The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I think we all have had different (sometimes opposing) opinions on the owners, the management, the coaches, and even the players. I think that after much deliberation, FA decided to calm things down, much like he has done in the past, by keeping everyone. I think this is the RIGHT move.

There has been A LOT of talk about Benning being someone that a player doesn't want to 'play for', which is ridiculous. And there's been A LOT of talk about Green (and his assistants) being incompetent at their jobs. That being said, we as fans are not privy to how well they work together. I am certain that for an owner to find scapegoats, he could have easily blamed others and given into fan pressure.

YET he doesn't, at least not in a way that 'fans' wanted it.

Therefore, this stabilizing move differs significantly from teams like Calgary, Montreal and even Buffalo, where all (or many) of the coaches were let go of their respective teams. FA is demonstrating again that he is a STABLE owner who is not pressured by ignorant 'fans'. I know that I've criticized Green, but I really don't have any more information about what he's like in the room. For all we know, he could have tried his absolute best, and never threw people under the buses publicly or privately. Benning may also be in fact a good guy. He may have tried his best as well, without resorting to scapegoating.

Upon reflecting on these new developments, I think we should be lucky we have FA as an owner. The relationships made on this team from top down are most definitely NOT as toxic as 'fans' and media have portraying it to be. We should all be appreciative of stability. Hopefully everyone does better next year. We have a compassionate owner who UNDERSTANDS that COVID affected this team a lot.

Let's try not to generalize people again, moving forward. Reddit fans are largely toxic by comparison (not all). I believe that as fans, we can all do better, including myself. Let's not foster anymore toxicity. There's clearly no toxicity on this team, from top down. Trying to force this narrative is dishonest.

You're right, we've been constantly creeping near the bottom of the league with Green, both at the AHL and NHL level, so why change.  Stay the course, that will lead you somewhere...

I don't care if the guy is freaking Mother Theresa in the locker room, this is a result driven business and he has none to show for in 8 years in this organization.   

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 2
  • Vintage 1

Agreed.

I was maybe on the fence on Green at the point that I thought the players were rolling their eyes on the bench and had tuned him out.

If they're somewhat united in their support of him (hopefully it's not just for show) - then I like Green a lot.

Same with Benning - he's made some bad moves, but overall he's carried us forward.

These ugly speed-bumps that made up this year make us look worse than we are - stay the course, we're on the right track. I love that ownership has stood behind these guys even while all the talking heads are calling for changes.

Next year will be a good one.

The one after that even better.

Edited by nzan
  • Cheers 3

22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think we all have had different (sometimes opposing) opinions on the owners, the management, the coaches, and even the players. I think that after much deliberation, FA decided to calm things down, much like he has done in the past, by keeping everyone. I think this is the RIGHT move.

There has been A LOT of talk about Benning being someone that a player doesn't want to 'play for', which is ridiculous. And there's been A LOT of talk about Green (and his assistants) being incompetent at their jobs. That being said, we as fans are not privy to how well they work together. I am certain that for an owner to find scapegoats, he could have easily blamed others and given into fan pressure.

Therefore, this stabilizing move differs significantly from teams like Calgary, Montreal and even Buffalo, where all (or many) of the coaches were let go of their respective teams. FA is demonstrating again that he is a STABLE owner who is not pressured by ignorant 'fans'. I know that I've criticized Green, but I really don't have any more information about what he's like in the room. For all we know, he could have tried his absolute best, and never threw people under the buses publicly or privately. Benning may also be in fact a good guy. He may have tried his best as well, without resorting to scapegoating.

Upon reflecting on these new developments, I think we should be lucky we have FA as an owner. The relationships made on this team from top down are most definitely NOT as toxic as 'fans' and media have portraying it to be. We should all be appreciative of stability. Hopefully everyone does better next year. We have a compassionate owner who UNDERSTANDS that COVID affected this team a lot.

Let's try not to generalize people again, moving forward. Reddit fans are largely toxic by comparison (not all). I believe that as fans, we can all do better, including myself. Let's not foster anymore toxicity. There's clearly no toxicity on this team, from top down. Trying to force this narrative is dishonest.

Great points but the yearly results is a great indicator of how a team is progressing cause it has no bias - just results.  Ofcourse, with hindsight & context the yearly results can both be criticized & justified.  

Imo, the fan base (or a majority of the season ticket holders) will not accept the team from bottoming out and Aquaman knows this - so I will not be surprised if, Aquaman & JB continues to transact the way they had.  Hope I am wrong, that the Owners, JB and Green will continue to evolve and learn from the past (since 2014 - 2015 season, the Canucks have the 6th worst record in the NHL and they have not drafted higher than fifth & Aquaman, is always spending to the cap - baffling ?

79C2F4D9-30AC-4D3A-96A8-C5677D72DD47.png

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I have to say that a real leader is one who makes decisions on their own, DESPITE the significant criticism. If FA capitulated to the noisy fan pressure and all that talk about cancelling season tickets, he would have been a weak leader.

Clearly, management is not an easy job. Everyone is constantly looking to point fingers at you. FA just showed that you can still do the right thing under the most difficult circumstances. He really could've pin it on all the outgoing people, but it looks like he's a people person. He doesn't just look at the numbers.

I also have a greater appreciation for Green. Clearly, if the players wanted him gone, they would've spoken privately to Benning to fire him. Yet this was not the case, nor was the case that Baumer is an idiot and that everyone has 'tuned him out'. The reality is that respect goes both ways. I would imagine that the relationship within the room is still surprisingly good. Nobody wants each other in trouble. The team, as a whole, failed, but it's not any one single person's fault. That to me says the team is very accountable to themselves and there is no 'ego' factor.

Yeah, it is the players who will ultimately determine the tenure & legacy of the coaches - hopefully, he will continue to evolve and learn from the past.  It seems enough players fought for him to be brought back - good on him.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Not sure the bolded is a good start.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

OMG, WT F is this topic !   Some sort of love in ????   What kind of fan base do we have that has people willing to suffer through this ineptness year after year after year and then say their "OK with everything as is" ???  Holy Smoke!

The reason why 70% of fans are unhappy with the return of those two (according to todays poll on CHEK and most of the post on CDC) is because after 7 years we're still in the cellar of the league - AGAIN - and mainly because of Jim Benning's inability to ice a competitive team and TG inability to raise the efforts of this team.  JB might have scored a few wins in the drafting column but he's striked out on a few too and definitely with most Trades, Signings, Asset Management and General Management of this team. 

I need not repeat ALL the screw-ups he's made but bringing these two back is a mistake.   Wait until fans are in the seats next season and finally get to voice their opinions live-in-person with chants of FIRE BENNING - FIRE GREEN on live TV when we suffer through our eighth season of Failure and hopelessness.  This team needed change this year - and Aqua-Lini didn't have the courage to deliver!  Today's press conference  was all about smoke & mirrors.   Such a shame !

image.jpeg.14f5c9084a34fa0835277780ce802372.jpegBest Cat Chasing Mouse GIFs | Gfycatimage.jpeg.1b45820596cd450925d23c7254f35c73.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 5

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I have to say that a real leader is one who makes decisions on their own, DESPITE the significant criticism. If FA capitulated to the noisy fan pressure and all that talk about cancelling season tickets, he would have been a weak leader.

Clearly, management is not an easy job. Everyone is constantly looking to point fingers at you. FA just showed that you can still do the right thing under the most difficult circumstances. He really could've pin it on all the outgoing people, but it looks like he's a people person. He doesn't just look at the numbers.

I also have a greater appreciation for Green. Clearly, if the players wanted him gone, they would've spoken privately to Benning to fire him. Yet this was not the case, nor was the case that Baumer is an idiot and that everyone has 'tuned him out'. The reality is that respect goes both ways. I would imagine that the relationship within the room is still surprisingly good. Nobody wants each other in trouble. The team, as a whole, failed, but it's not any one single person's fault. That to me says the team is very accountable to themselves and there is no 'ego' factor.

Lots of assumptions in here.

Again, you dont know what is actually said behind the scenes. You know only what you are told by people with a strong self preservation motive to spin things in the best possible light. Those are very different things. 

The defensive system on this team is garbage. The results dont lie and neither does the eye test. Its still actually about the results on the ice, not whether everyone wants to have a beer with the coach. Its not mens league.

Accountability starts with accepting and owning your mistakes, and then fixing them. I heard nothing from Benning or Green suggesting they do or will. 

They actually missed a pretty big opportunity to win back a lot of nervous fans today. 

All I really wanted to hear from them is they know that they have made big missteps and as such things like the coaching systems will be changed to improve. And past signing practices will be reviewed to improve that. Those kinds of things and a bit of humility would have gone a long way to build confidence.

Bith Benning and Green are disliked by many simply because neither sees and admits anything they do is ever a mistake. If you dont see something as a mistske you can never actually fix it.

• Vintage 1

What a wonderful post to wake up to @Dazzle .

Couldn’t agree more if I tried... thank you. 

Whether we have agreed or disagreed with the owners, Bennings or Greens decisions I have heard nothing over the last few days, that suggests any of the ‘reported’ rumblings of discontent were true... On the contrary they all seem to be fine together.
Would they expect better? Absolutely sure they did, but after a season like no other, I definitely feel that management deserves a second chance. 

I do have a feeling that the management team as a whole may be on a shorter lead, but glad the owners didn’t do a knee jerk reaction after all the garbage this season threw at them. 

I’m sure, we will see a far better and more competitive team next season...

Onwards and upwards for ALL in Canucks nation. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

People who criticize Aquilini, Benning, Green, etc can still be actual fans of the team minus the "____" around it. Being critical and being a fan arent mutually exclusive. 

Criticism is better than apathy to a sports franchise. Thats simply a fact. People who criticize the team (and those who vehemently defend it too) have at least one thing in common, they give a &^@# about the team. People who dont give a &^@# dont complain or prsise.

If you want to encourage less toxicity around here, maybe start by simply accepting that other people's opinions are valid - even when you don't agree - and they are no less of a fan than you are.

While I actually agree that folks, who put their point of view out are likely more invested than others, even though they may see it differently, I only need to see the post after yours to shake my head....

I’d say it goes both ways... 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

While I actually agree that folks, who put their point of view out are likely more invested than others, even though they may see it differently, I only need to see the post after yours to shake my head....

I’d say it goes both ways... 

Yes it does.

But thats on both sides too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1