who steps in on wave outs, and/or injury replacement.

14 draws in 16 games this season - won 3 of them (21.4%).

You can also look at a players' linemates (and frequency) on Dobberhockey - all of Komarov's minutes come on the wing of an actual center - Pageau, Barzal, Cizikas, Nelson - ie the guys that have taken nearly 1500 draws.

In any event, there's no point acquiring more veteran wingers with the kinds of term he has - even if capable of stepping in in a pinch.

No team is going anywhere with 3 - or 4 - actual centers out of their lineup and the kind of patchwork situation the team is in.

Put a fork in it at this point.    Gaudette and Graovac are our 2nd and 3rd centers - and a winger/'natural center' like Motte or Boyd fill out the lineup.

And true to Canuck luck - two expiring contracts / the team's most marketable rentals (aside from the NMCs) - wind up on IR heading into the deadline. 

Yes, I should say that he is a center* (* = as listed by many websites). He CAN take faceoffs, but he's not superior at it compared to other players. What struck me is how good Virtanen is with faceoffs (albeit on a VERY limited sample). You're right that he's been used as a winger, in other words.

The Canucks have to be sellers - and they should not have put players like Pearson at risk. I feel like this one is on Green. Rather than playing younger players and developing them, he definitely loaded up a team full of vets, some of whom we could have used as trade bait for the trade deadline. I know part of what I'm saying is hindsight reliant because I, for one, would LOVE to see the Canucks enter the playoffs. That being said, keeping Juolevi out of the lineup is wasting his development time.

I may be overselling this idea, but I feel like Virtanen has been misused/mishandled from the very beginning. This is not to excuse him for his own responsibility, but we have two coaches that really haven't done much in the grand scheme of things, outside of two playoff runs (one each for WD/TG). I just don't see any justification for keeping Green and his assistants. If Benning wants to extend Green, without doing due diligence on what's available, he should go as well.

Edited by Dazzle

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes, I should say that he is a center* (* = as listed by many websites). He CAN take faceoffs, but he's not superior at it compared to other players. What struck me is how good Virtanen is with faceoffs (albeit on a VERY limited sample).

I always liked Komarov - he was a very good player back in his Leafs days - as was Bozak - exactly the kind of players the more present day Leafs have needed in their bottom six (but not being league minimum replacements - or hometown returnees at discounts - naturally don't fit in a "proper" build.

Ironically - if the gaggle around here that thinks a bottom six should be full of league minimum contracts were to look at the actual bottom six of Stanley Cup Champions - they don't tend to be built that way.  St Louis had a whole lot of cap in their bottom six when they won - as did Tampa.

The Islanders - a pretty good team as well - Pageau (5 million), Clutterbuck (3.5), Cizikas 3.35), Komarov (3), Martin (1.5 x 4) - and Ladd (5.5 million on their taxi squad).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

So you started arguing with me about something you were wrong about and I am the insufferable twit?

He would certainly help Tryamkin and Podkolzin just like I said.

His parents were Russian, he is a Russian, he holds a Russian passport, he speaks and in his words “dreams” in Russian, he has a Russian name, he spent years playing in the KHL.... but according to you, you would be as much use culturally?  That is pure nonsense.  He was born in Estonia (part of the Soviet Union at the time) but doesn’t speak Estonian or have an Estonian passport, and was raised for many years in Finland because his dad got a job there and had some Finnish ancestry (when he speaks with his Dad he speaks in Russian).  Also being Finnish doesn’t make him “not Russian” and not able to help out the new players from Russia like you are suggesting.  I hold dual passports and both places are home.

Here is an extra little fun piece for you.  You might recognize the player translating an interview to/from Russian for a young Russian player new to the NHL.

hmmm.... he seems to be helping that Russian kid, very much like I suggested he could do for our couple of Russian kids and you are vociferously denying.... but hey, don’t let facts get in the way of your ranting.

Edited by Provost
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

So you started arguing with me about something you were wrong about and I am the insufferable twit?

He would certainly help Tryamkin and Podkolzin just like I said.

His parents were Russian, he is a Russian, he holds a Russian passport, he speaks and in his words “dreams” in Russian, he has a Russian name, he spent years playing in the KHL.... but according to you, you would be as much use culturally?  That is pure nonsense.  He was born in Estonia (part of the Soviet Union at the time) but doesn’t speak Estonian or have an Estonian passport, and was raised for many years in Finland because his dad got a job there and had some Finnish ancestry (when he speaks with his Dad he speaks in Russian).  Also being Finnish doesn’t make him “not Russian” and not able to help out the new players from Russia like you are suggesting.  I hold dual passports and both places are home.

Here is an extra little fun piece for you.  You might recognize the player translating an interview to/from Russian for a young Russian player new to the NHL.

hmmm.... he seems to be helping that Russian kid, very much like I suggested he could do for our couple of Russian kids and you are vociferously denying.... but hey, don’t let facts get in the way of your ranting.

So is he Russian or not? By your logic, Jake’s also Finnish. Perhaps we should keep Jake around just to help Jurmo ease into the league too. 

His name doesn’t mean a dam thing. I have an incredibly Irish name and am almost full Irish ancestry. I’ve got relatives who immigrated here and carry a heavy accent. I don’t know a single dam thing about actually living in Ireland. This is my entire point. 

Like I said, we can get somebody who doesn’t carry a dead $3 million on the cap to act as a translator. That’s literally the only thing he’d be useful to them for. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

So is he Russian or not? By your logic, Jake’s also Finnish. Perhaps we should keep Jake around just to help Jurmo ease into the league too. 

His name doesn’t mean a dam thing. I have an incredibly Irish name and am almost full Irish ancestry. I’ve got relatives who immigrated here and carry a heavy accent. I don’t know a single dam thing about actually living in Ireland. This is my entire point. 

Like I said, we can get somebody who doesn’t carry a dead $3 million on the cap to act as a translator, because that’s literally the only thing he’d be useful to them for. 

haha... keep digging there brother.  If Jake was from Finland, his parents were from Finland, he spoke Finnish, identified as Finnish as well as Canadian, and had played for years in the Finnish leagues... ya I would call him Finnish.  That is kind of how it works...

It is quite lame and sad of you to ignore all the actual facts and try to focus on just his name to make some weird straw man argument.

I literally provided you a video of Komarov helping out a new Russian player EXACTLY like I said he could help out Tryamkin and Podkolzin.... and you are still flailing around trying to pivot, backtrack, change the goalposts, etc.

The proper words you are looking for are:

”Yes Provost, you were right.”

... or just let it drop and fade away as other comments bury it.

Doubling down on your nonsense after being showed actual video evidence proving you are spouting nonsense is ludicrous.

Edited by Provost
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

haha... keep digging there brother.  If Jake was from Finland, his parents were from Finland, he spoke Finnish, identified as Finnish as well as Canadian, and had played for years in the Finnish leagues... ya I would call him Finnish.  That is kind of how it works...

It is quite lame and sad of you to ignore all the actual facts and try to focus on just his name to make some weird straw man argument.

I literally provided you a video of Komarov helping out a new Russian player EXACTLY like I said he could help out Tryamkin and Podkolzin.... and you are still flailing around trying to pivot, backtrack, change the goalposts, etc.

Doubling down on your nonsense after being showed actual video evidence proving you are spouting nonsense is ludicrous.

He lived in Finland from age 5 until about age 20. Spent three years in Russia before coming to North America. 

I never said he doesn’t speak Russian. I said he’s not really Russian, and he isn’t. He can translate for them and that’s about as far as it goes. He’s lived in Russia for a relatively very short time, with his formative years in Finland and the vast majority of his adult life in Kiera America. That’s what I’ve said all along. 

why the hell would we want $3m in dead cap for a translator? 

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He is still clearly deadweight on their roster. 1st doesn't matter if he's not really doing much.This is something you haven't addressed. Roussel has more points (albeit marginally) while playing almost the exact minutes as Komarov. 

I agree that Roussel might not be the best option, but I highly doubt a team will send a cheaper player in exchange for a 3M player (this applies to Roussel too). Hence, this trade may possibly make sense. The only other problem is the quarantine. The Canucks won't get him for two weeks.

If we're gonna consider TOI we should also consider games play....? Roussel has double the games and double the points .. a mere 4 in 33 games. Not exactly enticing

I don't think moving Komarov for a less useful deadweight would be helpful for NYI. I'd do the deal, as a Canucks fan, in a heartbeat, but there's a reason for that. Komarov is a more useful player.

Feel like this will just get circular tho - happy to agree to disagree. cheers

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If we're gonna consider TOI we should also consider games play....? Roussel has double the games and double the points .. a mere 4 in 33 games. Not exactly enticing

I don't think moving Komarov for a less useful deadweight would be helpful for NYI. I'd do the deal, as a Canucks fan, in a heartbeat, but there's a reason for that. Komarov is a more useful player.

I agree... but the difference in value probably isn’t that much.  A lower level prospect or really late pick.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Both players need a fresh start. That was the point.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Provost said:

23 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yes, you were right, @Sean Monahan.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1