The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

If it is someone close to me and they went with a guy they dont know too well to a hotel. Well yeah I'd be really mad. But I'll for sure comment on how stupid that decision is. The world is survival of the fittest out there. If you are stupid enough to go to a hotel with a guy, then.... Who can help you? 

Sure.....during the Stone Age.... 

• Vintage 1

On a side note....(and not particularly aimed at Jake)

This whole story makes me wonder, how much time is spent by the organisation in general educating the players (youngsters in particular) about their conduct.

These young millionaires may easily be led to believe they are invincible and the law doesn't apply to them, once they become superstars...

I'm sure there is a lot of education going on regarding drink and drugs, especially since Kassians issues, but do they actually take the players aside and explain to them, that in this day and age they can't just do, what they want?

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

On a side note....(and not particularly aimed at Jake)

This whole story makes me wonder, how much time is spent by the organisation in general educating the players (youngsters in particular) about their conduct.

These young millionaires may easily be led to believe they are invincible and the law doesn't apply to them, once they become superstars...

I'm sure there is a lot of education going on regarding drink and drugs, especially since Kassians issues, but do they actually take the players aside and explain to them, that in this day and age they can't just do, what they want?

I would imagine all teams, as in any organization, would have an onboarding discussing the policies of sexual harassment that is done in or outside the organization. The case for Jake, though, is that he entered the organization in 2014 and I would imagine the policies of sexual harassment before and after #MeToo has changed significantly.

I remember I joined a multi-national corporation back in 2008. We had an onboarding and the topic that came up is sexual harassment and the ones onboarding us were also suggesting "victim blaming" saying stuff like "women also have to consider what they are wearing". Looking back it's quite strange to have someone from a huge corporation use that as a company guideline, but I am sure if I were to join that company again they wouldn't be using that anymore. 

• Vintage 1

3.5 years later. Why not earlier?

The fact that you can accuse someone years after with no witness testimony and no proof is worrying. People talk about protecting the victims but what if this is a false allegation? We should wait until all the facts come out and not assume guilt until proven.

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If you felt you needed to clarify what you were trying to say then you should have corrected your first post. Not everyone is going to go through 14 of so pages of a thread. 

So no you do not deserve or should expect an apology for me. 

You misquoted me! Easy to see from the one post in question that you were disengenious in order to make your point. There were other posts that said what you attributed to me, but not mine. 

MODS? We allow misquotes now? 

11 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

We know that the vast majority of sexual assault survivors never come forward, so I support her. From a quick Google search I was surprised to see that there is no statute of limitations in BC for sexual assault cases. The problem is that the alleged crime happened three and a half years ago, so short of credit card evidence, even proving they were at the hotel will be tough. It's unlikely that any physical evidence remains; cell phone tower data is long gone; as is surveillance video. Google location services might be helpful. One key will be whether she told other people at the time, and whether those witnesses recall similar details. These cases are really hard to prove, especially if she went to a hotel with him voluntarily.

There is no statute of limitation for criminal code offenses in Canada. It's federal, nothing ng to do with BC.

22 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

You misquoted me! Easy to see from the one post in question that you were disengenious in order to make your point. There were other posts that said what you attributed to me, but not mine. 

MODS? We allow misquotes now? 

Well if I misquoted you then I wouldn't be the first it seems since you did say you had to clarify what your originally posted. 

If that is not what you meant then fine. But I am not apologizing for you not making your point across clearer. 

Just move on 

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well if I misquoted you then I wouldn't be the first it seems since you did say you had to clarify what your originally posted. 

If that is not what you meant then fine. But I am not apologizing for you not making your point across clearer. 

Just move on 

Firstly, if you had bothered to read the subsequent posts, they were in a response to another poster, not that I felt I didn't say what I wanted to say well.

And no, it is not my fault that you misquoted me...it's yours and it should be corrected. You say "then I wouldn't be the first it seems", but you were the first...and the only!

YOU put in quotation marks something I did not say, and then left other crucial words in my post out to further bolster your point (which wasn't mine). It is the very textbook definition of a misquote, and it is egregious. 

Just move on?! HUH? How about you have some integrity and remove the post and apologize?

Original post reported, and I am not going anywhere.

17 hours ago, fecklund said:

I'm a guy and was raped by my exgf a few years back. Yes, it happens (more than you think).
I did mention it to a cop once during a separate incident but the cop laughed in my face. Didn't help she was female.
At that point I just told myself to forget about it. Damage was done anyway.

She may be a girl, but she definitely needs her ass beat. Sorry that happened to you.

4 years later she decides to anonymously come out on Instagram about it? Smells fishy to me. Good old social justice has him immediately suspended because innocence before proven guilty takes a back seat to the fear of SJW internet backlash.

Nice end cap to this train crash season

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

4 years later she decides to anonymously come out on Instagram about it? Smells fishy to me.

Coming out isn't easy as it sounds. In fact it's very difficult. Especially when it involves someone who is known to the community and is in a position of power. 

Like I said earlier to use that argument comes off as ignorant. It's a huge burden on your personal and mental life even after coming out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

-Who cares it happened 4 years ago? The overwhelming majority of sexual assaults and sexual misconducts go completely un reported at all do to personal shame, the fear of prosecution or even personal safety concerns.

-I don't know about you, but in my younger years I have definitely went up to a Hotel room to ''party''. That doesn't mean I was expecting something to happen. Even if the context of going up to the hotel room was implied the person in question has ever right at any point to leave and not engage further. According to the story the victim felt she was unable to leave even after several attempts to leave.

- You're right, it's 2021. The fact people like you can still be so ignorant and naive on such an incredibly serious subject is absolutely mindblowing to me.. it's downright embarassing for me to read posts like yours and knowing that in 2021 people haven't figured it out yet...

.. and according to the statement she did try to tell a bunch of folks and either no one believed her or thought it wasn't a big deal and she should be bragging about sleeping with an NHLer.  Based on a bunch of the comments here, I can absolutely believe that was the response.

I didn't realize that the appropriate first question when someone tells you about being sexually assaulted is supposed to be ".. but was the perpetrator good at hockey?"

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Who cares it happened 4 years ago?

The only reason that could matter is Jake may not have been an "adult" under the law.

Other than that it does not matter, how long ago.

That said, it is up to the law and courts as to what happens now.

It is what they do, we should leave it to them.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

.. and according to the statement she did try to tell a bunch of folks and either no one believed her or thought it wasn't a big deal and she should be bragging about sleeping with an NHLer.  Based on a bunch of the comments here, I can absolutely believe that was the response.

I didn't realize that the appropriate first question when someone tells you about being sexually assaulted is supposed to be ".. but was the perpetrator good at hockey?"

Which is exactly why it's disgusting that people would believe that it "seems fishy" it would take some 4 years to report it. Rich and powerful people get away these heinous acts constantly because of the victims fear. If even the victim's friends weren't able to give her proper support, how incredibly terrifying would it be coming forward knowing that it could potentially turn all of Vancouver against you for incriminating a home town hero.

• Cheers 1