The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

14 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Criticism can be constructive and destructive. Part of destructive criticism is a non stop continued repetition of the same point of view. Destructive criticism never helped anyone.

I agree but the context of having a discussion with a different poster has to be taken in context and everyone does it from the: I am real fan club members to the miscellaneous; then what would the point of this site. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I will add that to my list of things to do today.

you see, therein lies the problem with wholly investing yourself in your own bogus narrative -- when confronted with the truth that the stuff you spew is nonsense, you're forced to close your eyes and jam your fingers in your ears and say "nananana I can't hear you!"

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don't come on here and pump jim's tires. but some spend 90% of their time on here saying the same things over and over.  how many anti benning posts have you commented on over the last 3 weeks? how many posts agreeing with somethings he's done were you in on.  you can't be negative all the time.

if that is what this site is going to be, i won't be coming on here much. you ended up not getting your wish. you can be unhappy with the way things went without telling us daily that jim is a bonehead. i know i can be a bonehead too.  we're all boneheads to somebody.

Yeah but Joe you're just as much of as bonehead as the rest of us. At least you're a cool dude, with a lot of life experience. Am I happy the way the season went? No.

Did Management screw up this last offseason, probably. Live and learn. Hopefully get better, and hopefully we won't have as much go off the rails as it did this season.

I for one Joe hope you have a lot more years ahead of you. And we keep seeing your posts on here.

Bottom line is you can clean house, and where does it get you? The new GM has to evaluate what you have. See who you'd want to keep, and want to trade, or if have anything that you can trade. Basically it puts the team in neutral until changes get made. A new GM is not going to trade everybody and start from scratch. And the team isn't that bad that it needs that. If people think getting a new GM waves a magic wand and we have a cup contender overnight you are very much mistaken.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don't come on here and pump jim's tires. but some spend 90% of their time on here saying the same things over and over.  how many anti benning posts have you commented on over the last 3 weeks? how many posts agreeing with somethings he's done were you in on.  you can't be negative all the time.

if that is what this site is going to be, i won't be coming on here much. you ended up not getting your wish. you can be unhappy with the way things went without telling us daily that jim is a bonehead. i know i can be a bonehead too.  we're all boneheads to somebody.

I have never called him a bonehead that I can remember. My criticism is about the decisions he makes and the job he does. Thats fair game imo.

Its pretty easy to ignore people on here. There is even a function for it.

If you dont like what people have to say then dont read it. If other people expressing their differing opinions bothers you that much, fix what is very much a YOU problem, not a ME problem.

Its not up to me or you to decide what people can or cannot post on cdc. Dont like it? Report my posts to a mod. If they agree I dont have the right to express my opinions they will ban me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tas said:

you see, therein lies the problem with wholly investing yourself in your own bogus narrative -- when confronted with the truth that the stuff you spew is nonsense, you're forced to close your eyes and jam your fingers in your ears and say "nananana I can't hear you!"

Actually, I have been copying and pasting Benning quotes for the last 15 minutes for you. Still have a lot to do though. I will post them once I am done.

I will give you a hint though. Almost every comment suggests that the player in question has speed and/or can contribute offensively. Vey, Clendening, Sutter, Gudbranson, Granlund, Schaller, Roussel, etc. all the way up to Bowey and Highmore.

Benning thought all of those guys were the answer to consistent secondary scoring. The problem is most of them clearly werent.

Its fair to question his comments on players because he thinks all of them are better than they actually are and in many cases proved to be far less than what he thought and what he gave up to get them.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Actually, I have been copying and pasting Benning quotes for the last 15 minutes for you. Still have a lot to do though. I will post them once I am done.

this oughta be good. be sure to cherry pick your very best. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have never called him a bonehead that I can remember. My criticism is about the decisions he makes and the job he does. Thats fair game imo.

Its pretty easy to ignore people on here. There is even a function for it.

If you dont like what people have to say then dont read it. If other people expressing their differing opinions bothers you that much, fix what is very much a YOU problem, not a ME problem.

Its not up to me or you to decide what people can or cannot post on cdc. Dont like it? Report my posts to a mod. If they agree I dont have the right to express my opinions they will ban me.

Actually, we are responsible (as adults) for things we say and write, aren’t we?  Should we really need Site police to have people be decent, and respectful?  Sure Benning the GM is fair game for criticism. 100 % agree.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

this oughta be good. be sure to cherry pick your very best. 

I am trying hard not to cherry pick. Just started at the beginning to see what his comments were at the time. Thats why it will take awhile.

The goal is to show the pattern of overestimating players he acquires. 

Him saying he now wants to add speed and skill could mean more of the same type of players because his previous judgement suggested thats how he saw thos previous players too.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually, we are responsible (as adults) for things we say and write, aren’t we?  Should we really need Site police to have people be decent, and respectful?  Sure Benning the GM is fair game for criticism. 100 % agree.  

When did I say not to be decent or respectful? I actually try to be myself and call for it from both sides quite often.

Criticizing Benning, Green, etc is not in itself disrespectful. Too many people confuse that.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Criticism can be constructive and destructive. Part of destructive criticism is a non stop continued repetition of the same point of view. Destructive criticism never helped anyone.

The fans flying the fire Benning banner was too much and crossed a line for anyone claiming to be a fan 

But I think it needs to be made clear that Canuck players and team ownership are not on this forum and not one player looses sleep over what a fan posts here.

Canuck management are not making decisions based on posters here  and nor are they planning team decisions or recruiting staff on this forum.

posters may be critical , wrong , right , funny or supportive but certainly not destructive or even constructive beyond creating or disrupting forum harmony among ourselves

This isn’t meant to criticize your post but simply using it to make the point that this forum has no where near the power or impact on the Canucks team that some posters are implying  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, iwtl said:

The fans flying the fire Benning banner was too much and crossed a line for anyone claiming to be a fan 

But I think it needs to be made clear that Canuck players and team ownership are not on this forum and not one player looses sleep over what a fan posts here.

Canuck management are not making decisions based on posters here  and nor are they planning team decisions or recruiting staff on this forum.

posters may be critical , wrong , right , funny or supportive but certainly not destructive or even constructive beyond creating or disrupting forum harmony among ourselves

This isn’t meant to criticize your post but simply using it to make the point that this forum has no where near the power or impact on the Canucks team that some posters are implying  

This is very true. What fans think or say impacts very little.

What they do, like not renewing season tickets, not buying merchandise, etc. that has a bottom line impact or risk to the business is the only thing management gives any consideration to.

People flying banners or complaining loudly on cdc are not seen as negative by the Canucks until their actions cost the team money.

The only types of fans the owners and management actually care about are an apathetic one or one that stops spending money on the team.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What they do, like not renewing season tickets, not buying merchandise, etc. that has a bottom line impact or risk to the business is the only thing management gives any consideration to.

People flying banners or complaining loudly on cdc are not seen as negative by the Canucks until their actions cost the team money.

The only types of fans the owners and management actually care about are an apathetic one or one that stops spending money on the team.

You keep talking about $

& you surely know there are p who know the price of everything & the value of squat.

All the BS over the past yr, proves dollars(supposed "reserve currency"..yeah right) will likely some day be reduced to fancy toilet paper. As everyone's jobs/lifestyles/tax contributions get turned upside-down, so institutions like the Fed merely print cash, willy-nilly.

You're praying to something that'll one day be rendered meaningless

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wouldn’t want to see anyone go roughrider on the staff and have a truck load of manure dumped on their lawn .... as a rider fan even the most angry of fans agreed that crossed a line lol

but your correct that impact at the cash registers that costs money or impacts brand ( advertisers leaving ) is the only thing that ever impacts most sport team owners 

and in many cases the harshest critics are the biggest fans ..... think hockey moms who scream loudly at their kids to play harder but will scream the loudest if anyone touches them

people getting too hung up on thinking criticism weakens the team,  stuff like flying that banner , dumping loads of manure or news media being that voice have impact,

players may not even know this forum exists ..... they do however watch the news

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree you can criticise anything and still be a fan, but those who dislike JB or TG will only find things to criticise, but never praise them when they deserve it. imo, people get so wrapped up in their opinions, they only see things their way. maybe we all do. someone said he can't wait till people can go to games and chant, fire benning. that tells me that the people that feel that way  are not willing to except the team's decisions. only my opinion is right.

I disagree with this. Even canuck2288 or whatever his username is says positive things about Green when he does good things (like calling a timeout for example). 

People pretend as if posters like him don't want the team to do well. 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks for a rather positive interpretation. I'm basically on-board for today's calls. For TG I was perhaps 80-85% there; for JB 90-95% approving.

Hope they bring in some new blood, like the twins, so we can transition to new, TRUSTED voices down the line, (whenever that might occur). Of course, this would be further supplemented with other individuals who'd contribute with FO-experience.

Trust is so important with this franchise, when operating in a league that's SO damned shady.

Hey, who knows? Maybe they'll hire the twins as co-presidents of operations! You know, two heads are better than one! Haha! 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree you can criticise anything and still be a fan, but those who dislike JB or TG will only find things to criticise, but never praise them when they deserve it. imo, people get so wrapped up in their opinions, they only see things their way. maybe we all do. someone said he can't wait till people can go to games and chant, fire benning. that tells me that the people that feel that way  are not willing to except the team's decisions. only my opinion is right.

To see this post get upvoted so much is exactly my point.

People can both dislike the work of Benning and Green and still give them credit where it is due. Many actually do.

Some people do just hate everything they do no matter what. And some love everything they do no matter what. They are both the exact same thing though. Unrealistic and not objective at all. And the people who do either of those extreme approaches are actually just extremely vocal minorities on here.

Most people I see can both criticize and praise and regularly do. The fact that some see things one way and find more to criticize and some find less to criticize doesnt make either less of a fan.

Your post is biased in one direction when in reality the extreme Benning supporters are actually doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You keep talking about $

& you surely know there are p who know the price of everything & the value of squat.

All the BS over the past yr, proves dollars(supposed "reserve currency"..yeah right) will likely some day be reduced to fancy toilet paper. As everyone's jobs/lifestyles/tax contributions get turned upside-down, so institutions like the Fed merely print cash, willy-nilly.

You're praying to something that'll one day be rendered meaningless

Not sure the actual point of this.

Aquilini cares far more aboug how much money his team makes than I do.

Money, whatever form it takes, will never be obsolete.