The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

On 7/6/2022 at 2:11 AM, Chip Kelly said:

I would love to see Washington take Miroshnichenko. They don't shy away from Russians and he would be a great fit with no one better to learn from in the NHL than Ovechkin as tries to play a similar bulldog type style. He has potential to be a 30 goal scorer or flame out.

Let's go!!! :metal:

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Screeching how, exactly?  I made an observation and at least 4 people went off the rails.......if it looks like triggered and smells like triggered, well ...........

Don't forget Stawns was the guy who defended Green til the bitter &^@#in end. Probably after, too. Not really worth arguing with as he ignores the facts in front of him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Is Lekkerimaki going to play in the Allsvenskan (second tier league in Sweden) next season?

Yeah that would be the ideal situation. Where else are you going to get an opportunity for 18 year old players to lead a pro team for a chance at a league championship and promotion back to SHL. Ostlund, Ohgren, Lekkerimaki, Odelius, Engstrom. Probably some of their NHL rights-owners will be pushing for them to be loaned to SHL or AHL teams, but I think it would be best for their development to all stay there together. This combination of opportunity+level of competition for developing prospects is hard to come by.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Imagine getting drafted by the Canucks and being him. This must have been his dream team for real for so many reasons 

and I think they are going to give him ever support or resource needed to develop into his absolute best version of himself

Feeling m very bullish on this pick 

I would very much hope we would do that for all of our prospects. 

25 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

So would you say he can be as good as Pettersson?? He has been projected as a top 10 pick in many scouting reports and that is pretty impressive considering players like Jiricic, Nemec, Wright, Slaf, Minty etc. There is no home run consensus number 1 pick in this year's draft but I will say the top 10 are pretty close to each other. i don't see any big separation from the 1st overall to the 10th overall like I saw in previous draft years.

Shouldve mentioned not my write up lol.

I dont think he will be as good as Pettersson as i feel they are two different players. JL is more of a goal scorer whereas Petey is more of a playmaker with an ability to score 30-40 goals if that makes any sense. 

i think this was a great pick. Hes 17 years old, played last season in the SHL against men and was quite productive - guessing his size wasnt much of an issue there. He’ll like grow to 6’1 or so and maybe 185-190lbs. 

Some on here keep arguing about size but the game has evolved and high skilled players are dominating the league regardless of size, Petey is a great example of that, along with Debrincat. Anyone think Dach is hard to play against? We took BPA regardless of need which i will support every single time. 

5 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah that would be the ideal situation. Where else are you going to get an opportunity for 18 year old players to lead a pro team for a chance at a league championship and promotion back to SHL. Ostlund, Ohgren, Lekkerimaki, Odelius, Engstrom. Probably some of their NHL rights-owners will be pushing for them to be loaned to SHL or AHL teams, but I think it would be best for their development to all stay there together. This combination of opportunity+level of competition for developing prospects is hard to come by.

Pretty much the ideal situation. 

Your Sens also had themselves a day today! 

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

They took Reid Schaefer thats a great pick!

I know but the fact the oilers felt the need to take a forward makes me laugh. Bpa makes sense if that's the case. I'm not an expert on the draft by any means 

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I know but the fact the oilers felt the need to take a forward makes me laugh. Bpa makes sense if that's the case. I'm not an expert on the draft by any means 

Well they can't seem to draft an actual NHL quality blueliner either, so this might be the right strategy.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

It is funny indeed, however we picked a forward as well. Pretty sure there is something in the works for both teams. Nor am I draft expert either.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

LOL Lots

Korchinski at 7

Geekie at 11

Lekkerimaki because I don't see how he fits our <25 core

Mesar at 26

How doesn’t he fit?

He’ll be 22 and ready to provide secondary scoring on a cheap ELC when Petey, Horvat, and Hughes are the vets leading the team.

No different than the steady stream of young guys Colorado or New York have coming in to push the vets.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would very much hope we would do that for all of our prospects. 

I feel like there are periods where we haven't and other NHL teams haven't.

Just like we had a period where Benning didn't even have aa proper executive team of support around him or a president of hockey ops.

I hope so too but I dont think thats been the case always. And I think right now we have the organization set up in a way and with Abbotsford that support for prospects will be the highest its ever been.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

LOL Lots

Korchinski at 7

Geekie at 11

Lekkerimaki because I don't see how he fits our <25 core

Mesar at 26

Korchinski and Geekie both went too high I agree. Not that they dont have change of working out I just liked many players over them at those positions. 

You would have taken Bichsel at 15 at that spot I am guessing. We will see in a few years how this shakes down. 

But try and get behind it now. Its done, and you could be ecstatic about the pick in a couple years.

32 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Imagine getting drafted by the Canucks and being him. This must have been his dream team for real for so many reasons 

and I think they are going to give him ever support or resource needed to develop into his absolute best version of himself

Feeling m very bullish on this pick 

Craig Button had him at number 8 overall comparing him to David Pastrnak. Bob Mckenzie also had him ranked number 8. He said that their scouting survey ranked him as high as No. 4 and as low as No. 17.

The biggest thing for me is that when he scores, the Swedish announcers shout his name like they would a soccer legend - LEK-KE-RI-MA-KIIIIII! (there is no player in the Canucks roster right now whose last name you can do that with). ^_^

• Upvote 1

Went back and looked at my first posts on Lekkerimaki here. First couple were after Hlinkas.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:16 AM, HighOnHockey said:

The biggest surprise of the tournament for me was Jonathan Lekkerimaki for Sweden. I guess not a big shock, since looking at the stats going in he was a player I took note of, but I thought he was probably Sweden's best player in the tournament. His speed and quickness alone make him dangerous, but his shot and hockey sense also look pretty high end.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Starting to think Lekkerimaki will emerge as a top tier (using that term loosely) prospect. He reminds me of a pinball machine the way he darts around the offensive zone. Man is he quick. But is he a Hagelin or is he an Ehlers?

And then after Bob's first list came out:

On 9/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Well there goes my hidden gem Lekkerimaki.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Craig Button had him at number 8 overall comparing him to David Pastrnak. Bob Mckenzie also had him ranked number 8. He said that their scouting survey ranked him as high as No. 4 and as low as No. 17.

The biggest thing for me is that when he scores, the Swedish announcers shout his name like they would a soccer legend - LEK-KE-RI-MA-KIIIIII! (there is no player in the Canucks roster right now whose last name you can do that with). ^_^

MAn he was a steal plain and simple. Top 10 guy. No matter how you slice it.

Hes gonna be a dangerous forward for us.

Aha I love his name honestly very excited of this goal calls and his jersey.

• Like 1