The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

-DLC-

• -DLC- pinned and featured this topic

I know it's not blockbuster stuff, but I like the moves that Benning made. I also understand it has nothing to do with COVID, but Benn is an anti-masker I believe. I didn't think Benn provided enough physicality like I thought he would anyway, and it sheds a bit of cap. The extra picks are nice, even if they are lower. Could be more changes at the Draft? What I found interesting, is Benning saying this isn't a deep draft, so would he actually trade the 1st?  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know it's not blockbuster stuff, but I like the moves that Benning made. I also understand it has nothing to do with COVID, but Benn is an anti-masker I believe. I didn't think Benn provided enough physicality like I thought he would anyway, and it sheds a bit of cap. The extra picks are nice, even if they are lower. Could be more changes at the Draft? What I found interesting, is Benning saying this isn't a deep draft, so would he actually trade the 1st?  

I interpret that as more uncertainty than him being sure it's not a deep draft, which would make sense given how Covid's impacted the ability for teams to scout and track prospects 

Beyond maybe the first couple rounds this draft is probably gonna be a crapshoot 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I interpret that as more uncertainty than him being sure it's not a deep draft, which would make sense given how Covid's impacted the ability for teams to scout and track prospects 

Beyond maybe the first couple rounds this draft is probably gonna be a crapshoot 

Maybe? Hmm, I was thinking he may trade the 1st, along with Loui and Antoine, for a 5th. Benning likes 5ths lol 

They're discussing Highmore/Gaudette and how Gaud sees himself as a top 6 and there wouldn't be a fit for him here in relation to that.  That he wasn't a guy they relied on in the playoffs and he didn't take that extra step they'd expected.

That Highmore is touted as:  a guy who'll do whatever's asked of him.  High motor, better skater (Gaud with more talent).  Will go to the net every time.  Comparing him to a Motte kind of player?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe? Hmm, I was thinking he may trade the 1st, along with Loui and Antoine, for a 5th. Benning likes 5ths lol 

I mean, it's possible 

But if anything I think they'd just buy out Loui before trading a first to clear cap space or retain 50% of Rouss's deal and pay a smaller price 

This is probably the highest we'll pick in a while imo, I'd be surprised if they didn't capitalize on it by selecting a player 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How does shedding a bit of cap at the trade deadline on an expiring contract, and not acquiring any other contract of any substantial value help us out at all?  I'm not trying to be a d&#k, I just don't understand the comment? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

This is probably the highest we'll pick in a while imo, I'd be surprised if they didn't capitalize on it by selecting a player 

It's much more exciting as a fan to receive a new gift each year, a Top 10 draft pick to add to the prospects, but I think the Canucks may be at a stage where they're going to have to start paying Pettersson and Hughes big money, so shedding salary is a priority. The top prospects are in the system and now it's building around those guys?  Ah heck, who knows what their plan is? lol

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How does shedding a bit of cap at the trade deadline on an expiring contract, and not acquiring any other contract of any substantial value help us out at all?  I'm not trying to be a d&#k, I just don't understand the comment? 

My bad, I forgot his contract expires after this season

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

I wonder if JB just did minor moves cuz he still have hope of reaching the playoffs (seeing how Calgary is selling and Montreal has lost several games recently).

:mellow:

Your logic doesn't make much sense. If he thinks he has hope, wouldn't he be buying? Nah, I think the Canucks are sellers too, but COVID nuked their trade values.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Your logic doesn't make much sense. If he thinks he has hope, wouldn't he be buying? Nah, I think the Canucks are sellers too, but COVID nuked their trade values.

If JB was really selling, he could have traded Virtanen and Sutter (50% retained) for a lower return. 

• Like 1