The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Author of Captain Underpants Pulls (Racist) Book

-DLC-

On 3/29/2021 at 9:12 PM, stawns said:

Honestly, I don't really get it, but I have multiple copies of all his books and they're barely ever on the shelves. They go out as fast as they come in

My kids absolutely LOVE the Dogman books. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BPA said:

Slightly off topic...

There is a thing I recently learned called "Unconscious Bias" and it's in everyone.  And is usually framed from your knowledge and experiences. 

Unconscious bias (or implicit bias) is often defined as prejudice or unsupported judgments in favor of or against one thing, person, or group as compared to another, in a way that is usually considered unfair. ... In contrast, deliberate prejudices are defined as conscious bias (or explicit bias).

Unconscious or implicit bias refers to the associations that are made between different qualities and social categories such race, gender or disability and are judgements that are made without conscious awareness. These automatic preferences or stereotypes are a major contributor to a lack of workplace diversity.

A common example would be a tech-heavy project – the unconscious bias may cause a manager to assume that a younger person would be more apt to handle this job as opposed to an older one.

There's tons of good logical fallacies.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html

Another useful tool when it comes to debate is the hierarchy of disagreement.

image.thumb.png.cedba1e3f847e92d1ee968f04953e2dd.png

4 hours ago, BoKnows said:

There's tons of good logical fallacies.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html

Another useful tool when it comes to debate is the hierarchy of disagreement.

image.thumb.png.cedba1e3f847e92d1ee968f04953e2dd.png

Hmmm.....you learn something new every day....

I always thought "asshat" was a single word....like "dipsh!t", or bonehead.....:unsure:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

You guys were seriously throwing around the term “whitey”? Seriously? What hypocrisy. 

Its ok though right? Its impossible to be racist towards caucasians because of the color of their skin?

22 hours ago, Kurgom said:

Gotta love mentally ill black people being called "racist" and used to label "anti-asian" "hate crimes" as a black people issue. This guy would have hurt someone regardless of Covid and China's aggressive policies because of the broken prison system.

Not everything is a hate crime, sometimes it's just a regular crime. Anti-asian hate is on the rise, but it's still nothing compared to what blacks in the US face and to a lesser extent black people here. I'm technically Asian, but I'm brown so I'm not sure if I would count as "Asian" in the way its used for talking about these hate crimes. Honestly in BC specifically Asians have it a lot easier than most just because of their historical presence here along with already having large populations of Asian people. It's harder for a powerful group to discriminate against a minority if the minority can live their life without ever seeing the group in power. And in a lot of places in the lower mainland, Asians are the majority. Canadian's really need to stop importing America's political issues, it's a completely different environment. I'm more worried about Chinese influence here than anything else, and I'm sure a lot of Chinese-Canadian's are as well.

The people trying to pin this on black people are buying too much into group dynamics, black people aren't a monolith. Just like a white guy can 100% be not responsible at all for white supremacy issues, one mentally ill black man doesn't indict the black community in North America as being "the problem" with. Even if there's 50 of them, black people don't control what they're told by the media and they aren't the ones who pushed "what's wrong with black people, look at how well Asians are doing!" $&!# in the 90's and 80's.

I agree that not every crime is a hate crime but in this case it might be.

Prior to beating her viciously, he told her “you don’t belong here”

I don’t think this is black and Asian issue only, you can see stats bellow that show offenders race.

As far as him being mentally ill, he stabbed his own mother to death, he just might be a bad guy.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/reports-analysis/hate-crimes.page

just gunna say old school disney movies were awesome, even if there is racist undertones, hell im native i aint getting all uppity about pocahontas, i couldnt care any less about that stuff. did they cancel dumbo already because of the crows....

Edited by TNucks1

While I don't necessarily agree with "cancel culture", I do think that we need to educate. 

For a long time, Asians have kept quiet; not wanting to stir the pot. But being too passive have allowed us to be pushed around. People think it's okay to perpetuate ioffensive stereotypes against Asians because they know we'll just keep quiet and not fight back. 

I'm not saying to "cancel" everyone who makes an Asian joke, but we need to call out harmful, racist behaviour. Asking me where I'm from is okay. Following up with "but where are you really from?" is not. Telling me to "go back to <insert Asian country>" is racist.