The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

London, Ont family of 4 killed by driver who targeted them because they were Muslim

RUPERTKBD

33 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Up until the end of WW2 people were seen as nothing but cannon fodder for the elite or rulers.. 

It wasn't until the atrocities of WW2 that people started to finally realize how barbaric they were. 

Another reason was most western societies were purely testosterone driven. 

The places that are still testosterone driven you can see the strike differences between them and the modern West i.e. Middle East, Asia, etc..

Just because a few countries have a few token women in their power structures do you really believe they are "estrogen driven"?

The major religions are certainly dominated by men and consign women to very secondary roles.

Women in corporate roles are a very small minority as well.

Women in real positions of power in government are rare.

Laughing my ass off that you think males do not dominate the power structures of our societies.

57 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The major religions are certainly dominated by men and consign women to very secondary roles.

You've made me think of the Gospel of Mary again.

Women with knowledge and power? that can't be right!  /s

Edited by bishopshodan
removed quote and link, was a bit confusing.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You've made me think of the Gospel of Mary again.

Women with knowledge and power? that can't be right!  /s

Some people believe that just because there has been one woman PM in Aus,Britian and Canada and a few senators/cabinet members.

That there are a handful of women CEO's,that our societies have broken through the glass ceilings.

Our societies are still dominated by men.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Just because a few countries have a few token women in their power structures do you really believe they are "estrogen driven"?

Women in corporate roles are a very small minority as well.

Women in real positions of power in government are rare.

Laughing my ass off that you think males do not dominate the power structures of our societies.

I was speaking in terms of the power structure amongst the ruling elite and what not.. 

Not what goes in the muggle world lol.. 

50 years ago you didn't have many female presidents or pm etc... look at leaders in Europe

It may still be a mans world, but things have certainly been watered down with the rhetoric and hormones.

Look at testosterone driven societies like in the Middle East where it is mostly male dominated behaviour as strike contrast to a mixture in the West. 

Remember the West before was as barbaric as the East... 

Edited by drummer4now

1 hour ago, drummer4now said:

I was speaking in terms of the power structure amongst the ruling elite and what not.. 

Not what goes in the muggle world lol.. 

50 years ago you didn't have many female presidents or pm etc... look at leaders in Europe

It may still be a mans world, but things have certainly been watered down with the rhetoric and hormones.

Look at testosterone driven societies like in the Middle East where it is mostly male dominated behaviour as strike contrast to a mixture in the West. 

Remember the West before was as barbaric as the East... 

There still has not been a female President of largest so called democracy.

There have been 70 nations worldwide that have seen their countries led by a woman.

Going by our example here in Aus,Julia Gillard was the victim of so many msygonous attacks,especially by a future PM Tony Abbott and the press that you can only admire her strength in continuing to govern.

I am willing to bet many of her compatriots have suffered the same fate.

The majority by far of the ruling elite as you call them in the west are men.

Governments,the corporation's that run them and religions are male dominated institutions

Ummm 

Weapons of mass destruction ?

Guantanamo bay- torture ?

Ours and America's longest running war in Afghanistan ?

Insurrection at the US Capitol ?

Pictures of ISIS in their trucks and trump supporters in their trucks eerily similar ?

Do you really believe that just because the turd has been polished a bit that human nature has fundamentally changed in the west ?

I note that people have been polarised even more in the last decade and any vestiges of civility seem gone.

Just take the last 10 pages or so of the US politics thread and we are all meant to be joined by a common passion for an ice hockey team.

No my friend the thin veneer of respect for your fellow person is being torn to shreds and it leaves me fearful for the world my son and his generation will inherit.

Canada truck attack suspect charged with terrorism

Canada's attorney general has approved terror charges against a man accused of killing four members of a Muslim family with his vehicle in London, Ontario.

London police have said that Nathaniel Veltman, 20, intentionally targeted the family because of their faith, running them over in a "premeditated" attack.

Mr Veltman also faces four first-degree murder charges and one attempted murder charge.

Three generations of the Afzaal family were killed, leaving just one survivor.

Salman Afzaal, 46, Madiha Salman, 44, Yumna Afzaal, 15, and Mr Afzaal's mother, 74, were killed while on an evening walk on 6 June. The family's nine-year-old son was the only survivor, and remains in hospital with serious injuries.

Mr Veltman has not yet entered a plea. He made a brief appearance via video call in court on Monday.

The next court hearing has been scheduled for 21 June.

Police have not yet said what evidence led to the belief that the murders were motivated by hate.

With murder-terrorism charges, prosecutors must prove there was the intent to cause death or serious harm, evidence that the act was committed for a political, religious or ideological purpose, and evidence that the act was meant to intimidate the public or a specific group.

The attack has sent waves of grief and fear across Canada, as London's tight-knit Muslim community mourns the loss of a beloved family.

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They didn't know him at all.

Not really funny.

I worked with a fellow whose kid  murdered a woman. I had no idea the kid was that type of human, neither did his Dad.

Clifford Olsen's brother was a deckhand at the ferries, he also had no clue that his brother was a sadistic child killer.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not really funny.

I worked with a fellow whose kid  murdered a woman. I had no idea the kid was that type of human, neither did his Dad.

Clifford Olsen's brother was a deckhand at the ferries, he also had no clue that his brother was a sadistic child killer.

Yeah that seems to be the case much of the time.  ie., "He seemed to be a nice person, just quiet, kept to himself, etc.,"  Even people you know at work & see everyday for hours, you often don't really know that person.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not really funny.

Jekyll and Hyde. These horrid persons can too often appear (on the surface) like a regular Joe, but underneath there is pure evil.  I still say hang the guy. 

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah that seems to be the case much of the time.  ie., "He seemed to be a nice person, just quiet, kept to himself, etc.,"  Even people you know at work & see everyday for hours, you often don't really know that person.

From decades ago, a comedy show really nails what our media has become. About a nice guy who killed someone. "All he ever talked about".

It's funny, yet horribly true.

24 hr news.

• Cheers 1