The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

17 hours ago, Gurn said:

Built his own reason for not doing enough.

Re-signed Brock and signed Mik= $11.4 mill.

Mik has worked out, and Boesser is doing better than most think.

But it does show that JR/PA had cap space, left by J.B.,  whether we agree with what they did with it or not.

My understanding from the media is that JR and Allvin wanted to shed cap space but after they realized it was harder than they thought they decided to "double down" with the roster.

Plus the Boeser one is a bit more complicated due to the qualifying offer which put them between a rock and a hard place. 

Not saying JR and Allvin didn't make mistakes, you pointed some out already. But the actions done by them was ripple effect due to the OEL // Garland trade. 

As Steve Dangle said, ( though he exaggerated a bit) Benning traded Loui Eriksson (LE) in his expiring year for a more expensive Defensive Loui Eriksson (LE).

Now I don't agree OEL is the D-man equivalent of LE, but I think we all get the idea. Basically a bad contract which the player won't live up to it and hence, untradable.

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

My understanding from the media is that JR and Allvin wanted to shed cap space but after they realized it was harder than they thought they decided to "double down" with the roster.

The old- "Jimmy made me do it defense".

Moms everywhere shake their heads and sigh. lol

48 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Exactly, I don't mind giving him a 1 year deal since and he can be flipped in the TDL if Vancouver is going to miss the playoffs

As for Rodrigues ... 3 x 3 is still better than 5 x 5. 

Kling isn't signing a 1 year deal with us...

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Karlsson is elite, not OEL. 

The bias bit is very confusing it seems. You seem to be very biased since you defend spending all cap without any result to show for it.

Objectivity is something I hold dear. 

As journalists should do. 

The one thing you can complain about is where I am rooted traditionwise. Hence I don.'t like egomaniacs, leaders that don.t protect the weakest links etc. 

If OEL had 4 mill  I wouldn't bother.

Then he can run PP2 and we all are happy with it.  But not for over 7 mill.

Your bias against benning is evident for not acknowledging his work prior to 2020. 

The team barely had NHL caliber roster players with the departures of sedins, burr, kes, hansen, bieksa, hamhuis, luongo, etc etc from 2014-2017. 

for a team without prospect pool deep enough to replace the departed players, we had to get players via UFA and the only way to do so was offer the highest price. You seem to leave out a very positive example of such signing: Ryan Miller. He kept us in games and more importantly, he mentored Marky, who then mentored demko. 

I think other signings had positive effects as well.  Beagle took on the tough minutes so that guys Petey didn’t have to. A player like healthy Roussel is exactly what we are missing now. PK, putting on hits and laying the body. Myers was a decent player to have, playing behind defensively minded Tanev and ahead of feisty but undersized Stecher. 

yes, benning overpaid for each of those players.  Was it necessary? Yes! We had very little in the way of NHL players and not having them meant more Dalpes or Megnas and getting blown out of games in the first period. That would have been detrimental to proper development of guys like marky, demmer, petey, hughes, etc. 

could benning have managed the cap better? yes. But do acknolwedge that he did some good. i think we agree that almost all of the moves he made post 2020 were bad… in fact, I can’t think of any one good move. 

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Those Devils cup teams, were boring as hell, to watch but it made NJ, a three time cup champs; and now they seemed to be ready to contend, after rebuilding for a few years, whilst, JB was doing his retool, from hell...

How long did NJ to to get to this point? 

they were in the cup final in 2014, is that when they began their rebuild?

I say no, we didn't need those players. 

We have a different opinion on the matter.

I want ten mill flexibility til we reach what can be described as a window. 

When the window is reached we spend up to cap on a few pieces that can be part of the core. 

When Benning did what he did he had to find tradepartners(as JR and Allvin is forced to do).

All their hands are tied behind their backs.

You seem to like it, I don't.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Niedermayer and Pronger played together. Niedermayer played primarily on the right side his entire career. First with Scott Stevens and then with Chris Pronger. 

Nieder and stevens yes. pronger and niedermayer were paired together but were also split up as often as they were paired together if my memory serves me right. 

splitting them up gave them two strong pairings instead of one, especially important in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I say no, we didn't need those players. 

We have a different opinion on the matter.

I want ten mill flexibility til we reach what can be described as a window. 

When the window is reached we spend up to cap on a few pieces that can be part of the core. 

When Benning did what he did he had to find tradepartners(as JR and Allvin is forced to do).

All their hands are tied behind their backs.

You seem to like it, I don't.

We didnt need Ryan Miller, Beagle, Myers?

who would have taken those spots? 

Demko, petey, jett woo?

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I Look Good He-Man GIF by Masters Of The Universe

I already talked about that.

I’m fine with the trade as I’m fine with the Miller contract.

But neither is good for the team futurewise.

Garland small, OEL expensive.

And back then I discussed with folks about Benning being dumb to trade away the trio when they only had one year left of the contract.

It would have been better have them on the roster and have the millions to splash closer to the window.

2 hours ago, jyu said:

How long did NJ to to get to this point? 

they were in the cup final in 2014, is that when they began their rebuild?

Started with Shero and he was hired at 2015. I would add, the Avs, the Rags & the Kings, as the other three clubs that seems to had done well, with their rebuilds during JBs' retools from hell. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Started with Shero and he was hired at 2015. I would add, the Avs, the Rags & the Kings, as the other three clubs that seems to had done well, with their rebuilds during JBs' retools from hell. 

The kings had something good going but pulled the plug on the rebuild too soon... destined for mediocrity. 

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The Rangers outside of Chytil have arguably blown all their 1st round picks and should be further along than they are. 

Lundqvist-Traded

Lafreniere-trending bust

Kakko-trending bust but good depth player

Schneider-trending potential bust

• There it is 1

21 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The Rangers outside of Chytil have arguably blown all their 1st round picks and should be further along than they are. 

Lundqvist-Traded

Lafreniere-trending bust

They also didn't really rebuild. They're still very much lead by +/-30 year olds in Zib and Kreider as well as guys like Panarin, Trouba and yes, the younger Fox, all basically deciding they'd play nowhere else. They retooled...and with a crap tonne of luck in both free agent players coming there, and winning draft lottos (which thus far haven't really driven their rise as you noted).

Arguably their best "re-whatever"1st rounder, contributing most to team success, is K'andre Miller, drafted 22 overall.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, coryberg said:

The kings had something good going but pulled the plug on the rebuild too soon... destined for mediocrity. 

Not sure i agree but let's wait & see cause they still have a young team, with potential and it is not, uncommon for a young team to regress, whist, they turn the page from rebuilding to contending

Edited by ShawnAntoski

9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not sure i agree but let's wait & see cause they still have a young team, with potential and it is not, uncommon for a young team to regress

The Kings got craperolla with their high pick.  Forgot his name already.  He’s that much of a bustaroo bonsai.  So I do t know if they pulled the chute too quick or they just missed on an important pick.  

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lundqvist-Traded

Lafreniere-trending bust

Gorton was the architect, of the current roster but Dolan didn't agree, with his timeline and replaced him with Drury, who seems to be more malleable to Dolan.  They did very well last year and let's see how they will progress, as their young players continues to develope.  As for those prospects, you had mentioned, I would give it a couple more season before calling them a TOTAL bust.  As a Canuck, having those players busting out, is good karma for 94.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lundqvist-Traded

Lafreniere-trending bust

I seriously doubt all those rumours in the media about us insisting on ?Schneider being part of a Miller Trade had any merit.  The guy is craperolla.