The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

8 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

What has happened is now in the past. I feel managementshould be replaced as well as the coaching staff. Asset management has been terrible since day 1 and would look a lot worse if Markstrom was picked off waivers the year he played in Utica. Free agency has been terrible since day 1 as well but RFA signings have been good. Trades are both bad and good with a lot of risk/luck being involved like shooting darts at a board with a blindfold. Drafting has been great but nobody is saying let’s replace the amateur scouting staff, just the pro one. 
We have gained the knowledge that our management is not nearly good enough or ready to take the team to the next step of the rebuild by these players walking away as lost assets. By signing big money to our bottom 6 who aren’t even close to living up to their contracts has ultimately cost us these assets and that is unacceptable, for any franchise. Moving on from Marky and replacing his money with Schmidt because of Demko’s emergence should have been the only move made by management while retaining the rest. Attaching a first to a Loui contract to shed $6 million in cap and not signing Holtby to retain Tanev/Toffoli/Stetcher would have been assetmanagement 101 because the value of all three far exceeds a first round pick and a player who is a distraction due to his cap hit and lack of productivity. 

I agree

except what you say about the bottom 6

Baertschi was brought in to play 2LW

Ericksson 1RW

Sutter 2C to shield Horvat, however Horvat was better than Sutter from the day Sutter got here and wasn't Sutter an RFA?

While we might have thought Sutter would have worked his way down to bottom 6 the other  2 are top6 misses

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Pretty much this but the mistakes Gillis made were in drafting.. Luongo C didn't affect much as far as the team goes.. But not having a push from prospects is what hurt the most. 

In Gillis' defense he wanted to start rebuild 2 yrs before he was let go. Aqua wanted the playoff revenue so denied his rebuild request..  

Scouting and drafting were the weakest points of MGs tenure.. other than that he was the best GM in Canucks history....  exciting hockey with championship aspirations. 

There was a lot to like about Gillis’ time here. I appreciated that he was very innovative with things like hiring a sleep doctor.  He really thought outside the box.

He flew to Sweden at the last minute to sign the Sedin’s contract, signed Burrows to his $2 million/year 4 year contract.
He let Naslund and Morrison leave as FAs getting nothing in return, something JB gets a lot of heat for now.

Some good pickups like Sundin, Samuelson & Ehrhoff but some misses like Ballard and winding up with only Lack as a starter.

I think that’s also when he filed tampering charges against  Burke and Wilson in TO resulting in warnings (only!)

He had such an  overbearing, superior personality that he was a hard guy to like. It didn’t matter when things were going well but when things went sour it was really easy to have your fill of  him. Overall, some decent memories.

55 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Pretty much this but the mistakes Gillis made were in drafting.. Luongo C didn't affect much as far as the team goes.. But not having a push from prospects is what hurt the most. 

In Gillis' defense he wanted to start rebuild 2 yrs before he was let go. Aqua wanted the playoff revenue so denied his rebuild request..  

Scouting and drafting were the weakest points of MGs tenure.. other than that he was the best GM in Canucks history....  exciting hockey with championship aspirations. 

the problem with Gillis rebuilding 2 years earlier is that his drafting did suck

so what was he going to do, trade assetts for more Gaunces and Shrinkwraps?

ever wonder how it is that we got Bo Horvat?

He is the anomally of Gillis' draft chart

If not for Horvat, Ben Hutton would be his best pick

hard to imagine Gillis in charge of the rebuild

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

the problem with Gillis rebuilding 2 years earlier is that his drafting did suck

Didnt Gillis trade our whole farm system

did gillis get ballard for us?

what a resume, cant believe some people want him back to be gm

21 minutes ago, teepain said:

Didnt Gillis trade our whole farm system

did gillis get ballard for us?

what a resume, cant believe some people want him back to be gm

did yju even read eny off thiss threat?

whom sayed they wan tGillis back as GM?

On 3/27/2021 at 1:05 AM, apollo said:

Name 1 GM in the history of sports that's drafted his team the rookie of the year or the runner up 3 years in a row. I'll wait...

(calder in this case)

The Office Waiting GIF

23rd overall, 5th overall, 7th overall... this is not a video game. You should respect his vision and trust his process.

I'm begging you Canucks nation, stay positive and trust Jim's process. I had many doubts in him, you can go back to his first 5 years... I often questioned him and said he should be fired on these forums... but he's made amends and I'm confident that he is the man that will bring us our rightful cup.

Long live Lord Benning!

Edit: fixed... Rookie of the year or runner up without a single top 3 pick. No other GM has done this in all sports.

You forgot that he also drafted Virtanen and Joulevi over a multitude of great players. We will see how he does without Brackett.

8 hours ago, smokes said:

You forgot that he also drafted Virtanen and Joulevi over a multitude of great players. We will see how he does without Brackett.

But he and Brackett drafted those players, so how could it get worse with out Brackett?

Unless you are saying it would be worse without Brackett even thoufgh you are saying it was not good with Brackett?

Really, what are you trying to say anyway?:unsure:

• Haha 2

I have one thought, if a player played well on other team and got traded or signed here is terrible here, it has to do with coaching.  Good coaching is the key and I do not think that Green is a good coach just yet.   He has a potential but he has not proven as the defensive system is byproduct of Green's system.  If we hired Barry Trotz when we had a chance, this team would be very good defensively.    So we just need a right coach to guide this team but who is perfect coach?  I don't see anything that could be available helping this team becoming a great defensive team.

VAN's best players are young and still learning, still developing. The problem is that Benning handed out too many bad contracts and now they can't insulate those young stars with better players. I also don't like how easily Travis handles losses, how he almost makes them acceptable. If he only had half the passion to win that Miller has. Fire them both and start over at the top. 

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

But he and Brackett drafted those players, so how could it get worse with out Brackett?

Unless you are saying it would be worse without Brackett even thoufgh you are saying it was not good with Brackett?

Really, what are you trying to say anyway?:unsure:

When Linden and Jim took over Brackett was in the back ground. He was promoted as time went along. Bracket is big into fancy stats. It looks as though there is others who have assumed Brackett's role with the club. None of us will know what the impact of losing him will be for a few years.

Fans are jumping to conclusions.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, lmm said:

Canucks drafting with Gilles managing was not very good, but to compare the Benning draft team picks it to drafting under Gilles is not a fair comparison, seeing as Gilles teams were President Cup teams and they were getting late round picks (basically Gilles1st round picks were equivalent to where 2nd round Benning picks were - Gilles Teams never got to draft at the top)

Neither Gilles nor Benning are out on the road scouting, they are managing the team in Vancouver, It is the scouts they rely on for their information and the draft is their show as all the other top GM’s have stated, So maybe judge them on their managing, instead of thinking they are scouts and saying how good or bad their drafting was

To make a more fair comparison between the two drafting, you would have to remove all Bennings high 1st draft picks, (as Gilles never received those),while also considering that all Bennings 2nd round picks were equivalent to Gilles 3rd in drafting order etc.

Remove the early picks and remove the advantage of what one had over the other and this is what our team would look like since 2014 with drafting under Benning, with ONLY using the similar draft  picks that were available to the Gilles team, (without the butterfly effect) 

Hoglander    (Horvat)   Boeser

Gadjovich     McCann     Lind

?                    Gaudette   Lockwood

?                       ?                  ?

(Edler)               ?

Rathbone          Woo

Tryamkin            ?          (Only Tree and gf doesn’t want to be here and N.A. and not in the lineup)

Forsling               ?

Demko

Dipietro

Edited by ba;;isticsports

It sounds like Jim has told teams calling that they are not interested in moving any of their D.

The delusion of playoffs continues. Lets hope they are right or we will see another year of quality assets walking away for nothing.

Correction on this. I didn't realize that Hamonic has a NMC. It looks like Hamonic is the one saying no. It is his right to do so.

Edited by appleboy

36 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It sounds like Jim has told teams calling that they are not interested in moving any of their D.

The delusion of playoffs continues. Lets hope they are right or we will see another year of quality assets walking away for nothing.

It’s pretty safe to say that all the pending UFA on our team will walk for nothing. I’d be shocked if any are sold. To be honest, I bet he is looking more to add than subtract. He is probably in on the Taylor Hall sweepstakes. Someone needs to tell him what games at hand mean. 

40 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Correction on this. I didn't realize that Hamonic has a NMC. It looks like Hamonic is the one saying no. It is his right to do so.

The only D we have a reasonable chance of moving is Benn. I don't expect us to move Edler and Hamonic due to their NMCs. And the others (Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone) will be needed because of the lack of NHL ready depth we have at that position. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The only D we have a reasonable chance of moving is Benn. I don't expect us to move Edler and Hamonic due to their NMCs. And the others (Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone) will be needed because of the lack of NHL ready depth we have at that position. 

Maybe the Panthers will be looking for a solid D. Ekblad is going to be gone for the season.

Schmidt's deal is long and takes him into mid thirties. Maybe they could could move him for a top prospect and a first.

16 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

It’s pretty safe to say that all the pending UFA on our team will walk for nothing. I’d be shocked if any are sold. To be honest, I bet he is looking more to add than subtract. He is probably in on the Taylor Hall sweepstakes. Someone needs to tell him what games at hand mean. 

They have 0 cap space to add.  I doubt owners would allow it.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Maybe the Panthers will be looking for a solid D. Ekblad is going to be gone for the season.

Schmidt's deal is long and takes him into mid thirties. Maybe they could could move him for a top prospect and a first.

We agree on a lot of things, but even I'm hesitant to move Schmidt and self-destruct our d core without a suitable replacement. Going scorched earth is counter productive now we have a young core in place.  Edler is getting to the point of aging out of a top 4 level of play, and Myers is barely treading water facing the tough match ups. Had we kept Tanev I would have been open to this. But Schmidt is a perfectly fine top 4 D option that playoff teams need. I think we should keep him.

And hope he ages like fine wine (Bergeron) rather than fall apart (Kesler, rip)

Edited by DSVII