The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

3 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Woo is build like a fire hydrant, 205 lbs, Bieksa size and prides himself on the defensive side of the game.  

Lind was a feisty high point score in the WHL and could be a Corey Perry light.

Pod will come in and be our next Calder trophy candidate.   All will drop the gloves if needed.

Woo is 20, Pod is 19 so this team will be ready in about 5 years then... 

tony the tiger swerk GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Woo is build like a fire hydrant, 205 lbs, Bieksa size and prides himself on the defensive side of the game.  

Lind was a feisty high point score in the WHL and could be a Corey Perry light.

Pod will come in and be our next Calder trophy candidate.   All will drop the gloves if needed.

Unless these two forces there way into the roster and just based on Greens past tendency (in the past) with unknown rookies - they will be doing alot of marinating in the sideline.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it - ultimately, it is Aquaman who is setting the expectations and mandate of the team.  Yeah, the presser was a real downer cause it seems like alot of empty platitudes rather than a clear reflection  of learning from the past.  Get ready for the offseason: Aggressive = Desperation; let's enjoy the Green & Friends show and good chance, a few overpayments for great intangibles or nostalgic signings to fill the rosters.

I do wonder what factors or voices Aquaman is considering when making his decisions: season ticket holders ?

Definitely a little surprising for the ticket season holders, especially when you have a new team joining the league a couple hours away, and how everyone has seen how well the last team has done since they joined the league, he's taking a huge gamble financially on this management and coaching group that I believe will hurt him, because I don't see much changing, a team fighting to make a playoff spot but relying on a goalie 75% of the time because of the coaching, seen the same crap now for 4 years under Green and haven't seen any improvements, just the same thing. One factor that has me completely sold on Green not being good enough was watching them earlier this year and coming out flat for the first period too many times this year, in Greens 4th year of coaching the players are still not prepared half the time for the start of games, but according to Francesco Greens been improving every year, again not drinking this Kool-aid crap anymore.

43 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I get it they were young, but I don't see them filling out enough or growing as tall as Vegas was. They need more guys like a Virtanen or Ferlund size, but they need to get players who can actually produce and actually stay healthy and play lol, but if they don't find a couple of those type of players for these core players, the core is a complete waste because physically they won't be able to carrry this team deep in a playoff run no way.

Agree 100%. We’ll see how much they fill out. 
also, what you stated above, is exactly the reason, we should cut Benning some slack regarding the Virtanen pick. He was exactly what we need now, had he lived up to expectation. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

also, what you stated above, is exactly the reason, we should cut Benning some slack regarding the Virtanen pick. He was exactly what we need now, had he lived up to expectation. 

Virtanen LOL. Look at the board in his draft year lots of better options. Virtanen and Juolevi are wasted picks . period . 

• RoughGame 1

41 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Gadjovich is the one who has some size on him who will be the one you hope pans out, the others you mention again won't help them for a grittier playoffs, Woo is tiny, Lind isn't that big lol, Pod well time will tell he is Russian so they can be pretty strong, but how he adapts to the NHL will be the test. Heck Gusev who was the KHL leading scorer for a couple years I believe before coming to the NHL had a bad year this year and everyone already saying he's done, the leading scorer in the KHL has one bad year in his 2nd NHL year and he's supposedly already done according to some people on CDC. So before everyone pencils in Pod as this superstar already give it time first and see, may not pan out and if he has a bad year then maybe people on CDC will say he's done then as well :lol:

Woo is not tiny. He's a very physical defenseman.

• Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I'm not mad at him for picking Virtanen I was in favor of it and was a huge supporter of Virtanen, I do question how he was managed here though especially with Green and trying to turn him into a Bo Horvat type player instead of just trying to improve his game, if they really wanted a two way player more then they should of drafted that instead, but they drafted a power forward and instead of trying to improve his game in what his strengths were already, they decided to try and turn him into a two way player more then try and improve offensive game and just turn him into an offensive threat with his size and strength, and I blame Green for that because his coaching system is more of a defensive style then offense style, hence why they rely on the goalie every year under his system, just garbage. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Virtanen LOL. Look at the board in his draft year lots of better options. Virtanen and Juolevi are wasted picks . period . 

Yes in hindsight we’re all fantastic a drafting. A big body, skates like the wind, hits and scores lots of goals.... if a similar player was in this draft, would you say no to that at our position. I wanted Ehlers, but can/could totally understand the pick. He just didn’t do enough with his god given talent. You can not legislate for that...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Definitely a little surprising for the ticket season holders, especially when you have a new team joining the league a couple hours away, and how everyone has seen how well the last team has done since they joined the league, he's taking a huge gamble financially on this management and coaching group that I believe will hurt him, because I don't see much changing, a team fighting to make a playoff spot but relying on a goalie 75% of the time because of the coaching, seen the same crap now for 4 years under Green and haven't seen any improvements, just the same thing. One factor that has me completely sold on Green not being good enough was watching them earlier this year and coming out flat for the first period too many times this year, in Greens 4th year of coaching the players are still not prepared half the time for the start of games, but according to Francesco Greens been improving every year, again not drinking this Kool-aid crap anymore.

Ditto, the Green resigning and if you listened to the presser - both JB & Green acknowledged that the problem is the lack of talent with no clear acknowledgement of any potential changes to Greens system.  I would argue, that a Coach is really defined with the success he can have with a lesser roster cause if you can outcoach other coaches when the talent level is subpar compared to another then - you get the idea.  Green has miscasted or misused a few of the players; likes playing the vets (while the vets continues to let him down) and the only reasons, we see the rookies getting in the lineup is because they had surpass the coaches expectations & they are forced to a play them; otherwise, they marinate in the sideline.  Hope, he is a different coach based what we had seen cause his record as a coach, even with a semi re vamp roster is still the same.   Ultimately, this on Aquaman and with hindsight a total rebuild a few years back would had been the prudent move but there is no appetite among the season ticket holders (the important fans) for a bottoming out season; and this is - perhaps - the group that would have an affect on Aquaman decisions making.

Ron Francis just like McPhee with the generous expansion rules will perhaps be a closer Vegas; perhaps the real reason for the Aggressive off season which really mean band aid solutions/desperation at the cost of the future.  Still hoping for a balanced offseason with the main focus on patience and reflection on past mistakes.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm not mad at him for picking Virtanen I was in favor of it and was a huge supporter of Virtanen, I do question how he was managed here though especially with Green and trying to turn him into a Bo Horvat type player instead of just trying to improve his game, if they really wanted a two way player more then they should of drafted that instead, but they drafted a power forward and instead of trying to improve his game in what his strengths were already, they decided to try and turn him into a two way player more then try and improve offensive game and just turn him into an offensive threat with his size and strength, and I blame Green for that because his coaching system is more of a defensive style then offense style, hence why they rely on the goalie every year under his system, just garbage. 

True Green was a offensive player and had to adapt and it seems he wants everyone to adapt as he did. . Some players cant adjust JV is a all go type guy and Green took the racehorse out of him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Maybe yes and maybe no... it does take two to tango... and Virtanen showing up totally out of shape each pre season, whete other spent the summers trying to get into tip top shape, said it all to me.... 

I’ve supported him throughout, but he never gave that extra notchthat could have turned him into a star... that is not on the coach...

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe yes and maybe no... it does take two to tango... and Virtanen showing up totally out of shape each pre season, whete other spent the summers trying to get into tip top shape, said it all to me.... 

I’ve supported him throughout, but he never gave that extra notchthat could have turned him into a star... that is not on the coach...

In shape but not Green shape! As a player, that's on you! Even last summer he spent time with Myers in the Okanagan, yet he didn't get the message.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

In shape but not Green shape! As a player, that's on you! Even last summer he spent time with Myers in the Okanagan, yet he didn't get the message.

I think arguably, it was too late. These habits are years in the making.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto, the Green resigning and if you listened to the presser - both JB & Green acknowledged that the problem is the lack of talent with no clear acknowledgement of any potential changes to Greens system.  I would argue, that a Coach is really defined with the success he can have with a lesser roster cause if you can outcoach other coaches when the talent level is subpar compared to another then - you get the idea.  Green has miscasted or misused a few of the players; likes playing the vets (while the vets continues to let him down) and the only reasons, we see the rookies getting in the lineup is because they had surpass the coaches expectations & they are forced to a play them; otherwise, they marinate in the sideline.  Hope, he is a different coach based what we had seen cause his record as a coach, even with a semi re vamp roster is still the same.   Ultimately, this on Aquaman and with hindsight a total rebuild a few years back would had been the prudent move but there is no appetite among the season ticket holders (the important fans) for a bottoming out season; and this is - perhaps - the group that would have an affect on Aquaman decisions making.

Lack of talent, so the young players they have now don't have enough talent, is what they're saying. EP, Brock, Hughes, Hoglander, Horvat, Miller, not enough talent, they need more of that, but when the system they play is more about being defensive getting more talent isn't going to change, if anything because of the system Green has it will limit them from scoring more because they need to be better defensively for his system to work in his eyes. They need to aquire a couple big forwards who can generate offensive with their size and drive to the net, and Green needs to let them try without having them on a tight leash to generate more offense but because of his defensive system this will always be a problem going forward, hence why he's the wrong fit going forward. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lack of talent, so the young players they have now don't have enough talent, is what they're saying. EP, Brock, Hughes, Hoglander, Horvat, Miller, not enough talent, they need more of that, but when the system they play is more about being defensive getting more talent isn't going to change, if anything because of the system Green has it will limit them from scoring more because they need to be better defensively for his system to work in his eyes. They need to aquire a couple big forwards who can generate offensive with their size and drive to the net, and Green needs to let them try without having them on a tight leash to generate more offense but because of his defensive system this will always be a problem going forward, hence why he's the wrong fit going forward. 

Yeah, Green based on his record has failed with this roster and I am not confident the team will have a better record, even if McD is in the team.  A talented player if misused or miscasted is just wasted and it seems from the outside, that he likes playing mental games (as well).  Hope he proves us wrong and plays four lines rather than the usual deployment of two lines & four D...

JB did mention the flat cap and the teams cap situation so - I am expecting an older Edler & Sutter resigning for nostalgic reasons to appease the important fan base; a great intangibles player to take minutes away from the youths and a one sided trade for perhaps a Reinhart type player (who is one year away from RFA).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 3