The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler To Have Hearing Today [Update: Suspended 2 games]

Rate this topic

-DLC-

11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

omg whi is doing that call?

"Ohhh it big pain for number 12, its Eric Staal I believe, he's holding his right kneeeeee"

that guy should have a ob in the NHL

terrible call imo.

the only reason this happened was because hyman doesnt even glance up, when taking control of the puck. if he did he wouldnt have made that attempt to get out of the way when it was too late. kerfoot glanced over at hyman like "what are you doing?"

edler is just protecting himself, if they missed knees surely their skates would connect and edler might have went head first into the boards.

no one would have got hurt if hyman reacted before 0.3 second's before contact or just braced.

1 hour ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I like to think that the majority are actually fine with it but would like to see DOPS be consistent and not look the other way for certain players...

I actually used to support players having to be suspended for the same number of games the other player is injured for but then that would just result in abuse of the system and there should be a difference considering intent and malice 

I get that. not going to disagree.  That’s not what page one of the thread, etc., is fired up about though. 

At the end of the day, it’s still Sports Entertainment though, and just like the old WWF, much of the outcome is predetermined, at least to the best of the “officials” ability to influence the desired outcomes. 

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How many games did Matthews get for this one..... 

You think that’s the same?:huh:

Theres next to no momentum there, and that knee is more of a MMA knee than the cliche knee on knee, like the one Edler stuck out. 
Different potentials all together, IMO 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Theres next to no momentum there, and that knee is more of a MMA knee than the cliche knee on knee, like the one Edler stuck out. 

Uhh, yeah, actually it is the same. It is still a knee on knee. Stop with the pathetic excuses.

• Haha 2

I think it's a fair suspension. We need to get those knees out of the game. Just tuck it in and play smarter. Edler has always been reckless with his knees. 

Is it inconsistent with the DOPS? Yes. But they got the suspension right. 

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, on the surface, I don't have an issue with this being 2 games.

But, if this is 2 games, McDavid's had shot should have been as well.

I watched that game live and none of the videos on YouTube show the reason why McDavid didn't get suspended. He hardly touched the guy's head (he grazed it on the follow through pulling his glove back). The elbow was actually straight to the chest, it deflected up and off and then he swung back and grazed his face. It's why Kotz was perfectly fine on the play. 

Turns out none of the videos on YouTube want to show the correct angle that was shown live on the game which clearly shows this, which obviously sparked outrage because it looks really bad from the angles they do show. 

The best angle is a slow mo from the broadcast angle. Not sure if you'd be able to find a clip of it anywhere. I know there's a gif of it on imgur.com somewhere which shows it clearly. 

It was definitely nothing close to the Keith elbow on Sedin or the Pavel Bure wild elbow back in the day. 

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Well I never said they were the same I just asked how many games he got or heck even a penalty for it, not all knee hits are the same... But when the intent is there to cause a possible injury why is it any different in your eyes because of momentum.... Is that how you determine a hit from behind? Or a hit to the head? If the momentum isn't strong enough in your eyes then it's ok now interesting. 

12 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I never said they were the same I just asked how many games he got or heck even a penalty for it, not all knee hits are the same... But when the intent is there to cause a possible injury why is it any different in your eyes because of momentum.... Is that how you determine a hit from behind? Or a hit to the head? If the momentum isn't strong enough in your eyes then it's ok now interesting. 

It’s completely bizarre to me to be arguing about something so obvious, but maybe not many have played the game hard enough to have done these things enough times to know the difference between the two plays. 

There is so much going on in your post that suggests to me that we have radically different experiences shaping our perceptions of these plays.  

• RoughGame 1

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s completely bizarre to me to be arguing about something so obvious, but maybe not many have played the game hard enough to have done these things enough times to know the difference between the two plays. 

There is so much going on in your post that suggests to me that we have radically different experiences shaping our perceptions of these plays.  

Ok bud... I asked you a couple questions wasn't aware that was considered an argument now :lol:, but we can make it one then.

I see what the problem is, you haven't adapted to the new era of NHL and are still in the 80-90s era of NHL, that kind of dirty play by Matthews was acceptable back in the 80-90s, but in this era of hockey that's unacceptable and dirty you don't teach kids to do that at all. I'm not here trying to compare Edler to that, I have no problem with Edlers suspension it's actually about time he got caught tbh, he does this a lot more often then I think people realize especially in the last 3-5 years because he has slowed down a lot and gets beat a lot more than he used to, just some how the guys he does it to do don't always get hurt, hence he gets lucky. What my problem is and why I posted that Matthews one, is the inconsistency in the NHL in cracking down on anything, whether you want to acknowledge what Matthews did as dirty or not, it was dirty you just don't do that especially on purpose. I get sometimes it just happens kind of like an instinct because how fast the game can be, that can't be used in Matthews one though like you said no momentum, instead it's a completely reckless play on his part and done on purpose hence should be addressed by the NHL to eliminate that kind of crap, but because the NHL is a joke league and picks and chooses instead, guys like Matthews doing that on purpose can continue until it's serious great.

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Ok bud... I asked you a couple questions wasn't aware that was considered an argument now :lol:, but we can make it one then.

I see what the problem is, you haven't adapted to the new era of NHL and are still in the 80-90s era of NHL, that kind of dirty play by Matthews was acceptable back in the 80-90s, but in this era of hockey that's unacceptable and dirty you don't teach kids to do that at all. I'm not here trying to compare Edler to that, I have no problem with Edlers suspension it's actually about time he got caught tbh, he does this a lot more often then I think people realize especially in the last 3-5 years because he has slowed down a lot and gets beat a lot more than he used to, just some how the guys he does it to do don't always get hurt, hence he gets lucky. What my problem is and why I posted that Matthews one, is the inconsistency in the NHL in cracking down on anything, whether you want to acknowledge what Matthews did as dirty or not, it was dirty you just don't do that especially on purpose. I get sometimes it just happens kind of like an instinct because how fast the game can be, that can't be used in Matthews one though like you said no momentum, instead it's a completely reckless play on his part and done on purpose hence should be addressed by the NHL to eliminate that kind of crap, but because the NHL is a joke league and picks and chooses instead, guys like Matthews doing that on purpose can continue until it's serious great.

Yeah, I don’t know man, I’m not here to change anyone’s mind.  The word ‘argument’ has a few meanings.  

Vernacular or semantics, take your pick, but I don’t argue as much as I’ll craft an argument.  You make it sound so lame :blush:  No need to elaborate or provide a rebuttal. 

You’re welcome to your own opinions, which I assume are shaped by your own experiences.  I’ll leave it at that. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yeah, I don’t know man, I’m not here to change anyone’s mind.  The word ‘argument’ has a few meanings.  Vernacular or semantics, take your pick, but I don’t argue as much as I’ll craft an argument.  You make is sound so lame lol. No need to elaborate or provide a rebuttal. 

You’re welcome to your own opinions, which I assume are shaped by your own experiences.  I’ll leave it at that. 

You engage with me first I'll leave it at that.