The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers re-sign Sam Bennett

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

people remember Calgary Sam, not Florida Sam.

Fair I guess. Seems pretty obvious now he was pretty mishandled/under utilized there. 

And nothing could make me happier than watching players leave Calgary and go on to success elsewhere, while they continue to implode :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fair I guess. Seems pretty obvious now he was pretty mishandled/under utilized there. 

And nothing could make me happier than watching players leave Calgary and go on to success elsewhere, while they continue to implode :lol:

it does seem a little risky to me, it is based on bubble play. 

But yeah, its funny watching Calgary shed good players. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it does seem a little risky to me, it is based on bubble play. 

But yeah, its funny watching Calgary shed good players. 

Maybe he doesn't quite keep up the offensive production, everyone has a 'career year' at some point. But even if he only scores at 80-90% that rate, he's still worth it based on all the other things he does IMO.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe he doesn't quite keep up the offensive production, everyone has a 'career year' at some point. But even if he only scores at 80-90% that rate, he's still worth it based on all the other things he does IMO.

this is one of those valuing the 'intangibles' for sure, but sometimes thats worth it. Plays like Jake should have. 

Really needed a bridge 2 year deal to see if he can continue this play, but he surely won't I think he'll end up a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, maybe 50-60 point getter with Florida in the end. Doubt he ends up with 80+ points next year but you never know based on how well he clicked in Florida.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Lol. Hey Jake. This could of been you. 

Potential Jake perversion aside, Bennett started to strive when given opportunities in Florida that he didn't get in Calgary. Funnily enough, this could still be Jake if he gets a look somewhere. Again, assuming he's not a pervert. But then again, there's always Montreal. They don't seem to care.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Potential Jake perversion aside, Bennett started to strive when given opportunities in Florida that he didn't get in Calgary. Funnily enough, this could still be Jake if he gets a look somewhere. Again, assuming he's not a pervert. But then again, there's always Montreal. They don't seem to care.

Could be but Sam has put in the effort to become better and showed up in the playoffs. Jake, not so much. Will be interesting to see if Jake gets another opportunity,  and even more interesting to see if he doesn't crap it away. 

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Could be but Sam has put in the effort to become better and showed up in the playoffs. Jake, not so much. Will be interesting to see if Jake gets another opportunity,  and even more interesting to see if he doesn't crap it away. 

I mean, again the comparison seems unfair cause Bennett had like 5 cracks at the playoffs in his career. Jake has had one. And that was playing alongside a broken Roussel and Beagle. Both of which we paid to get rid of. Bennett had 6 points in his first 15 playoff games. Jake has 3 in his first 16. But I admit Bennett really evolved his game. I was really big on trying to acquire him for cheap while he was being misused in Calgary. Good on Florida for cashing in.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, again the comparison seems unfair cause Bennett had like 5 cracks at the playoffs in his career. Jake has had one. And that was playing alongside a broken Roussel and Beagle. Both of which we paid to get rid of. Bennett had 6 points in his first 15 playoff games. Jake has 3 in his first 16. But I admit Bennett really evolved his game. I was really big on trying to acquire him for cheap while he was being misused in Calgary. Good on Florida for cashing in.

I remember saying awhile back there was no way I'd trade Jake for Sam. Lol, better stick to my day job. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Good for FLA.  They got themselves a good player, who plays hard.  

Overpay imho. But absolutely. Good on Sam for putting himself in this position. That optimizes a hockey player. Your down, pushed, forgotten and you push back even harder to take your space. One of the reasons I love this game. 

34 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really needed a bridge 2 year deal to see if he can continue this play, but he surely won't I think he'll end up a consistent 20-30 goal scorer, maybe 50-60 point getter with Florida in the end. Doubt he ends up with 80+ points next year but you never know based on how well he clicked in Florida.

If he was expected to score 80+ points (on top of his hard, two way play), he would have got WAY more than $4.4m. Try $7m+.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Overpay imho. But absolutely. Good on Sam for putting himself in this position. That optimizes a hockey player. Your down, pushed, forgotten and you push back even harder to take your space. One of the reasons I love this game. 

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I remember saying awhile back there was no way I'd trade Jake for Sam. Lol, better stick to my day job. 

:bigblush:

Edited by aGENT

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hey, we're all just fans at the end of the day. I remember thinking the Loui deal was great. Boy did that not pan out. I remember thinking Glass shoulda been our pick in the 2017 draft. I wanted Jeremy Roy in the 2015 draft. Hell I been one of the biggest Jake defenders on the board, so I am not above having silly takes. Lol.

• Cheers 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Hey, we're all just fans at the end of the day. I remember thinking the Loui deal was great. Boy did that not pan out. I remember thinking Glass shoulda been our pick in the 2017 draft. I wanted Jeremy Roy in the 2015 draft. Hell I been one of the biggest Jake defenders on the board, so I am not above having silly takes. Lol.

Lol. I thought the exact same on all those. I remember saying to the boy when we drafted that skinny Swede in 2017, "good grief", "passsed on another WHLer". Love you Petey and can't wait to watch you next year and glad I was 100 percent wrong. 

• Upvote 2