The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

You were asking if people have read her allegations/story?

No, I haven't. 

I won't read a story from Jake either.

I will let the appropriate people do their jobs and see what results from that.

I am not a judge, they are more educated, and often smarter than me; they get paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out.

This is a smart view to take 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

At this point in time all we know based on her side of the story is that a sexual act between 2 people with good possibility happen.

I say that because she said it happen at a hotel. My guess is she remembers which one and on what day. This part can be proven as Jake probably used a credit card to pay for the room.

After that we have her side and we will never hear his side he is the public face and any statement even a denial would look bad in the public view. This will never go to court. It will be settled outside of it. If it happen he will pay her off if it didn't the Crown prosecutor will not even send it to the grand jury. This is what happen in the Patrick Kane case.

So honestly this happened between two people and all the pubic will do is turn on someone because he is a public figure and the public will truly never know the truth. Some of the Public may even turn on the accuser. If she is lying she has issues of her own to deal with and really does need to get out of the public eye.

Please stop talking about the American court system. It is not the same here. Look at my response to you above

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

yes and that is where the grey area comes in. 

This will be the she said he said part. As I said in the first post I wrote here. This is a clear case of he said she said. 

it doesn't matter if he's found innocent or guilty. if he committed the act he committed the act. if shes lying shes lying.

the fact is if the last part didn't happen he's still a total douche.

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

We don’t have a “grand jury” in Canada. 

The process here is the police collect the information/evidence and submit a report to Crown Counsel for charge approval. Crown counsel weighs the evidence/circumstances and decide to lay a charge based on:

1) likelihood of conviction (they must prove beyond a reasonable doubt)

AND

2) if it’s in the public’s interest.

As I mentioned before, sex assaults are the tricky one. Police are mandated to submit those cases even if it’s just based on an allegation with no corroborating evidence (like forensics, witnesses, video, etc).

Basically in those he said/she said situations, the judges will determine who is more credible and decide their judgements from there. 

Also, it is the defendant that chooses to be tried by judge or jury (not Crown).

Good catch I do apologies 

As a lawyer who works in the States and here in Canada I did mess up. Plus I am not a defense lawyer just have friends that are. I work in contract law

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

it doesn't matter if he's found innocent or guilty. if he committed the act he committed the act. if shes lying shes lying.

In your opinion 

Therefore not fact

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I disagree. It really does matter.

Someone is lying or the other committed a sexual assault. Both are heinous 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I feel you are against Virtanen because you think that is the view you have to take

Just now, grandmaster said:

I disagree. It really does matter.

Someone is lying or the other committed a sexual assault. Both are heinous 

It really doesn't matter to any of us just between the to of them.

If she feels like this and he feels he didn't do anything wrong then to her he should acknowledge that. Privately  

45 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

IF YOU READ THE STORY AND YOU KNOW THE LAW NO CROWN PROSECTUTOR WILL SEND IT TO A GRAND JURY

she was not drunk and says she had the chance to leave and chose not to

You are clearly not a lawyer.

We don’t even have grand juries in Canada, you don’t know what you are talking about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

cool, you found a way to walk the line of the law. congrats.

the law is not a expert on rape.

are you the kind of guy to hover your finger over someone and say i'm not touching you over and over again.

if you think you can get away with the act as comitted in the story your dead wrong.

a person can rescind consent at anytime.

if some guy knocked on my door and i asked him to leave repeatedly and the last time you start pushing my way past me and i try to stop but failed, thats on them

What does this have to do with what I said? 

The law comes down to what can be proven. Just because YOU believe what was written - which could be true or could be a lie - doesnt mean it can be proven in a court of law. Thats not how the system works.

Not gonna lie, I normally ignore personal insults but if you are somehow suggesting I must be a rapist or someone who assaults people because I think I can get away with it, then &^@# you. Hard to tell with the gobbledygook you write but if defaming another person that way isnt worth a ban nothing on here is.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

IF YOU READ THE STORY AND YOU KNOW THE LAW NO CROWN PROSECTUTOR WILL SEND IT TO A GRAND JURY

she was not drunk and says she had the chance to leave and chose not to

No ur right,  they won't send it to a grand jury because we don't have them in Canada. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don’t even have grand juries in Canada, you don’t know what you are talking about.

8 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

As a lawyer who works in the States and here in Canada I did mess up. Plus I am not a defense lawyer just have friends that are. I work in contract law

End of the day, who cares ( from a hockey fan perspective). He's already worthless.   Maybe he can call up brendan leipsic and see of he can get him a job. At the very least , I'm sure he can show him the fastest way to delete social media accounts and the best moving companies that ship to Europe. 

Edited by cuporbust

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

No ur right,  they won't send it to a grand jury because we don't have them in Canada. 

10 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

see people I apologies and people still attack and are smart as*s

Provost even says I'm not a Lawyer because I made a mistake he must be right

6 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Part of the problem is no one will believe the victim. Chances are this will go under reported and Virtanen will get traded or bought out and everyone will move on with their lives. I am 100% with innocent until proven guilty. I really hope these allegations are false but we can’t keep shaming these individuals into hiding. This is why a lot of sexual assaults go unreported because the victims are too scared to come out. Especially in a high profile situation such as this. I’m not holding a pitch fork but this does need to be investigated. 

That's your issue. No one said it shouldn't be investigated, they just said not to assume it is true until enough evidence is out. 

I personally can’t stand Jake Virtanen. My good friends kid played with him. It was all natural talent for him. He never put in any hard work or training. Just partied. 

That obviously doesn’t fly in today’s NHL. This is why he has become such a disappointment.

I will say though, IF he is innocent of this allegation, I do feel sorry for him. No one deserves to be falsely accused of such a thing. Just being accused of this ruins people’s lives. It destroys you.

On the same note, if he did do what he is being accused of then throw the book at him (which in Canadian, especially BC courts, is unlikely). A sexual predator, regardless of fame, is the scum of the earth. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I feel you are against Virtanen because you think that is the view you have to take

the odds are she isn't lying. just because you cant prove that he isn't lying, doesn't mean that she is. of course she may be lying, but if she is thats a damn good lie.

but probably he will have a different story, maybe shes bat$&!# crazy, but likely not.

anyways if his story is good enough he probably walks, but the odds are she isn't lying.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

see people I apologies and people still attack and are smart as*s

Provost even says I'm not a Lawyer because I made a mistake he must be right

All good buddy, I was the first one to call you on that and admire the fact that you owned up to it and even gave you a beer emoji!