The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jocelyn Guevremont (50 point rookie defenseman also on the 1972 Canada team vs Russia) for Mike Robitaille and Gerry Meehan wasn't great.

The Dale Tallon for Gary Smith & Jerry Korab trade would've been among the best Canucks trades; provided we actually kept *BOTH* players.  Not that Gary Smith was bad (he clearly wasn't) but rather Jerry Korab was *EXACTLY* the type of defenseman a NHL team needed in the mid-70s (heck, he'd be useful on THIS Canucks team today).  Had some offensive skills but played like Luke Schenn.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The worst part is Benning probably thought he made such a clever trade…

One of the best responses was something like “did we just trade the 9th overall pick just so we can deal with cap problems a couple years from now” :picard:

They were spot on. That’s exactly what we did…

The funniest part was that people replied to that post and said no

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The Dale Tallon for Gary Smith & Jerry Korab trade would've been among the best Canucks trades; provided we actually kept *BOTH* players.  Not that Gary Smith was bad (he clearly wasn't) but rather Jerry Korab was *EXACTLY* the type of defenseman a NHL team needed in the mid-70s (heck, he'd be useful on THIS Canucks team today).  Had some offensive skills but played like Luke Schenn.

Yeah and as you know Gary Smith was better than not bad.  He was (would have been under the current system) a Vezina finalist and came pretty close to winning the Hart for the Canucks.  That season stood as the only truly elite performance by a Canuck over a season until Pavel Bure in 1992-93 or maybe Richard Brodeur in 1981-82 if the bar is lowered a little.

And while we didn't keep him, we did trade him for Cesare Maniago who I think was 2x Canucks MVP and was a decent replacement.

And yeah we could have really used Korab.  Went on to quickly have two 50 point season for Buffalo and got votes for the post-season All Star team in four seasons.  Would have basically been something like our original Jovanovski.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah and as you know Gary Smith was better than not bad.  He was (would have been under the current system) a Vezina finalist and came pretty close to winning the Hart for the Canucks.  That season stood as the only truly elite performance by a Canuck over a season until Pavel Bure in 1992-93 or maybe Richard Brodeur in 1981-82 if the bar is lowered a little.

And while we didn't keep him, we did trade him for Cesare Maniago who I think was 2x Canucks MVP and was a decent replacement.

He (Smith) had alot of personality as well.  I remember him actually drop-kicking the puck down the ice!:lol:  Played a *TON* of games back then (when road trips were even more awful). I just felt Korab was a key player as well (that we should've kept).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He (Smith) had alot of personality as well.  I remember him actually drop-kicking the puck down the ice!:lol:  Played a *TON* of games back then (when road trips were even more awful). I just felt Korab was a key player as well (that we should've kept).

Yeah I amended my previous post to add a bit about Korab.  He would have gone down as a great Canuck and we pulled the plug on him too early for sure.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I amended my previous post to add a bit about Korab.  He would have gone down as a great Canuck and we pulled the plug on him too early for sure.

Yeah I'm guilty of underselling Gary Smith as well.  "Suitcase" gave us not just good veteran stability - but a guy who excelled on the ice as well.  No surprise we hit .500 for the first time when he was the starter (back when a .500 record actually meant something).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dougieL said:

As long as people keep saying that this was a good trade, or OEL is fine and worth ~5m, I'll keep reminding them how wrong they were. If people could please do me a favor and yourselves a favor by just admitting that this was a disaster of a trade, I'll be more at peace and not make such posts as often. I can't stand the fact that there are people out there who actually like OEL and like this trade.

It wasn’t a bad trade. he is playing like a five mil defenceman. :bigblush:

15 hours ago, kacholu said:

Wait what??? Sedins vouched for him? Do we have that anywhere?

Have a listen...it's good for a laugh. Love the part where he says OEL will kill penalties and do anything to help a team win. And don't forget - Benning said himself on an SN650 interview that when Arizona came back to ask him to include a second round pick to complete the deal, it was the Sedin's who convinced him to do so because of how high there were on OEL. It's pure comedy, really.

19 hours ago, dougieL said:

But hey...if we end up with a truly high-end difference maker in this year's draft, I might forgive this trade and think it was all part of a grand 4D chess plan.

We will win Bedard. Without OEL and Myers, it wouldn’t be possible. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

What makes me laugh is having to still give Arizona a pick this coming draft, lol

Remember Benning's interview on SN650 after the trade? He said Arizona came back to him to ask for that second, and it was the Sedin's who convinced him to include it because of how high they were on OEL. But hey...if this trade helps us secure a top 5 pick in this year's draft, I'll admit it was a pretty smart trade after all :lol:

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, Boudrias said:

Can OEL's role be structured in such a way as to minimize his current d-zone play? There will be player moves before the TDL. Does a LD come back that would allow OEL to play 3LD? Simplify his game to a pure defensive one on a 3rd pairing. Ride out his contract for a couple of years and then decide on how to proceed. Not ideal but it might work for now. 

Likely the only way forward barring a buyout. 

So we need one top4LD and two top 4RD. Good luck Patrik!

5 minutes ago, jyu said:

We will win Bedard. Without OEL and Myers, it wouldn’t be possible. 

If we get either the 1st or 2nd overall pick this year, I'll take back everything I said about this trade, as it would literally be the greatest trade in Canucks history.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, dougieL said:

If we get either the 1st or 2nd overall pick this year, I'll take back everything I said about this trade, as it would literally be the greatest trade in Canucks history.

Guenther for Bedard/Fantilli + OEL cap dump for four more seasons. Not a bad trade. 

I bet aqullini is crying. He is the one who has to pay OEL’s 10 million dollar salary this season. 

56 minutes ago, dougieL said:

That's like giving Mike Gillis credit for leaving Jim Benning a complete mess to work with (so they would be in a draft position to pick Hughes & Pettersson).:lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That's like giving Mike Gillis credit for leaving Jim Benning a complete mess to work with (so they would be in a draft position to pick Hughes & Pettersson).:lol:

I'm willing to do any kind of mental gymnastics necessary to make myself feel better about this trade :lol: It's too depressing otherwise to believe that Benning and the Sedin's, among others, truly thought this trade was a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I'm willing to do any kind of mental gymnastics necessary to make myself feel better about this trade :lol: It's too depressing otherwise to believe that Benning and the Sedin's, among others, truly thought this trade was a good idea.

IMHAO our owner was pushing Benning to make immediate improvement to the club. I remember Benning saying he hated giving away the the first and second round picks. I really don’t think he wanted to make that deal, but was pressured into it. And being the “good ol’ boy” club member he is, he won’t say anything negative about his owner. So he will take the blame. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO our owner was pushing Benning to make immediate improvement to the club. I remember Benning saying he hated giving away the the first and second round picks. I really don’t think he wanted to make that deal, but was pressured into it. And being the “good ol’ boy” club member he is, he won’t say anything negative about his owner. So he will take the blame. 

Do you know what’s sad? Our current guy at the helm might be worse.

• Wat 1