The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I have no worries about JB re-signing rhino. Thing is we need buffalo to take some salary i dont see any other way we can do it.

No reason they can’t take Roussel back in a trade.

He’s still an effective bottom 6 player with lots of character.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I have no worries about JB re-signing rhino. Thing is we need buffalo to take some salary i dont see any other way we can do it.

Maybe our 9OA for Rhino looks more fair if we get to dump Loui on them too?

9OA and Loui for Rhino?

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

No reason they can’t take Roussel back in a trade.

He’s still an effective bottom 6 player with lots of character.

Yeah i agree even loui is only 3 mill actual money and buffalo wont be near the cap max  anyways. JB needs to figure this out cause i really wouldnt mind to keep beagle for our 4th line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah i agree even loui is only 3 mill actual money and buffalo wont be near the cap max  anyways. JB needs to figure this out cause i really wouldnt mind to keep beagle for our 4th line.

They may actually need salary just to reach the floor no?

If they trade Eichel, Ristolainen, and Reinhart in one offseason they’re gonna need cap dumps.

1 hour ago, WestCoastDave said:

Instead of us losing our 9th overall pick straight up as part of the deal for Reinhart, why couldn't we get Buffalo's 2nd round pick back in return (yes, you might have to make a bigger deal)?  The pick is early enough for our scouting staff to have a shot at drafting a useable player.

This trade, will not be straight up 9OA for Reinhart. That will be the backbone of a trade, but there will be other balancing that takes place. We need to send salary back and Buffalo will probably want another prospect in exchange. A deal that might work would be:

To Buffalo

9OA, Gadjovich, Eriksson with 2 million retained

To Vancouver, Reinhart, 4th round pick

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe our 9OA for Rhino looks more fair if we get to dump Loui on them too?

9OA and Loui for Rhino?

Considering that it recently cost Toronto a first just to dump Marleau's contract, I don't see how a slightly higher first gets rid of an even worse contract and gets us Rino too.  We have to give more, probably a good bit more.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This trade, will not be straight up 9OA for Reinhart. That will be the backbone of a trade, but there will be other balancing that takes place. We need to send salary back and Buffalo will probably want another prospect in exchange. A deal that might work would be:

To Buffalo

9OA, Gadjovich, Eriksson with 2 million retained

To Vancouver, Reinhart, 4th round pick

Id be fine with that

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Considering that it recently cost Toronto a first just to dump Marleau's contract, I don't see how a slightly higher first gets rid of an even worse contract and gets us Rino too.  We have to give more, probably a good bit more.

All depends how much buffalo wants that 9OA pick

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Miller, who is a far superior player on a way better contract, only cost us 20OA.  Why in the heck would Benning pay more (9OA) for a lesser player on a worse contract?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller, who is a far superior player on a way better contract, only cost us 20OA.  Why in the heck would Benning pay more (9OA) for a lesser player on a worse contract?  

Simple:  we weren't packing an anchor like Loui's contract in the Miller deal.  Even for only one year, it's a major negative value.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No… Miller cost us a possible/probable unprotected lottery pick.  That was factored into the equation

It was a pretty good bet at the time that we would miss the playoffs both years and end up with a top 10 pick. 

What it ended up being doesn’t bear any relation to what the trade actually was when it was consummated.  Add that to the salary cap pressure point they had and Buffalo doesn’t and the two deals and situations bear no resemblance to each other.

12 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

While it would be amazing to shed Loui… if you could move Roussel or Beagle in that deal instead of “little things” it is still a good one and probably more realistic.

Edited by Provost

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That pick only became a 20th long after the trade was complete though.

Tampa was banking on that being a much higher pick. And it was a safe bet based on where we were finishing in the standings.

They ultimately lost on that gamble but still won by flipping the pick for Coleman and winning the cup.

Comparing the trades one for one isn’t really accurate.

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Simple:  we weren't packing an anchor like Loui's contract in the Miller deal.  Even for only one year, it's a major negative value.

Yes, if we can dumperoo Loui with the 9OA, then Rhino is fair value.  

Just now, Provost said:

While it would be amazing to shed Loui… if you could move Roussel or Beagle in that deal instead of “little things” it is still a good one and probably more realistic.

For sure:  Roussel can still play a bit, certainly compared to Loui and at half the cap hit.  But then we'd have to scramble to fit Rino under the cap next year, probably at the expense of our already shaky D corps.  So I don't see it happening, unless we pony up to move Loui too, at whatever the cost would be.

Just now, Alflives said:

Yes, if we can dumperoo Loui with the 9OA, then Rhino is fair value.  

That’s not fair for Buffalo at all.

You’d have to add a good prospect to that deal or at the very least our 2nd. Other teams will offer just as much without a cap dump.

Reinhart is only 25 and a guaranteed 50-60 point player about to enter his prime. Would you be happy if we traded a player like that for a 9th overall and a cap dump?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s not fair for Buffalo at all.

You’d have to add a good prospect to that deal or at the very least our 2nd. Other teams will offer just as much without a cap dump.

Reinhart is only 25 and a guaranteed 50-60 point player about to enter his prime. Would you be happy if we traded a player like that for a 9th overall and a cap dump?

If we weren't contending anyway and the cap dump was for one year, I'd be fine with that, considering Buffalo is in a similar situation to what we went through with Kesler.