The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

People are free to follow whatever teams they wish. However any Canuck fans who change allegiances for the team down the highway are not a brand of fan I wanted to be associated with.

Funny you mention the Seahawks. They’ve been one of my top two favourite teams (just SLIGHTLY after the Canucks) since I was a kid. Like the Canucks, they had a long history of mediocrity. Over the years I had a few buddies who migrated towards other, more trendy (and winning) teams, like the Cowboys or Giants etc. I NEVER abandoned the Seahawks. And when they finally won the Super Bowl I finally felt that FEELING that I had watch other teams fans have over the years. I still have that game recorded on my PVR.

I am going to stick with the Canucks in the hope they provide the exultation I felt when the Seahawks won it all. Maybe it never happens in my lifetime…it certainly doesn’t look like it will happen in my fathers….and chances are decent that the Kraken win a Cup before the Nucks do. But A TRUE CANUCK FAN holds out for feeling this joy someday, and they don’t remotely consider hitching their wagon to a new, shiny toy like the Seattle Kraken. Those folks who do that I hold in a fair amount of contempt.

Like I'm always going to be a Canucks fan, but when you see more failure then postive in your life time and continue to support a team that just can't seem to win the big prize over and over and over again, you do eventually loose interest, you still hope they win it but the interest to follow them as close as you did before slowly goes away. I've always said if this team had won a cup already I would be way less critical, be way more patient, but the patience has run out because this franchise has cliffs they just struggle to climb.

Here's my honest opinion on this team and core going forward (Pipe Bomb). I don't think they have it for down the road to go deep for a playoff run. The only guy imo who is built for it is Horvat, the rest aren't their undersized players who will be pushed around constantly, everyone knows what the Sedins flaw was as skilled, and smart players that they were, they weren't built strong enough for the playoffs, that's the exact same players you're getting with this core going forward except the one Horvat. The core players are very skillled players no denying that they got talent, but Hughes, Brock, EP, Hoglander now, all these players who take one bad hit and are done in the playoffs. Quite frankly I don't see any filling out as big and strong enough like Horvat, if I had to pick one maybe Brock he has some potential hopefully he does that will help them. Heck just watching highlights from the Tampa and Florida series how rough that is, and people here loose their mind when EP got pushed down to the ice last year, the playoff are way grittier I just don't see these core guys being strong enough to handle it down the road, except for Horvat.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Okay then. Your the last person that should have an opinion on anything Canucks. Just because he's not always articulate, doesn't mean he's dumb or bad at his job...although some of you make that the narrative. There are a lot people who are not articulate / bad at public speaking, but are very smart and good at what they do. 

Babcock had five main words.   And just said them with conviction.   And was always predicated with this beauty "Gotta" 

For example, and to make it quick G is for "gotta".

"G get pucks"

"G get shots" 

"G win battles"

"G shoot the puck"

" G fore check (notice it's the same thing so far?" 

" G make it hard" 

Seriously prefer the passive aggressive somewhat cerebral stuff TG says.   Babcock talks about himself in the third person and thinks/thought he needed to coach the media too.   Abrasive stuff. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

• Follow up:  When these players played, why were they benched over minor mistakes while underperforming vets were given free reign

This is similar critique Dahlen said about Utica. 

I believe Benning have misunderstood the word character and let that word stand only for fighting yourself into a line.

What they missed about the word character is that it's used by people like Inge H. is that it means the player trains hard and focus on hockey. Virtanen likes to party, that isn't character. So I don't know what Benning believes is charachter as he gave Jake a new contract(if character is important for Benning)

And, when you bench a player that thrives on creativity, you block them. 

Those players stop develop their play and get into drone mode. That is really bad if you're after three scoring lines.

By the way Benning, next time you want three scoring lines. Sign the cheap offensive weapons like Toffoli. 

The summer will be very interesting.

Can one of the mods do a sticky thread where we have the quotes from Benning what he will do til next season. 

Then we all can check what came true.

We can even have a competion between us where we guess how many quotes that will come true. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

Okay then. Your the last person that should have an opinion on anything Canucks. Just because he's not always articulate, doesn't mean he's dumb or bad at his job...although some of you make that the narrative. There are a lot people who are not articulate / bad at public speaking, but are very smart and good at what they do. 

And then they get a job where they arwn't talking to media, owners, other GMs.

It's quite easy... 

• Cheers 1

I'm glad to see the plan is to make another batch of short-sighted moves like in 2019 to make the playoffs and attempt to save his job again.

No interest in building a stable contender.

Edited by Josepho
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Don’t confuse public speaking with intelligence. You’ll have to help me out with eruditation, I couldn’t find it in the dictionary.

Scholarship might be close.

Compare Obama with Trump and you might get my drift. 

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

That's cool! I do watch some music and DJ live streams on Twitch so I get that for sure. Chess is a very interesting stream I wouldn't have thought of. Learn something new every day! 

there is definitely adult content out there in twitch land, not very much. but some users have 30+ age for viewership. There is also stock traders, but most of them are memey, or day traders.

cooking shows,art and crafts, i think there is a live bounty hunter show. dating shows, podcasts, thots, game shows. this is free content, so only the top maybe 5-10% is actually watchable

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Yeah, no! He / others are fine. Just because you / a few others make issue of it, doesn't mean it's an issue for all. 

It's an issue for every company that handles as much money as the Canucks organisation does.

This is not the guy that sells donuts. 

I like what I heard this morning. I just hope that when he said he was disappointed in the 23-24 yr old players not taking the next step, he was referring to Jake and Gaud and not Big Mac. I don't want to lose MacEwen :(  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Because this is a Canucks Forum not squid forum.   Or is it an octopus.   I don't know.   Kraken fans i suppose will get a certain element of traitors and for that i say good riddance.   Just makes the rivalry that much better.   Sure you don't really mean it though.   Chuck Norris baby finger "skadooshs" traitors like kung-fu panda in a single twitch.   Chuck Norris might pay you a visit too so watch out or you could face this ....Chuck Norris Karate Kick GIF

Oh ok everyone you're now not allowed to talk or post an image of any other team in the NHL when your on a Canucks forum, hmm gotcha.

You know what's funny before this season started you came into the Coronavirus topic and told people to start talking about hockey again and drop all the covid drama talk because the season was getting ready to go. My response to you was you don't want me coming over there because I'm going to be talking about Green and wanting him fired and why is Loui Eriksson still here. You brought me here this year :lol:

12 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I'm glad to see the plan is to make another batch of short-sighted moves like in 2019 to make the playoffs and attempt to save his job again.

No interest in building a stable contender.

How exactly did what Jim say bring you to that conclusion?

10 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

How exactly did what Jim say bring you to that conclusion?

He also said to Faber that free agency and trading picks was on the table.

This is a redux of 2019's offseason. Jim Benning doesn't care about building a consistent contender, he cares about barely squeaking into the playoffs and saving his job. He says "anything can happen", when the playoffs historically favour the higher seeded teams. He isn't smart enough to manage the cap well enough to make this team a consistent contender. He is very obviously not the guy to help this team take the next step but our dumb and cheap owner likes pushing him around too much to fire him.

I can't wait until we stupidly pay up for Barrie/OEL.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

He also said to Faber that free agency and trading picks was on the table.

This is a redux of 2019's offseason. Jim Benning doesn't care about building a consistent contender, he cares about barely squeaking into the playoffs and saving his job. He says "anything can happen", when the playoffs historically favour the higher seeded teams. He isn't smart enough to manage the cap well enough to make this team a consistent contender.

He's tried to make the playoffs every single season since he arrived (nothing wrong with that per se, but a proper rebuild sure was needed) and has failed spectacularly for the most part.

• Upvote 1