The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Picking Ryan Chesley with the 15th overall pick would be drafting for need instead of BPA. That would be the type of poor decisions made by Jim Benning  that put the organzation in a massive hole.

I think this is a bit different.

Benning seemed to get enamored with a player and would get him regardless, not necessarily drafting for need but rather a preference or hunch.

Going for a need like a RHD is something you need to go after because other teams will. Canucks lack a top rhd because it is something they have never gone after.

Any wild cards we should be targeting with our 1st pick? I have my eyes on a few. These aren’t wild cards but they could potentially be available when we pick. Kasper, Geekie, Nazar, Lambert are all solid forward targets. In the backend, Bichel, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Pickering could all be available. Ohgren, Yurov and Miro are good options as well. I would prefer we address our backend. That’s the main goal this offseason. I would be happy if any of the D I mentioned are available at 15. They are all solid pieces to build around. That doesn’t mean we won’t consider drafting a forward. If there’s a top notch forward that falls into our lap, we have to consider picking them up. We’ll wait and see. Very excited about this upcoming draft

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

I think this is a bit different.

Benning seemed to get enamored with a player and would get him regardless, not necessarily drafting for need but rather a preference or hunch.

Going for a need like a RHD is something you need to go after because other teams will. Canucks lack a top rhd because it is something they have never gone after.

Very few D, let alone rhd, are NHL ready for at least 3 years, unless you're Makar, Hughes, Hedman, or Orr. I say its better to go with the BPA in the first round, and then mine the gems in the later rounds. Bob Daily, Rick Lanz, and Garth Butcher were, but they were all rushed into the League in their first year, and were traded from the organization.

Edited by johngould21

Kind of hoping the Canucks take Miro but will be happy with whoever they choose at 15 , As for the ongoing Chesney debate if they like him I would be fine with that . But if finding Hughes a partner is drafting and waiting than wouldn't a UFA or trading for a partner be the better idea for now ? They are not going after A Hughes type player , They are after a Tanev or younger schenn Type which they will probably have to do in the short term anyway . Just my thoughts 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

At 15 he would probably be the highest cieling player available other than maybe the russians. Hmm wasn't Barzal drafted at 15?

How is barzal a comparison asides from elite skating?

reports are that scouts are also viewing lambert now as a winger. Rather than a C due to his lack of IQ and what’s required to be an nhl centre. 

barzal ranking only was lowered by a knee injury in pretty sure. 

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Very few D, let alone rhd, are NHL ready for at least 3 years, unless you're Makar, Hughes, Hedman, or Orr. I say its better to go with the BPA in the first round, and then mine the gems in the later rounds. Bob Daily, Rick Lanz, and Garth Butcher were, but they were all rushed into the League in their first year, and were traded from the organization.

Ya but our dman pipeline is bare. So if we don’t take dmen now we won’t have any dmen pushing from beneath or coming up in the system for even longer. We have to acquired prospects and or draft some relatively high. 

53 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Any wild cards we should be targeting with our 1st pick? I have my eyes on a few. These aren’t wild cards but they could potentially be available when we pick. Kasper, Geekie, Nazar, Lambert are all solid forward targets. In the backend, Bichel, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Pickering could all be available. Ohgren, Yurov and Miro are good options as well. I would prefer we address our backend. That’s the main goal this offseason. I would be happy if any of the D I mentioned are available at 15. They are all solid pieces to build around. That doesn’t mean we won’t consider drafting a forward. If there’s a top notch forward that falls into our lap, we have to consider picking them up. We’ll wait and see. Very excited about this upcoming draft

I think Nazar could be. If he fell to us i think we would take him. 

it all depends if we acquire another pick before ours or another later pick, or if we trade down and how the board goes. But if we have multiple picks could def see them taking a swing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

So they’ve created a proper executive structure, a proper management structure. They’ve insulated themselves. They’ve upgraded our staff and are operating at a much more efficient and professional clip. Benning and co was like a one man entrepreneur trying to do everything without the skill set to Do so.

They move hamonic which seemed impossible, they came to an ideal situation with Brock keeping him happy while still signing a team friendly deal, they aren’t going to let things drag or delay our training camp like benning and co. 

they signed the markets number 1 European free agent in kuzmenko a huge win for our organization and city in establishing we are a destination. The effort put in to that signing was elite. It wouldn’t have happened with benning and co.

the stamp will officially be on the team after draft, and free agency period. How could they do anymore sooner? 

there will be trades, there will be signings.

I’m feeling very confident in their preparation and approach and feel they are setting the organization up for success and can’t wait to see the changes they make.

I think this is what I'm saying. I agree with you. They've done a lot of Org stuff which needed doing but they need to do something at the draft to put their stamp on the team or their basically Dave Nonising (ya it's a verb now) JB's team.   

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I think this is what I'm saying. I agree with you. They've done a lot of Org stuff which needed doing but they need to do something at the draft to put their stamp on the team or their basically Dave Nonising (ya it's a verb now) JB's team.   

They are prolly going to make 2-3 trades. At pressure point moments once they have their cap structure figured out with the big pieces 

- Miller

- Garland / Myers 

- pearson 

- dickinson 

- poolman if possible 

I could see them taking a run at Forsberg too no way Alvin isn’t a fan 

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

There is a reason why Bob has him ranked only at #16 and NOT in the top 10. Following is from a scouting report on Brad Lambert. Other scouting services have mentioned similar

observations.

But, Lambert has been criticized for his lack of effort. Perhaps this is something that can be attributed to being an 18-year-old or just a general lack of motor, but scouts have criticized Lambert for taking shifts off. A very ephemeral criticism, but one that is present enough to have draft experts wary of Lambert and has caused some to suggest that he will fall in the draft.

I take bobs rankings with a grain of salt. Some team is trying to drive his stock down. It happens in every pro draft. 

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd be happy with McGroarty - captained the USNDT team, has size, plays with an edge 

I love rutger. He reminds so much of stone and robertson in how smart he plays the the game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Ohgren is a stud. He's ranked more around 20 for the most part, but he would definitely fit well in our system particularly. New age power forward. Why not? 

Just recently watched (recorded) the U-18 Gold game (USA-SWE) and the line of Ohgren - Ostlund - Lekkerimaki was noticeable all game. They're also now gold medalists. I'd like any one of them on the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just recently watched (recorded) the U-18 Gold game (USA-SWE) and the line of Ohgren - Ostlund - Lekkerimaki was noticeable all game. They're also now gold medalists. I'd like any one of them on the Canucks. 

Canucks are def high on these three players. They all have very high ceilings. I think they will all be top 6 forwards. Which would be quite a cool draft story years down road. 

I think ostlund will be last to become an nhler but he has a very high ceiling