The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

12 minutes ago, DSVII said:

We agree on a lot of things, but even I'm hesitant to move Schmidt and self-destruct our d core without a suitable replacement. Going scorched earth is counter productive now we have a young core in place.  Edler is getting to the point of aging out of a top 4 level of play, and Myers is barely treading water facing the tough match ups. Had we kept Tanev I would have been open to this. But Schmidt is a perfectly fine top 4 D option that playoff teams need. I think we should keep him.

And hope he ages like fine wine (Bergeron) rather than fall apart (Kesler, rip)

Hopefully they can find some younger replacements . Grab someone from a club trying to prepare for the expansion draft.  Make a decision on Tryamkin.

They could also bring someone back in a Schmidt deal. Someone with a year or two on their deal.  Florida has Stralman. Two years at 4.5 mil.

13 hours ago, lmm said:

I do agree

Like I said , it fell apart a quickly as it came together

I think the only real damage Gillis did before 2011 was the Luongo contract and making him captain

most of his bad signings came later

as did his deadline deals that just were not up to Higgy and Lappy

the thing about building a team as Gillis did, is its a bit like catching lightning in a bottle. Almost all of his deals worked out for about 2 years

what he did do , which I see Jim having a real problem with is fill holes 

Needed a # 1 offensive D-man- Erhoff

Needed a #3 C to hold the 3rd line together, pk and win draws and match the best players around- Malhotra

need a mad man to keep everyone on their toes- Torres

need Veteran leadership with a ring- Samuelsson

4th line C - Lappy

Swiss Army Knife - Higgins

Gritty D -Alberts and Rome

Smooth D- Ballard and already mentioned Erhoff

I just don't see Jim filling out the roster like that

yeah I'd feel better if Jim had a better pro-scouting record. Part of that tho was having a team players wanted to be part of. No one wanted to come here to play for Willie D rejiggy and its hard to get talent to a losing/rebuilding team. 

I expect a much better pool of talent that wants to be here over the next few years. 

• Vintage 3

I think we are going to see a younger team moving forward which means the core is going to really have to grab the bull by the horns. There’s going to be more of our second wave of prospects filling in the team then actual free agents or trades imo 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

It sounds like Jim has told teams calling that they are not interested in moving any of their D.

The delusion of playoffs continues. Lets hope they are right or we will see another year of quality assets walking away for nothing.

Correction on this. I didn't realize that Hamonic has a NMC. It looks like Hamonic is the one saying no. It is his right to do so.

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

It’s pretty safe to say that all the pending UFA on our team will walk for nothing. I’d be shocked if any are sold. To be honest, I bet he is looking more to add than subtract. He is probably in on the Taylor Hall sweepstakes. Someone needs to tell him what games at hand mean. 

Edler and Hamonic aren't going anywhere. Pretty much leaves a meh #6-7 D in Benn to maybe move for what...a 5th or 6th? If we can find a taker.

Hardly anything to lose sleep over if we can't find a dance partner.

Sutter and Pearson are both currently injured IIRC... By all means I'm sure Jim's making calls and listening, but that's no sure fire sale either.

Can't wait for you guys to lambaste Jim for 'sitting on his hands' though :rolleyes:

I'm sure the 'ran out of time' and 'day to day' memes will be hilarious...

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler and Hamonic aren't going anywhere. Pretty much leaves a meh #6-7 D in Benn to maybe move for what...a 5th or 6th? If we can find a taker.

Sutter and Pearson are both currently injured IIRC... By all means I'm sure Jim's making calls and listening, but that's no sure fire sale either.

Can't wait for you guys to lambaste Jim for 'sitting on his hands' though :rolleyes:

Yes, we need Benn playing over Juolevi as long as possible so we can determine how much to pay him when we resign him for 4 years. 

12 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Yes, we need Benn playing over Juolevi as long as possible so we can determine how much to pay him when we resign him for 4 years. 

I have zero problem with moving Benn and playing Juolevi. Doesn't mean there's a market for Benn though.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They could move Schmidt. They could turn Schmidt into a defensive prospect and a first.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I have zero problem with moving Benn and playing Juolevi. Doesn't mean there's a market for Benn though.

should be one in FLA now tho. Jim would probably move him for one of their extra 7th round picks. Benn would be good depth in while they try to land a bigger fish to replace Ekbald. 

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They could move Schmidt. They could turn Schmidt into a defensive prospect and a first.

and who do we replace Schmidt with? and why would we? we got him for a bag of magic beans, it excellent value for us. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and who do we replace Schmidt with? and why would we? we got him for a bag of magic beans, it excellent value for us. 

It depends on the return. He has 4 more years at 6 mil. If you can take the third round pick that you gave for Schmidt and turn it into a high end prospect and a first. You got to look at it.

A team that is heading to the playoffs may be willing to pay. 

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That's just stupid. We got a first pairing D for a third and you want to move him as we're exiting our rebuild :lol:

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It depends on the return. He has 4 more years at 6 mil. If you can take the third round pick that you gave for Schmidt and turn it into a high end prospect and a first. You got to look at it.

A team that is heading to the playoffs may be willing to pay. 

I don't see it being worth it. A 25-31st oa in a weak draft. I guess it depends on the prospect, it would have to be someone very special. But if it was they wouldn't move him. Seems like a non-starter to me.

Plus we then have the issue of needing top pairing d ourselves for next year. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see it being worth it. A 25-31st oa in a weak draft. I guess it depends on the prospect, it would have to be someone very special. But if it was they wouldn't move him. Seems like a non-starter to me.

Plus we then have the issue of needing top pairing d ourselves for next year. 

Byram and Colorado's first... Sure.:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That's just stupid. We got a first pairing D for a third and you want to move him as we're exiting our rebuild. :lol:

Stupid is not examining the offers. 

The bolded part shows how delusional you really are.     :frantic:           We are mid way into a rebuild. Three to four years away. If they get aggressive. We are missing about ten players to make this club a real contender. The entire bottom six is a mess.   

If Schmidt was 25 then I would say keep him.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Stupid is not examining the offers. 

The bolded part shows how delusional you really are.     :frantic:           We are mid way into a rebuild. Three to four years away. If they get aggressive. We are missing about ten players to make this club a real contender. The entire bottom six is a mess.   

If Schmidt was 25 then I would say keep him.

No we're aren't lol

We need a 3C and more/better RD depth.

• Haha 1

Most teams that are rebuilding go through a time when the fans see hope. We are at the hope part. If you go back three to four years teams like Colorado, Winnipeg and Florida were all at that point. They are just starting to be legit.

We will have some success but are years away. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No we're aren't lol

It has taken then 7 years to get 10 quality players. They need ten more. They need a complete bottom six.

Only time will solve this. 

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Byram and Colorado's first... Sure.:lol:

hey I mean if they were willing to do that, heck yeah.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

yup. Tryamkin can fill in there tho. Myers, Nik and Hamonic is more than serviceable. 

3C is our biggest need, I think we're in agreement on that one. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I think we are going to see a younger team moving forward which means the core is going to really have to grab the bull by the horns. There’s going to be more of our second wave of prospects filling in the team then actual free agents or trades imo 

That's a BINGO.   Agreed.   Cap after next year will allow for one, or maybe two holes to be filled - the rest has the come from within.   Thankfully we should get another blue chip guy this season for that.   Patience is a virtue and get that anyone is done with this team or is had too much.   But that's the league now.  Really i didn't think JB or anyone had a hope in hell.   The only thing that bugs me a little is he gave more hope then the average fan should get.   Grateful yes.  No he's not a god.  He's just better then average lol. 

• Vintage 1