The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

3 hours ago, tas said:

being a fan takes faith. being a critic is borne of skepticism. 

Dumbest thing I ever heard, I’ve been a hard core fan since day one, just like any other real fan I want us to win the Cup. All my lifes experiences tells me Green is the wrong coach to get us that Cup thus I voice my opinion as that is the whole point of this forum.

Faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something, that’s just stupid, if my staff had complete trust in me I’d be a lousy manager, they challenge me and we all grow.

Most everyone here has beefs with some part of the team, look at the hate for Jake or Loui or Brown, it’s just mainstream so it’s accepted and pretty much everyone jumps on those bandwagons. Come Benning or Green, for some reason anyone opposed is criticized.

You want to blindly follow, that’s your thing but do not think for one second I’m less of a fan than you or you’re somehow better than me because I voice my opinion.

If I didn’t care I wouldn’t be here.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Francesco is a billionaire.  You don't become a billionaire by being weak and succumbing to fan pressure.  The guy literally took the team away from Gaglardi, doing a backroom deal with McCaw behind Gaglardi's back and had to go to court to win the battle.  We are talking about a tough cookie here.  An Italian tough cookie.  

Francesco has been a fan and season ticket holder since he was a kid.  He lived across the street from Pacific Coliseum and went to all the games.  He is a bigger fan and wants to win a Cup more than any one of us.  If he felt he needed to fire everyone he would.  He's not going to listen to any of us and get pressured because some idiot flew a plane over the City with a "Fire Benning" banner on it.

At the end of the say Francesco knows exactly what he is doing.  He tried the retool on the fly when the Sedins were still around and it didn't work.  So now he is rebuilding this team from scratch.  Just like building a hirise you are going to have bumps in the road, cost overruns and delayed completions.  Same is true of the hockey team.  At the end of the day Francesco has built a great foundation and, just like a hirise, that is the most important part of the building.  Without a great foundation the building will eventually fall over and get destroyed.

Some fans may not like the timeline of how long this team has taken to get to this point, but Francesco doesn't care.  It's his money, he can do what he wants.  If you don't like it go cheer for the Kraken.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this forum, but some on here just come to troll every day to piss everyone else off.  That is not a fan.  And we know who those posters are.  

Francesco isn't without fault here, neither is Benning nor Green.  They have all made mistakes.  But Francesco is keeping everyone together for at least one more year for stability after the worst COVID outbreak of any sports team and is giving everyone another chance to fix the problem.  Let's see what happens next year.

Francesco is only a billionaire because of mommy and daddy and their real estate empire 

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, Dazzle said:

I think we all have had different (sometimes opposing) opinions on the owners, the management, the coaches, and even the players. I think that after much deliberation, FA decided to calm things down, much like he has done in the past, by keeping everyone. I think this is the RIGHT move.

There has been A LOT of talk about Benning being someone that a player doesn't want to 'play for', which is ridiculous. And there's been A LOT of talk about Green (and his assistants) being incompetent at their jobs. That being said, we as fans are not privy to how well they work together. I am certain that for an owner to find scapegoats, he could have easily blamed others and given into fan pressure.

YET he doesn't, at least not in a way that 'fans' wanted it.

Therefore, this stabilizing move differs significantly from teams like Calgary, Montreal and even Buffalo, where all (or many) of the coaches were let go of their respective teams. FA is demonstrating again that he is a STABLE owner who is not pressured by ignorant 'fans'. I know that I've criticized Green, but I really don't have any more information about what he's like in the room. For all we know, he could have tried his absolute best, and never threw people under the buses publicly or privately. Benning may also be in fact a good guy. He may have tried his best as well, without resorting to scapegoating.

Upon reflecting on these new developments, I think we should be lucky we have FA as an owner. The relationships made on this team from top down are most definitely NOT as toxic as 'fans' and media have portraying it to be. We should all be appreciative of stability. Hopefully everyone does better next year. We have a compassionate owner who UNDERSTANDS that COVID affected this team a lot.

Let's try not to generalize people again, moving forward. Reddit fans are largely toxic by comparison (not all). I believe that as fans, we can all do better, including myself. Let's not foster anymore toxicity. There's clearly no toxicity on this team, from top down. Trying to force this narrative is dishonest.

Is this post a joke?

• RoughGame 2

9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Dumbest thing I ever heard, I’ve been a hard core fan since day one, just like any other real fan I want us to win the Cup. All my lifes experiences tells me Green is the wrong coach to get us that Cup thus I voice my opinion as that is the whole point of this forum.

Faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something, that’s just stupid, if my staff had complete trust in me I’d be a lousy manager, they challenge me and we all grow.

Most everyone here has beefs with some part of the team, look at the hate for Jake or Loui or Brown, it’s just mainstream so it’s accepted and pretty much everyone jumps on those bandwagons. Come Benning or Green, for some reason anyone opposed is criticized.

You want to blindly follow, that’s your thing but do not think for one second I’m less of a fan than you or you’re somehow better than me because I voice my opinion.

If I didn’t care I wouldn’t be here.

I'm not suggesting you need to have compete faith in every decision made by every person, but having faith in the intention, that everyone is pulling in the same direction, working towards the same goal. shredding people who are on the same team as you is pretty $&!#ty. mistakes are made. things that seem like great ideas sometimes don't pan out that way. but villifying people that you should be rooting for makes you a petulant little brat.

cheer these people on until the decision makers decide change is needed instead of acting like the coach and gm are enemies. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, it is the players who will ultimately determine the tenure & legacy of the coaches - hopefully, he will continue to evolve and learn from the past.  It seems enough players fought for him to be brought back - good on him.

hope we all do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, proof is the pudding 

Team record under Green and Friends tutelage (except Clark cause his goaltenders is probably a good reason why it is not as bad) 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2023

7B68B5C4-5328-47AA-8F9B-D0B7AA127311.png

Coaching record with Canucks.

Willie Dejardins (3 years)

GP:246  W:109  L:110  OL:27

Travis Green (4 years)

GP:282  W:122  L:129  OL:31

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo is an ox.  He’s been a big body since he was two.  Petey and Hughes are different frames than ?Both, but will absolutely be heavier and stronger as they physically mature.  We need players with skill, smarts, compete, and character.  Clearly Benning is building a group with those qualities.  

EP is not going to turn into some Forsberg strength, he will mature into similar to the Sedins who couldn't drive the puck to the net, EP doesn't have a twin to cycle with to create space, clearly Benning is building a team of small skilled forwards who will be physically dominated late in playoff rounds all that skill won't matter if they can't protect themselves or drive to the net, can't rely on perimeter play.

20 hours ago, spook007 said:

True to a certain extend....

Our best players were/are still quite young... It was actually amazing they went as far as they did... Expect Brock, EP etc being far stronger next time around.

I get it they were young, but I don't see them filling out enough or growing as tall as Vegas was. They need more guys like a Virtanen or Ferlund size, but they need to get players who can actually produce and actually stay healthy and play lol, but if they don't find a couple of those type of players for these core players, the core is a complete waste because physically they won't be able to carrry this team deep in a playoff run no way.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The support players are coming.  Gadjovich, Lind, Pod, Woo.   Also need gritty, tough, fast bottom 6 players like Appleton, Copp, Carrier and Reeves. 

Gadjovich is the one who has some size on him who will be the one you hope pans out, the others you mention again won't help them for a grittier playoffs, Woo is tiny, Lind isn't that big lol, Pod well time will tell he is Russian so they can be pretty strong, but how he adapts to the NHL will be the test. Heck Gusev who was the KHL leading scorer for a couple years I believe before coming to the NHL had a bad year this year and everyone already saying he's done, the leading scorer in the KHL has one bad year in his 2nd NHL year and he's supposedly already done according to some people on CDC. So before everyone pencils in Pod as this superstar already give it time first and see, may not pan out and if he has a bad year then maybe people on CDC will say he's done then as well :lol:

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Travis Green (4 years)

Yeah, the win/loss record is not particularly flattering for Green, and was one of the major reasons why I thought he should've been replaced. If WD wasn't good enough, and he had a far more inferior roster, why would Green be?

That being said, his players love playing for him, clearly. If they wanted him gone, he would've been. His contract was up, so Benning (or whoever) could've looked for someone else. Yet the re-signing demonstrates that FA is giving everyone a new leaf for two years. He knows he's gonna get bashed for it, but nobody wants to see anyone fired. The players don't hate Benning nor Green.

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I get it they were young, but I don't see them filling out enough or growing as tall as Vegas was. They need more guys like a Virtanen or Ferlund size, but they need to get players who can actually produce and actually stay healthy and play lol, but if they don't find a couple of those type of players for these core players, the core is a complete waste because physically they won't be able to carrry this team deep in a playoff run no way.

GettyImages-1157475091-1024x683.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Gadjovich is the one who has some size on him who will be the one you hope pans out, the others you mention again won't help them for a grittier playoffs, Woo is tiny, Lind isn't that big lol, Pod well time will tell he is Russian so they can be pretty strong, but how he adapts to the NHL will be the test. Heck Gusev who was the KHL leading scorer for a couple years I believe before coming to the NHL had a bad year this year and everyone already saying he's done, the leading scorer in the KHL has one bad year in his 2nd NHL year and he's supposedly already done according to some people on CDC. So before everyone pencils in Pod as this superstar already give it time first and see, may not pan out and if he has a bad year then maybe people on CDC will say he's done then as well :lol:

Elite Prospects has Woo as 6’ and 205 lbs.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, the win/loss record is not particularly flattering for Green, and was one of the major reasons why I thought he should've been replaced. If WD wasn't good enough, and he had a far more inferior roster, why would Green be?

That being said, his players love playing for him, clearly. If they wanted him gone, he would've been. His contract was up, so Benning (or whoever) could've looked for someone else. Yet the re-signing demonstrates that FA is giving everyone a new leaf for two years. He knows he's gonna get bashed for it, but nobody wants to see anyone fired. The players don't hate Benning nor Green.

Well when the owner of the team comes out and says that Green has shown improvements every year, for the reasoning for resigning him again, well I just give up, that's complete crap and the record shows that. I don't trust anything anymore that comes out of this management or owners mouth anymore, just nothing but crap.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Woo is build like a fire hydrant, 205 lbs, Bieksa size and prides himself on the defensive side of the game.  

Lind was a feisty high point score in the WHL and could be a Corey Perry light.

Pod will come in and be our next Calder trophy candidate.   All will drop the gloves if needed.

46 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Travis Green (4 years)

I get it - ultimately, it is Aquaman who is setting the expectations and mandate of the team.  Yeah, the presser was a real downer cause it seems like alot of empty platitudes rather than a clear reflection of learning past mistakes.  Get ready for the offseason: Aggressive = Desperation or band aid solution at the cost of unkown lottery tickets; let's enjoy the Green & Friends show and good chance, a few overpayments for great intangibles or nostalgic signings to fill the rosters.

I do wonder what factors or voices Aquaman is considering when making his decisions: season ticket holders ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

We are stuck with Green , Green needs to adjust with the times, The Defensive systems in place are on Green he is the one that signs off on how his team plays. Same with the power play Green signs off on that as well. The coaches are directed by Green period . Green can only ice a team provided by Benning . 

The product on the ICE is on Benning period. So 2 more years of HEE HAW. From what I can see is we need two Big D men Cernak, Rutta, or Hakanpaa types

Low price tags . One big 3rd line center with speed but can play and can be mean. Our first may be in play to get one of the pieces. Trade Schmidt for the center. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

A whole 2 inches taller then Hughes wow that's really going to shut down top power forwards in the NHL 

Excited Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I never suggested he was The Hulk, just pointing out that 6’ and 205 lbs isn’t tiny. I’d like more size and grit on the team as well but I think Woo gives you at least  some of that when and if he makes the team.

• Cheers 1