The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lynn Valley Library Stabbings, Multiple Victims

-DLC-

Buy up old properties, fix them up, make them into social housing. Part of the "rent" is you have to either clean up around the place, maintain it, or some way help out with the complex. Or failing that you have to commit to community service as part of the requirement. 

There's other ways too. Containers, converted to housing, may not be the most flashy places to live. But it keeps a roof over your head. And they can be made very comfortable.

Getting people the help they need, be it psychological, drug related, or what have you. There is a small percentage of the population that is always going to need assistance. 

Is anyone doing studies with social work, and trying to find the sources that so many seem to be homeless now? It is basically even renting is expensive these days? Or so many places are getting bulldozed to make luxury condos, that people are getting pushed out?  

On topic: 

I feel for the individual’s friends and family who lost a loved one and of course the individual who lost their life from a senseless act of violence. 

I don’t expect an act like this in the lower Mainland, especially in N. Van. 

9 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I live across the street from this... Work in the mall where it happened. Any other day and I'd have been right there.

Can't believe something like this could happen in my community.

Same here. It’s been pretty devastating for the community. My parents were there when it all happened, heartbroken for the victims but thankful my family is safe. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I live across the street from this... Work in the mall where it happened. Any other day and I'd have been right there.

Can't believe something like this could happen in my community.

Hate to tell you this, it can happen anywhere. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

anyone got updates on what set him off to do something like that?

I doubt motive will be released this early. No doubt some psychological breakdown occurred. I wonder what the trigger issue was. Employment? Relationship? Financial? Went off meds? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

B.C. used to have a hospital for the mentally ill, but the pproperty was worth a fortune. So they shut it down, moved every one out and sold the land.

Turf every one into the community, then paid lip service, instead of actual money and programs, to expanding community help.

Not at all correct. The Riverview Hospital was located on the Riverview lands. They can't be privately developed and they are building a new hospital there. The facility was closed because it was outdated and no longer funded.

Back on topic, any info on the perpetrator?

• Cheers 1

The motive behind the attacks remain unknown. The suspect was known to police and had a criminal record, according to IHIT spokesman Sgt. Frank Jang.

Shayla Dyson, a Vancouver resident who was eating at nearby Brown's Socialhouse in Lynn Valley Village, witnessed a woman  – it's unknown if it's the same woman who has since died   walking with her child near the library when she was suddenly jumped by a man and stabbed, according to Dyson.

“I immediately shoved one of my friends behind me so they didn’t have to watch it happen," said Dyson. The man then apparently left the scene before he was arrested by police.

Brown's staff then brought the woman, along with her child, into the restaurant for safety.

Dyson said the woman's child appeared to be physically unharmed.

“He was covered in his mom’s blood," noted Dyson.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/serious-police-incident-in-lynn-valley-3582611

:sadno:

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, taxi said:

Not at all correct. The Riverview Hospital was located on the Riverview lands. They can't be privately developed and they are building a new hospital there. The facility was closed because it was outdated and no longer funded.

Back on topic, any info on the perpetrator?

I believe he’s in custody but can’t confirm 100%. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's inhumane to have people sleeping in tents in snow and rain.  Rats and fires.  Also - they put others at risk when they wander around untreated/unchecked.  Many are incapable of being in that setting without proper treatment and meds.  They're not fit to be wandering the streets without the proper monitoring.

I do agree that locking people away is horrible....but, as said, with improvements there could be a better option.  

These people often don't have the luxury of good "sense" in the throes of mental health issues.  So keeping them (and others) safe is important.

I agree with your first sentence. Such people should be given housing. The fact remains that it's more humane to let people have their freedom even if they don't have shelter than to lock them away in some godforsaken facility. Involuntary hospitalization is a human rights issue.

Most people with mental illness pose no risk to anyone else, and nobody deserves to be monitored.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Warning:  some graphic footage of the alleged suspect as he's being apprehended.  (Hint:  he stabs himself in the leg)

He slit his wrist, not stabbed his leg. Not that it matters, it was self harm either way. But just clarifying.

4 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

Anyone with sense would rather live on the streets than in a hospital regardless of any "upgrades" to it. It's not a good life. In fact, it's highly inhumane to keep people locked away.

I don't think anyone is at significantly more risk of "danger" as a result of the closing of Riverview and challenge you to prove your point.

I never said anything about trials.

It wasn't a place for people with sense.

We need mental health support more than ever these days. If they are a threat to themselves and/or the community, we can't have them living on the streets. 

• Cheers 2