The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 1/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, hammertime said:

Cooley C/LW Oozing skill he get's you out of your seat. I think he will struggle to play his style in the NHL but I said the same about Zegras and he's pulling off alley-oops  in the NHL. "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

I have to admit, Cooley is one of the top ranked players I've seen the least of, but from what little I've seen I'm confused by your assessment of him. He does have some high-end skills and creativity for sure, but to me he looks first and foremost like a pretty solid pro-style player. Sound defensively, takes care of the puck, uses his teammates well.

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have to admit, Cooley is one of the top ranked players I've seen the least of, but from what little I've seen I'm confused by your assessment of him. He does have some high-end skills and creativity for sure, but to me he looks first and foremost like a pretty solid pro-style player. Sound defensively, takes care of the puck, uses his teammates well.

I have him 5-9 at this time. That is hardly an indictment of his play. I'm less comfortable projecting his play style than my top 5 right now is the only reason. I feel Wright, Nemec, Yurov, Kemell and to a degree Savoie play a more traditionally successful style than Cooley. That said I think Savoie and Cooley are the 2 potential superstar forwards in the draft neither I have top 3.   

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I have him 5-9 at this time. That is hardly an indictment of his play. I'm less comfortable projecting his play style than my top 5 right now is the only reason. I feel Wright, Nemec, Yurov, Kemell and to a degree Savoie play a more traditionally successful style than Cooley. That said I think Savoie and Cooley are the 2 potential superstar forwards in the draft neither I have top 3.   

My quarrel wasn't with your rankings or indictment of his play, but with your assessment of his playing style. The fact that you have Kemell and Savoie as more traditionally successful style players just tells me we have drastically different standards of what that means. You're entitled to your opinions of course, but you're wrong and I'm right. Lol. There are a lot of different aspects to consider in being a "pro-style" player so it is understandable that different people will have different standards, but to me two of the most important aspects for skilled players are using one's teammates and being responsible with the puck. This is why I was so relatively low on Cole Perfetti a couple years ago and Fabian Lysell last year. "Try to do too much with the puck" is the common phrase, although again, that can mean a lot of different things. This year it's Kemell and Savoie, and I don't think the issue as quite as pronounced as the two names I just mentioned, but maybe more in the category of a guy like Kent Johnson.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

My quarrel wasn't with your rankings or indictment of his play, but with your assessment of his playing style. The fact that you have Kemell and Savoie as more traditionally successful style players just tells me we have drastically different standards of what that means. You're entitled to your opinions of course, but you're wrong and I'm right. Lol. There are a lot of different aspects to consider in being a "pro-style" player so it is understandable that different people will have different standards, but to me two of the most important aspects for skilled players are using one's teammates and being responsible with the puck. This is why I was so relatively low on Cole Perfetti a couple years ago and Fabian Lysell last year. "Try to do too much with the puck" is the common phrase, although again, that can mean a lot of different things. This year it's Kemell and Savoie, and I don't think the issue as quite as pronounced as the two names I just mentioned, but maybe more in the category of a guy like Kent Johnson.

Haha fair enough. We all see different things in different players. I like your use of Kent Johnson. 

19 hours ago, warrchief said:

A lot of the D available in the First are Right handers

Which I would love to get (assuming they're the BPA at our pick), but only (according to Button's list - who is not the standard) 3 above the 20th pick. So, we may be forced to reach on one if we want, or hope one falls to us.. I'll also admit, I know almost nothing about this years prospects so anything I say should be taken with a pile of salt. 

22 hours ago, hammertime said:

Outer Space Astronaut GIF by NASA

Super salty lol

8 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Which I would love to get (assuming they're the BPA at our pick), but only (according to Button's list - who is not the standard) 3 above the 20th pick. So, we may be forced to reach on one if we want, or hope one falls to us.. I'll also admit, I know almost nothing about this years prospects so anything I say should be taken with a pile of salt. 

Even if we have our own lists the team's list was going to be different. It's just a fun barometer to use and Craig always has an awful draft mind. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:01 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Forgot we included our 2nd rounder for this year in that OEL and Garland trade. Unfortunate because I was looking into guys I wanted us to get in the 2nd round. Was getting excited then found out we don’t have our 2nd round pick.

We've lost three straight. I think Rutherford's fingers are itchy in pulling a trade of some kind. 

I would not be the least surprised if we got that second rounder back for a player we're trading. I think one of our core players will be gone by the trade deadline.

Still too many players I haven't seen enough of to do a full first round. Slowly becoming comfortable with rough parameters of my top 15-20.

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Simon Nemec

4. Danila Yurov

5. Matthew Savoie

6. Juraj Slafkovsky

7. Frank Nazar

8. Logan Cooley

9. David Jiricek

10. Joakim Kemell

11. Conor Geekie

12. Brad Lambert

13. Alexander Perevalov

14. Gleb Trikozov

15. Tristan Luneau

16. Rutger McGroarty

17. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

18. Seamus Casey

19. Elias Salomonsson

20. Ty Nelson

• Cheers 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:18 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Still too many players I haven't seen enough of to do a full first round. Slowly becoming comfortable with rough parameters of my top 15-20.

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Simon Nemec

4. Danila Yurov

5. Matthew Savoie

6. Juraj Slafkovsky

7. Frank Nazar

8. Logan Cooley

9. David Jiricek

10. Joakim Kemell

11. Conor Geekie

12. Brad Lambert

13. Alexander Perevalov

14. Gleb Trikozov

15. Tristan Luneau

16. Rutger McGroarty

17. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

18. Seamus Casey

19. Elias Salomonsson

20. Ty Nelson

I think, and hope, the Canucks are going to come in right around where Lambert is on this list

One of my 2nd round hopefuls! Guy has produced an insane amount of points his entire career but is on a very bad OHL team. As a rookie draft eligible he leads his team in points 29 in 31 games. Probably one of the best skaters in the draft. I feel like if he was on a better team with good line mates he’d be talked about as a pick in the early to mid 20’s. Owen Beck who’s got some love in here already and David Goyette are my 2nd round picks!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Where is Jack Hughes projected to go in the draft? Son of new Montreal GM Kent Hughes

At one point early in the season I saw him ranked as high as mid-first round. Not the consensus seems to have him at the back of the first round. Could pretty easily see him fall to the 2nd.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

At one point early in the season I saw him ranked as high as mid-first round. Not the consensus seems to have him at the back of the first round. Could pretty easily see him fall to the 2nd.

People started realizing he wasn't the right Jack Hughes.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:18 AM, HighOnHockey said:

1. Shane Wright

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko

3. Simon Nemec

4. Danila Yurov

5. Matthew Savoie

6. Juraj Slafkovsky

7. Frank Nazar

8. Logan Cooley

9. David Jiricek

10. Joakim Kemell

11. Conor Geekie

12. Brad Lambert

13. Alexander Perevalov

14. Gleb Trikozov

15. Tristan Luneau

16. Rutger McGroarty

17. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

18. Seamus Casey

19. Elias Salomonsson

20. Ty Nelson

Sticking to your guns on Miro I respect that. Interesting did Casey drop down your board or am I miss remembering? Perevalov is having a hell of a season. I focused in on him a lil while ago and had some concerns with the pop in his first 3 steps which soured me somewhat. Certainly a very smart and talented player though. Lekkerimaki is another guy who's  skating concerns me a bit I think 17 is a great spot for him though man can he rip the puck. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Nazar as I haven't had a chance to see much of him yet. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:41 PM, mpass1 said:

I wonder if David Jiricek stock drops because of his injury. Would love a right handed defensemen like him!

Its gonna be a love hate affair with Jiricek me thinks. If you were calling for Hunt's head after his missed hit on Svechnikov the other day Jiricek might not be for you. Jiricek will step up and out of position when he sees an opportunity to flatten the puck carrier through the neutral zone or save the day with a timely pinch when it works out its all pat's on the back and praise makes for great highlights too but when it doesn't he's giving up a juicy odd man rush. I'm on board with adding Jiricek we just need a Hamhuis style player to get the best Juice. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Sticking to your guns on Miro I respect that. Interesting did Casey drop down your board or am I miss remembering? Perevalov is having a hell of a season. I focused in on him a lil while ago and had some concerns with the pop in his first 3 steps which soured me somewhat. Certainly a very smart and talented player though. Lekkerimaki is another guy who's  skating concerns me a bit I think 17 is a great spot for him though man can he rip the puck. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Nazar as I haven't had a chance to see much of him yet. 

Lol I really thought Miro would be falling by now. 4 goals in his last 3 games though so I checked out his last game. 2 goals, 5 shots, and it was easily the most involved in the play I've seen him at the pro level. Realized I may have been a bit hard on him; my main criticism is he hasn't looked like a power forward at the pro level. Lol kid is 17 in one of the better men's leagues in the world. It is a bit of a risk having him at 2 for sure, as I'm going partly on potential and raw ability over what he's actually brought to the table in this, his draft year. Disappointing a season as it's been for him I noticed it is still the highest p/g by a U18 in the short history of VHL (min 10 GP), aside from a bonkers 15 game stint by Valeri Nichushkin. And still nobody else in this class has quite stepped up and forced my hand to drop him.

Yes, Casey did fall. Glad you called me out on that. Think I had him around 10-12 at one point. No real reason except for being a 5'10 defenseman and hasn't had the kind of production I expected from a kid I thought was the next Drysdale/Quinn Hughes.

Perevalov was a guy that caught my eye at Hlinkas for looking like a two-way, pro-style player, in addition to some pretty slick skill. After Russia split up Miro-Kvochko-Michkov, it was Perevalov that was stapled to Michkov's side to help babysit defensively but also keep up with him in the offensive zone. And then yes, of course his ridiculous offensive production this year played into my decision. Has slowed down a bit but recall he was around 2 points per game through the first 10 games or so.

I take your point about Perevalov's skating, but not sure I agree about Lekkerimaki. Maybe reminiscent of Rossi his draft year, where his skating takes some criticism because he's not the fastest or most explosive straight-line skater, but has exceptional quickness and shiftiness. So much fun to watch Lekkerimaki dart around the offensive zone like a waterbug.

Nazar has always been one of my favorite players in the draft since YOGs. First and foremost I think he's one of the best defensive forwards in the draft. I raved a lot about Sillinger's defensive game last year because of how diligently he broke up plays all over the ice; whether he was going to force a turnover or not, he would pull out all the stops to even just get a sliver of a stick on it and give opponents a wobbly puck. Not so much with Nazar. He wants to steal the puck, and he does, a lot, all over the ice. Like Lucas Raymond, he has that uncanny knack for jumping up to steal the puck at exactly the right moment to create a scoring chance the other way. Actually I see a lot of Raymond in Nazar. Not quite the all-around beast Raymond was; I've always said Raymond was one of the most pro-style prospects I've ever seen at 17. But Nazar is also blessed with some of the most dynamic offensive skills in this draft. Not as explosive as Savoie and not as silky hands as Kemell, but he's a very quick, shifty skater who utilizes the 10-2 beautifully. Brilliant on his backhand, both passing and shooting. And then he's also a very crafty playmaker.

Feels kinda weird leaving McGroarty off, but the skating worries me with him. He just doesn't look involved in the play at times.

• Cheers 1